FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Another Awesome Job, Blogdad Bob! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1246038-another-awesome-job-blogdad-bob.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Aug 9, 2011 6:34 am

Another Awesome Job, Blogdad Bob!

Checkout the video-clip attached to Blogdad Bob's 8/5/2011 Entry, Weird Science: Traveling With Homemade Gadgets .

Pay attention to "Dave from TSA’s Explosives Operation Division" as he explains that there are *four* items common to IEDs: (1) Power Source, such as a batter; (2) Initiator; and (3) Explosive Material.

The video has been linked to in the FT thread Omaha airport terminal evacuated , but I figure that the "accounting discrepancy" warrants its own thread...

IslandBased Aug 9, 2011 7:04 am

Out of an Abundance of Ignorance (er, Caution) as usual....

RadioGirl Aug 9, 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 16886954)
Pay attention to "Dave from TSA’s Explosives Operation Division" as he explains that there are *four* items common to IEDs: (1) Power Source, such as a batter; (2) Initiator; and (3) Explosive Material.

What a maroon! Obviously, that's 3.4 items. ;)

TSA: just when you think stupid couldn't get any worse.

Boggie Dog Aug 9, 2011 8:22 am

Well, he does work for TSA.

bitburgr Aug 9, 2011 8:23 am

The 4th item is SSI.

Upstate Aug 9, 2011 10:43 am

You know if I was going to build a detonator I would package it in an old cell phone body that would pass right through an xray machine. Terrorist are not dumb enough to think they can get through with a ghetto rigged device.

SATTSO Aug 9, 2011 11:25 am

Checkout the video-clip attached to Blogdad Bob's 8/5/2011 Entry, Weird Science: Traveling With Homemade Gadgets .

The video has been linked to in the FT thread Omaha airport terminal evacuated , but I figure that the "accounting discrepancy" warrants its own thread...

Its actually clearly apparent the video was edited, most likely by someone on the blog staff, cutting off the beginning of the video, and the end.

But take cheap shots where you can get them. ^

steve65341 Aug 9, 2011 11:55 am

The video states to "think about not packing these items together". I guess that means just packing the separate items in different bags or moving them through different checkpoints. This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen from BB. How exactly is this making anyone "safer" ?

G_Wolf Aug 9, 2011 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 16888883)
Its actually clearly apparent the video was edited, most likely by someone on the blog staff, cutting off the beginning of the video, and the end.

Fair enough. But the post also contains the following, immediately before the video:
"I spoke with Dave today from TSA’s Explosives Operation Division about what types of thing can cause your bag to be checked. Watch the video to see what he had to say."

This pretty clearly implies that the video will contain material specifically intended and recorded primarily and initially for the audience of the blog post. However, the actual contents of the video are, as you mention, clearly edited from a different video, which likely had been recorded for a different purpose.

That, to me, is the frustrating part... it comes across as puerile and amateur. There's absolutely no reason to be misleading here. Just say that it comes from a training video, or other material, or something like that. By promulgating such an obvious lie, it undermines any attempt to gain credibility, in my opinion.

bocastephen Aug 9, 2011 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by steve65341 (Post 16889119)
The video states to "think about not packing these items together". I guess that means just packing the separate items in different bags or moving them through different checkpoints. This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen from BB. How exactly is this making anyone "safer" ?

Just in case any terrorists were confused about the correct process, he's cleared it up for them :)

jtodd Aug 9, 2011 12:19 pm

Yeah, because I have 4 carry-on bags when I travel. :rolleyes:

MaximumSisu Aug 9, 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jtodd (Post 16889285)
Yeah, because I have 4 carry-on bags when I travel. :rolleyes:

Good one jtodd. Because terrorists never travel in groups. Why, on 9/11 --- oops, never mind.

studentff Aug 9, 2011 3:00 pm

In a hypothetical world where common sense were used, it would make sense to take strange-looking items out of a carry on and put them in a bin. That way, TSA could use their low-tech eyes to look at the item without doing a bag check and prior to panicking and yelling "Bravo" and calling the BAO, bomb squad, swat team, or whoever else they call. In this common-sense world, upon seeing the item on an x-ray, the screener would ask a useful question like "what's in the bin?" and listen to the response before panicking.

However, that did not work for this custom battery pack:

http://www.tsa.gov/graphics/images/press/scot_peele.jpg

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/scot_peele.shtm

Note that TSA claims they did not doctor the photo and that the item was actually sent through the x-ray by the passenger just like shown in the picture. So much for separating out unusual items to make them visible and avoid overreaction.

Of course, the item was confiscated "voluntarily" surrendered in spite of being confirmed as not a threat.

fishferbrains Aug 9, 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by G_Wolf (Post 16889217)

That, to me, is the frustrating part... it comes across as puerile and amateur.

Amateur? Puerile? This is the TSA we're talking about right?

Here's my surprised look: :eek:

SurlyJoe Aug 9, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 16888883)

How about the "Three Simple Steps to Security" listed on the TSA's Travel Tips PDF, SATTSO? Is it clearly apparent that it was edited as well? The only thing apparent to me is that TSA can't count to three. :D

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311_brochure.pdf