Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced SPOT kicking off at Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Enhanced SPOT kicking off at Boston

Quoting from the Boston Herald article

Boston’s TSA screeners — part of a security force whose competency has come under fire nationwide — soon will be carrying out sophisticated behavioral inspections under a first-in-the-nation program that’s already raising concerns of racial profiling, harassment of innocent travelers and longer lines.

and another favorite snippet...

At Logan, about 70 agents — all with college degrees — are undergoing training by an international consulting firm that includes a four-day classroom course and 24 hours of on-the-job experience, said TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis.

What could go wrong with that level of training available to them? Full article is available here.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:16 am

“I’m not convinced that the TSA has good enough people to make the Israeli approach work on a large scale,” said Glenn Reynolds, a University of Tennessee law professor who has followed the TSA at his blog, Instapundit.com.

But he noted, “Almost anything would be an improvement over the clown show we’ve got now.”

I'm waiting for the first interaction with a toddler....
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Did the article mention what college degrees these folks have? With TSA as their employer, I can't imagine there are even any mid-tier college graduates among their ranks.

I wouldn't be surprised if most (or all) of the 70 "college" "graduates" had degrees from DeVry University, Strayer University, and University of Phoenix. Or perhaps TSA now counts community college "graduates" with mere 2 year degrees as "college graduates"... Either way, I still very much doubt we're talking about folks who can really think for themselves. (If they could, they would have left TSA long ago - out of sheer frustration, if nothing else.)

And I'm impressed, really impressed. Start off with no experience, and -poof- -presto- 5 days later you're a crack BDO, able to sniff out mythical airport terrorists and save the day. (OK, it's really more like -poof- -presto- you're now able to further embarrass yourself, your agency, and your country...)
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Many come from this fine institution. BDOs in the Midwest tend to graduate from here.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by tev9999
Many come from this fine institution. BDOs in the Midwest tend to graduate from here.
Ahh... So they aspire to graduate from DeVry "some day". It's nice to have ambitions in life.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by clrankin
Did the article mention what college degrees these folks have? With TSA as their employer, I can't imagine there are even any mid-tier college graduates among their ranks.

I wouldn't be surprised if most (or all) of the 70 "college" "graduates" had degrees from DeVry University, Strayer University, and University of Phoenix. Or perhaps TSA now counts community college "graduates" with mere 2 year degrees as "college graduates"... Either way, I still very much doubt we're talking about folks who can really think for themselves. (If they could, they would have left TSA long ago - out of sheer frustration, if nothing else.)

And I'm impressed, really impressed. Start off with no experience, and -poof- -presto- 5 days later you're a crack BDO, able to sniff out mythical airport terrorists and save the day. (OK, it's really more like -poof- -presto- you're now able to further embarrass yourself, your agency, and your country...)
I had a url around somewhere, yet it claimed that in cy '10, something like 12% of the TSO force had completed a 2yr program, and just around 20% had completed at least one college-level course. Reading the educational/experience requirements for a TSO in band-D is eye-opening.

As long as the degree was from one of the six Regional Accreditation Agencies, more power to them. For DTW/FNT, expect to see a lot of graduates from Schoolcraft? If at the TSES level, that's when you start seeing some impressive stuff (mainly business and military schools).

Originally Posted by tev9999
If they did it right, they'd graduate from FSU or ISU, and the degree would be from an accredited university.

Ok, that was a subtle reference...

The training for the Israeli-style screening — a projected $1 billion national program dubbed Screening Passengers by Observation Techniques — kicks off today at Logan International Airport and will be put to use in Terminal A on Aug. 15. It requires screeners to make quick reads of whether passengers pose a danger or a terror threat based on their reactions to a set of routine questions.

OK, I'm totally confused. Wasn't this the very technique that the TSA said wouldn't work in the US, because of scale issues? What's changed between then, and now?! Pick a freakin' message...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
As much as I suspect this program to be a complete failure, it sure would be nice if it _replaced_ the body scanner/patdown regime. Wishful thinking, I know...

Second, I see this program as a perfect way to sway some of the "anything for security" crowd. In my experience "anything for security" seems to be highly correlated with "nervous flier." If this program is successful in looking for the traits it claims to be, I would suspect a disproportionate number of "nervous fliers" get flagged for intensive groping.

I believe it only takes one good "resistance" check to convert someone from "anything for security" to "TSA is out of control"
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I was taught the job I do now in 4-5 three-day classes to get the basics. I was even certified. It took five years of experience and trial and error to become proficient. It to another fifteen years of experimentation and development to become a true professional.

What do I do?

I look for clues and anomalies in otherwise normal-appearing situations and try to determine those that may be dangerous or indications of more significant problems. I use a combination of technology, observation and asking questions.

Learning the basics could be done by anyone. Learning the job requires a special skill set that not everyone may have. It does not require a college degree, but the skills required to successfully complete a highly technical or intensive degree are similar skills to those required to become proficient.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: OnePass
BDO: Where are you going today?
Me: I have nothing to say to you. Am I free go to?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by mikemey
BDO: Where are you going today?
Me: I have nothing to say to you. Am I free go to?
Technically (and PTravel or another resident lawyer or LEO can feel free to correct me) I don't think you'd even need to ask if you're free to go. BDOs have no powers of arrest or detention.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by weaklyflyer

Boston’s TSA screeners — part of a security force whose competency has come under fire nationwide — soon will be carrying out sophisticated behavioral inspections under a first-in-the-nation program that’s already raising concerns of racial profiling, harassment of innocent travelers and longer lines.
Sophisticated behavioral inspections.
sophisticated [səˈfɪstɪˌkeɪtɪd]
adj
1. having refined or cultured tastes and habits
2. appealing to sophisticates a sophisticated restaurant
3. unduly refined or cultured
4. pretentiously or superficially wise
5. (of machines, methods, etc.) complex and refined
Sounds about right.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by celticwhisper
Technically (and PTravel or another resident lawyer or LEO can feel free to correct me) I don't think you'd even need to ask if you're free to go. BDOs have no powers of arrest or detention.
The reason to ask is in the hope they'll say "no".
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
The reason to ask is in the hope they'll say "no".
Ahhhhh. Slick ........
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by weaklyflyer

and another favorite snippet...

At Logan, about 70 agents — all with college degrees — are undergoing training by an international consulting firm that includes a four-day classroom course and 24 hours of on-the-job experience, said TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis.

What could go wrong with that level of training available to them? Full article is available here.
As opposed to the current harassment of innocent travelers?

This "new program" sounds just like the FOX show Lie to Me.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This should be fun
Under the SPOT program, as passengers hand over their boarding passes and identification, specially trained agents will ask three to four questions — from “Where have you been?” to “Do you have a business card?” and “Where are you traveling?” — while looking for “micro expressions,” such as lack of eye contact, that might hint at nefarious intent.
None of your business, Also none of your business, as you can see on the BP to: <airport>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.