FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Andrea Abbott Arrest Video Released (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1242306-andrea-abbott-arrest-video-released.html)

Affection Jul 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Andrea Abbott Arrest Video Released

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...r-court-Monday

This video makes me so angry. Watch the way he points at her and puts his hands up in her space. Watch how he physically gets in the way of her trying to video record. Watch how when she's arrested she's not doing ANYTHING that interfered with anyone else in that airport.

This is bullsh*t.

--Jon

tanja Jul 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Beeing a mom I would have done the same as she did. the TSO went all the way up to the girls genitals. ONE WORD SICK.

Once beeing a teenager. I would have revolted so bad. I would have screamed , kicked and spit at TSO.

I would not have obeyed at all. Then again I always have been rebelious.

Boggie Dog Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Just where does TSA find all of the physically unfit employees?

Pizza boxes?

Rondall Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by tanja (Post 16824837)
Beeing a mom I would have done the same as she did. the TSO went all the way up to the girls genitals. ONE WORD SICK.

Once beeing a teenager. I would have revolted so bad. I would have screamed , kicked and spit at TSO.

I would not have obeyed at all. Then again I always have been rebelious.

Four times. I don't think mom saw it happen.:mad: As an aside, I must say the TSO doing the groping looks a little butch to me.

tanja Jul 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rondall (Post 16824932)
Four times. I don't think mom saw it happen.:mad: The TSO looks a little butch to me.

Watch the video. She saw it, she was there. Mom was very upset and verbal about it. that ended her up being arressted. A very sick world.

Rondall Jul 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by tanja (Post 16825002)
Watch the video. She saw it, she was there. Mom was very upset and verbal about it. that ended her up being arressted. A very sick world.

I will watch it again once I calm down. It looked to me like the LEO was standing in the way for mom to have a clear view of the fondling.

Affection Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm

He was. He was willfulling violating this woman's first amendment rights to make a video recording of the situation. This man should be terminated from his position and sued personally for everything he has. There is NO EXCUSE for law enforcement to prohibit people from filming, and they damn well know this.

Originally Posted by Rondall (Post 16825034)
I will watch it again once I calm down. It looked to me like the LEO was standing in the way for mom to have a clear view of the fondling.

--Jon

eturowski Jul 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Okay... so this is what's bugging me...

According to the Facestalkers among us, the profile picture for "Sabrina Birge" (the screener who administered the pat down) on Facebook was of a svelte young blonde (albeit with a retro "feathered" hairstyle) sitting outside with her dog. She was from Nashville, TN and was pursuing a degree in Homeland Security or something.

The person in the video is not the person who was pictured in that profile. And there were some not-so-nice things said regarding that person's Avon job and schooling.

Is it possible that there are two Sabrina Birges in Nashville and that one was unfairly targeted in this incident? Or did she just have a really old profile picture?

Affection Jul 29, 2011 9:08 pm

The TSA woman in the video was an STSO. Sabrina was the first TSO to encounter her after the TDC. Once the situation escalated, the STSO took over.

--Jon

eturowski Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Ah, okay. That makes more sense.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

The rest of the video is infuriating, too. The LEO physically bumps Ms. Abbott out of the way when he is trying to keep her from filming. And from what I can guess, it looks like Ms. Abbott was handed a comment card, was on her way out of the checkpoint, and then something happened with the pushy male LEO that just set everyone over the edge.

Affection Jul 29, 2011 9:15 pm

From what I gather, towards the end of the video and after they molested her daughter, the STSO told Andrea that she was going to need a pat-down too. It seemed Andrea was objecting to that retaliatory pat-down, and the "officer" decided that women with sharp tongues belong in jail.

Originally Posted by eturowski (Post 16825077)
And from what I can guess, it looks like Ms. Abbott was handed a comment card, was on her way out of the checkpoint, and then something happened with the pushy male LEO that just set everyone over the edge.

--Jon

MrsGraupel Jul 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I believe there was a poster in the thread on the original incident that said they were a LEO at BNA and knew the officer involved personally and this officer was a laid back guy. Wonder if he still feels that way after watching the tape?

Wally Bird Jul 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Affection (Post 16825044)
There is NO EXCUSE for law enforcement to prohibit people from filming, and they damn well know this.

But this was a "laid back" cop we have been informed.

I'd hate to see the uptight ones at BNA then.
I see no disorderly conduct and I hope the jury doesn't either :mad: .

janetdoe Jul 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, the footage makes it pretty clear that the mother wasn't doing anything except talking and trying to walk away. Open and shut First Amendment Case, as far as I can see.

Sorry to disagree; I didn't see any crotch grabbing during the patdown - it really looked like just upper leg.

I hope the FTer who works for the Nashville Airport Police will comment on the video and tell us his professional interpretation of the scene.

I do hope she sues the police officer who denied her the right to film the scene - apparently the only way they're ever going to stop violating the First Amendment is if they are punished for it. Do any legal beagles out there know whether the officer can be sued personally? I'm guessing the NPD will not back him up and claim he was performing his official duties when he pulled that stunt. Notice that his action also precluded any audio record of the event. How convenient. :rolleyes:

janetdoe Jul 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrsGraupel (Post 16825125)
I believe there was a poster in the thread on the original incident that said they were a LEO at BNA and knew the officer involved personally and this officer was a laid back guy. Wonder if he still feels that way after watching the tape?

+1 - did you see the way he was shifting and swaying compared to everyone else in the video? It looked like the time-lapse scenes in Paranormal Activity.