Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

Reprimanded for Photographing UA Check in Desks at JFK

Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
(sigh) whatever.
You're clearly on a mission, go for it.
Thanks! I will!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Total guess, but United will respond with the same form response they did a couple of weeks ago when the woman in Houston went to the press because United made her stop taking pictures

Quote:
What you refer to as a law is actually a United policy. We strive to make its customer experience safe and comfortable and accordingly issued the following policy in regard to the use of personal audio and video equipment. This policy is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.

Unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited. Any voice, audio, video, or other photography (motion or still), recording, or transmission while on any United Airlines aircraft or in the terminal is strictly prohibited, except to the extent specifically permitted by United Airlines.

Insistence on violating any one of these prohibitions could lead to arrest or being placed on the "no-fly list". Those results are extreme but are possible depending on the environment at the time. I hope this information helps.
Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's their policy and they enforce it.

It took her two weeks to get a response, so be patient.
Wait, so it's not a law, but violating their policy can get one arrested?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
No, you didn't "explain to me" at all. You came up with a lot of "ifs" to which you have now added a "may".

I'll reserve my judgment until the OP clarifies, not somebody who wasn't there who keeps presenting a series of increasingly unlikely hypotheticals.
Could you repeat your question that you would like me, the OP, to clarify?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
Well, they couldn't say, "We'll never let you fly United again" because that would lead to thousands of people running to the airport with their cameras.

Mike
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
Well, they couldn't say, "We'll never let you fly United again" because that would lead to thousands of people running to the airport with their cameras.

Mike
^

Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's their policy and they enforce it.

It took her two weeks to get a response, so be patient.
So this would be a verboten picture under 'policy' ?

This bird has bit of a chapped nose.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:29 pm

I have taken pictures at EWR/JFK and at JFK I was stopped by the PANYNJ Police and asked why I was taking pictures of certain aircraft.

When I explained that I am documenting my trip and that the plane I was taking pictures of is the plane that I am going to be flying in a little bit, the officer relaxed and wished me a pleasant journey.

I did ask if I was breaking any rules and his answer was that, no not technically but that the PANYNJ does discourage photography (unless you are with the press/etc.) and that I should not be surprised if other officers notice what I am doing and stop me for questioning.

In the end, nobody else questioned nor stopped me and I did have a great trip, just a little annoyance at the start.

Should it be discouraged? No, it should not, but I was lucky to have dealt with an officer who was honest and realized that I was not a threat.

Dan
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks but no need, I've closed the conversation with the other poster by using the ignore function on him/her/it.

S/he was coming up with a whole series of hypotheticals involving the scenario of you taking the pictures, I was suggesting that he didn't know what he was talking about and he got a little heated.

The way the discussion was going I think the next step would have been to suggest that you may have actually been standing on the moon with a version of the Hubble telescope and therefore the airline wouldn't have had any say in whether you could take pictures or not.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by CMK10
Badger's question was simple: would you like someone coming into your place of work and taking photos? You can see the original question here.

I am not sure what there is to clarify anyway? It doesn't matter if one likes having their photo taken in a public space or not. The SCOTUS has already ruled on this issue: you have no expectation of privacy when in public. Yet it never ceases to amaze me how people think that the law is a helpful suggestion and can be mitigated by personal preference.

While the PA may try to circumvent that ruling by giving the impression that they have the power to ignore the SCOTUS, we now have two reports that the PA, when directly asked, admits they have no authority to stop people from taking photos in the terminals, but would prefer people didn't.

And, for that, I was accused of creating "hypotheticals."

C'est la vie, I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by dan1431
I have taken pictures at EWR/JFK and at JFK I was stopped by the PANYNJ Police and asked why I was taking pictures of certain aircraft.

When I explained that I am documenting my trip and that the plane I was taking pictures of is the plane that I am going to be flying in a little bit, the officer relaxed and wished me a pleasant journey.

I did ask if I was breaking any rules and his answer was that, no not technically but that the PANYNJ does discourage photography (unless you are with the press/etc.) and that I should not be surprised if other officers notice what I am doing and stop me for questioning.
I've spoken with the PA about their photography 'practices' and what happened to you seems inline with what they explained to me as their policy.

I was told, technically we can't stop you from taking photos, but we train our officers, guards, etc. to stop and confront those taking pictures. PA went on to say we want to know who these people are.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
So this would be a verboten picture under 'policy' ?

This bird has bit of a chapped nose.
I have some pictures just like that, at the same gate!

I guess the picture of myself in the co-pilot's seat (still same gate) taken by one of the crew is OK, unless that particular crewmember is not authorised under the United Airlines Criminal Code to waive the no-photography policy.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Yusef
I have some pictures just like that, at the same gate!

I guess the picture of myself in the co-pilot's seat (still same gate) taken by one of the crew is OK, unless that particular crewmember is not authorised under the United Airlines Criminal Code to waive the no-photography policy.
As always ought to be the case, welcome to FT.

United Airlines Criminal Code enforcer has warned some passengers that joking about UA behaving like a shared taxi is a violation too.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Louie_LI
Yes, for tresspassing. If a private property owner puts conditions on your using their property and you don't adhere to those conditions, tresspassing is a possibility (though the situation is quite complex in a quasi-public space like a privately-owned airport).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I think the time has come -- perhaps it's long overdue -- to distinguish the interests of the airline itself (United, in this case) from those of its employees. Sure, employees don't really enjoy being photographed. We all get that. And they'll pull out all kinds of excuses to stop passengers (and even non-passengers) from taking photographs of them. In this case, the airline has even written a rule that conveniently serves the interests of its employees, though it does little or nothing that I can discern to serve the airline's own interests. In this case, the Port Authority also wants to discourage photography, so all the interests are neatly aligned -- except those of the photographers, of course.

Having said all that, does anyone really believe that the airline would cite a photographer for trespassing because he or she failed to follow a meaningless and likely illegal rule? And endure all the attendant bad publicity? Personally, I find that very hard to believe. If pushed to the wall on this, any sensible airline -- and United is in that category -- will back down. So will the Port Authority, as experience has shown. And the employees will be peeved, but that's just too bad for them.

Bruce
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I was told, technically we can't stop you from taking photos, but we train our officers, guards, etc. to stop and confront those taking pictures. PA went on to say we want to know who these people are.
Because, of course, someone with nefarious intent would never lie to the port authority.

I mean, c'mon. Even with my limited intelligence, if I wanted to do photo surveillance of JFK, it'd be easy to do. All I need to do is get several other members of my resistance cell improv club to come along with me, pretend to be my wife & kids on vacation, and as I have them pose for pictures to commemorate our trip, use my camera to take pictures of items right next to where they're standing.

I'm sure it'd work. After all, it worked on Hogan's Heroes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.