Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA to use new method to obscure information: QR codes

Old Aug 4, 11, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/08/tsa-to-p...-codes-on.html

Why am I reminded of the "Starship Troopers" movie with, "Would You Like to Know More?"
Old Aug 4, 11, 2:58 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
This looks like an opportunity to get large QR Code stickers of our own printed up, pointing somewhere else. Then arrive early and have fun with any sign that happens to have been left unprotected.
Old Aug 4, 11, 3:31 pm

What's the point?

Even if you had access to your phone, the agent will just tell you that the website is outdated information and their way is the new standard - at least at this airport as part of the randomness of screening at different airports to keep the terrywrists confused.

As well, since he notes that less information can now be displayed on the sign with the QR code, does that put people who don't own (or can't afford, or don't want) a smart phone at a disadvantage?

Last edited by Mientree; Aug 4, 11 at 3:32 pm Reason: grammar edit...
Old Aug 4, 11, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Just when some are concluding that QR codes are a bust because so few people use them
Old Aug 4, 11, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mientree View Post
As well, since he notes that less information can now be displayed on the sign with the QR code, does that put people who don't own (or can't afford, or don't want) a smart phone at a disadvantage?
And will the QR-linked site be ADA-enabled for the visually impaired?

(Speaking of which - how would the visually impaired even know there was a QR code, let alone how to load it?)
Old Aug 4, 11, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Really? Does TSA really need to spend more money designing, printing and replacing signs just for a silly QR code that half the population can't use anyway?

Seriously, is this the best use of our tax money?

(Yes, I am aware this is not the best use, but saying "seriously" and "really" is about the only thing keeping me from banging my head on the wall.)
Old Aug 4, 11, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal View Post
Really? Does TSA really need to spend more money designing, printing and replacing signs just for a silly QR code that half the population can't use anyway?
Sure. 'Cuz it's cool. After all, reprinting the signs that told people that they could only bring in 3 ounces of liquids would've been "wasteful" ...
Old Aug 4, 11, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal View Post

Seriously, is this the best use of our tax money?

(Yes, I am aware this is not the best use, but saying "seriously" and "really" is about the only thing keeping me from banging my head on the wall.)
It's completely in line with the TSA's philosophy of looking for the latest and shiniest technology and gadgets to solve problems that don't even exist. In some regards, it's no different than the roll-out of the body scanners. I wonder how many people use the TSA iPhone app, or even know it exists.
Old Aug 4, 11, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
... latest and shiniest ...
hehe. Latest and shiniest to THEM, perhaps. I eagerly await their myspace social media team to roll out a new look.
Old Aug 4, 11, 5:24 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
It's completely in line with the TSA's philosophy of looking for the latest and shiniest technology and gadgets to solve problems that don't even exist. In some regards, it's no different than the roll-out of the body scanners. I wonder how many people use the TSA iPhone app, or even know it exists.
TSA has its own iPhone app?

Seriously?!

Really?!

Oy, vey...
Old Aug 4, 11, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post

Seriously?!

Really?!

Oy, vey...
Yep, I find it as useless as TSA screeners.
Old Aug 4, 11, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a great deflection. They completely avoided the Constitutional q.uestion of the SPOTNik interrogations.

Don't worry, Blogdad Bob, we haven't forgotten
Old Aug 4, 11, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post

Seriously?!

Really?!

Oy, vey...
Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
Yep, I find it as useless as TSA screeners.
At least the phone app doesn't fondle your "resistance".
Old Aug 4, 11, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
Just when some are concluding that QR codes are a bust because so few people use them
Bingo. Even Google, one of the biggest proponents of QR codes (I believe QR reading capability is built into the Android camera app), has all but abandoned QR in favor of NFC (near-field contact).

It takes just as much time to open an app that can read a QR code, scan the code, and wait for the URL to resolve as it does to type a short URL and tap 'submit'.
Old Aug 4, 11, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
I recently saw an on the T in Boston that had a QR code. The ad was across the track from the platform, on the center columns separating the inbound and outbound tracks.

Forget about the bar code being 20 feet away: you'd probably get hassled by a T cop or employee for taking pictures on the T!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: