FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   DHS Proposes Secret Watchlist (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1246628-dhs-proposes-secret-watchlist.html)

mules Aug 10, 2011 6:44 pm

DHS Proposes Secret Watchlist

http://www.dailytech.com/DHS+Propose...ticle22406.htm

"...Now, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is giving the American people a whole new list of worries in the realm of privacy. According to recent reports, DHS is planning to duplicate the FBI's Terrorist Screening Database to expand an extensive database called Watchlist Service, which will include names, birthdays, photos and biometrics of the accused. The new watchlist will combine four different DHS systems of records including IDENT, which is managed by the US-VISIT Program; Treasury Enforcement Communication System (TECS), which is managed by Custom and Border Protection (CBP) Passenger Systems Program Office; Transportation Security Threat Assessment System managed by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and the TSA's Secure Flight Records.

The problem is that the DHS has proposed to exempt the Watchlist Service from Privacy Act provisions, which means that a person will never know if they are listed...

With DHS creating a consolidated watchlist database for increased government access, more names are likely to be placed on the list. But people will not be allowed to see the list or know if they have been wrongfully placed on this list..."

jtodd Aug 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Just another step in the transformation to Soviet Amerika. :mad:

SFOSpiff Aug 10, 2011 7:13 pm

What I'm most bothered about is the idea of no accountability and no way to rectify mistakes. I don't see how having an internal means to review how information was obtained and processed could possibly be a threat to national security. What it is a threat to, perhaps, is those who want to steamroll towards their goal, whatever that is, and can't be bothered if innocent people get caught up or have their lives negatively impacted.

For everyone out there who wasn't really bothered by the warrantless wiretapping thing a few years ago, this was the outcome. The government successfully created a precedent that having an independent body approving and reviewing their activities even after the fact was too much of a burden.

OnTheAsile Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_...penGovernment/
.................................................. ...............................................
"Memorandum for the Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies

"SUBJECT: Transparency and Open Government

My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

Government should be transparent. Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their Government is doing. Information maintained by the Federal Government is a national asset. My Administration will take appropriate action, consistent with law and policy, to disclose information rapidly in forms that the public can readily find and use...................
BARACK OBAMA"

.................................................. .................................................. .
Guess that this does not apply to the TSA.

FriendlySkies Aug 10, 2011 9:25 pm

:eek:

This really worries me.. What's it going to take for one to be put on this list?

msimons Aug 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 16900066)

This really worries me.. What's it going to take for one to be put on this list?

Probably videotaping the TSA lounging around.

In all seriousness this has to be un-American.
Probably one way to find out if you're on it is to apply, then be denied being part of the "assured traveler program" or whatever they're going to call it.

Pesky Monkey Aug 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 16900066)

The U.S. government's fascination with lists is incredibly pathetic. If only they could have a Wall Street Watch List, we might be in a better situation.

bocastephen Aug 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Another reason why Obama needs to be thrown out of office in 2012 - this stuff should be coming from a Republican president, not someone who promised change and transparency.

This whole process is utterly disgusting - no Privacy Act, no way to know if you're on the list, no way to know how to get off the list and we all know it will be populated with political critics and other non-terrorists just like the current watch list.

SFOSpiff Aug 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 16900216)
just like the current watch list.

If it's just like the current watch list, which was started under a Republican president, how is switching parties going to help anything?

bluenotesro Aug 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Never thought that my country would lower itself to the likes of North Korea or the ex-Soviet Union....

Absolutely disturbing news. Where are our representatives on this issue? Why aren't they, and the people of this fair and lost land, raising holy hell about this?

Nary a word will be said in opposing this garbage, I'm afraid....we are truly lost.

Mabuk dan gila Aug 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Due Process????????????? Your day in court?????????????

I don't even recognize this country anymore. It's like one of those "bad" third world countries I used to hear about when I was a kid.

bluenotesro Aug 10, 2011 11:45 pm

[QUOTE=Mabuk dan gila;16900467]Due Process????????????? Your day in court?????????????

I don't even recognize this country anymore. It's like one of those "bad" third world countries I used to hear about when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

We've already become a third world country and we're on the way to becoming a dictatorship with all the trappings.

dan1431 Aug 11, 2011 6:39 am

Is this another bad decision? YES!
Is this anti-US values? It was (at least) at one point!
Does this mean that the USA is not what it once was? Kind-of?

I generally agree with the anti-TSA group around here, but this is extreme to say that we have lost many of the freedoms that we (as a country) once enjoyed.
While I agree we have lost some (freedoms) and will probably loose more we still have many freedoms that people around the world are unable to enjoy.

Is this new watch-list right? NO!
Do I believe a Republican Administration would stop all this craziness? Absolutely Not!
Did I believe that Obama would be instituting these kinds of rules/regs? NO!

Dan

bluenotesro Aug 11, 2011 7:36 am

The first people to put on this list will be those who disagree with it.

Caradoc Aug 11, 2011 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bluenotesro (Post 16901859)
The first people to put on this list will be those who disagree with it.

Then we should all be on it. Those who aren't on it for disagreeing with it are Quislings at best.