Andrea Abbott Arrest Video Released

Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by barbell
From personal experience I can tell you that no, the police are there to protect TSA and allow them free reign to harass, intimidate, and grope to their grubby little hearts' content.
I believe you, but have had two airport experiences that were different. One LEO was called by TSA doing a retaliatory search (pre-Nov '10) after I enlightened an elderly couple next to me who commented that N0S in the next line were puffers. The LTSO had apparently told the LEO that I was being uncooperative and profane. He read me the riot act while I listened as calmly as I could, then asked for my version of what happened. After hearing the details the LTSO had left out, he apparently believed me, because a brief whispered conversation out of my earshot followed, the retaliatory search ended, and the one-striper in charge of ransacking my bag very politely asked if I'd like him to repack it, or preferred to do it myself.

More recently at a different airport, after being groped to the music of the LTSO lecturing me on why it was necessary, I encountered two real LEOs on the way to my gate and asked them about local sex-assault statutes. (Quick, report me!) They both sighed, explained that as local enforcement they could not override Fed procedures, made some comments about TSA that juuust that toed the line for on-duty professionalism, and told me "You DO have the right to have a witness, and they're NOT supposed to start until one gets there if you ASK. We can't make them not touch you, but if you'd feel a bit less uncomfortable with a 240-lb cop leaning over their shoulder, call us anytime."

Of course I can't vouch for that PD as a whole, because a fellow officer on a different visit to that airport informed me that "the Constitution doesn't apply at an airport." When I called the public relations number for that PD to ask whether the oath they take has any reference to the Constitution (not saying why I wanted to know), I was told that release of that information—to a taxpayer of their city who directly supports them—would have to be cleared by IA!

The problem is that a bad or ignorant LEO can mess up your life even more than a bad screener. But airport cop ≠ bad cop.

I'd hope the PPD LEO who nudged Barbara O'Toole into her sexual assault charges against Yukari Miyamae, only to have the DA's office vacate most of them, will be dinged for wasting resources, but my own experiences with PHX PD vary from competent to abysmal, too.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:33 am

I couldn't get the first video link to work, so watched this one (start to finish, ~6 minutes)
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15...rport-incident

This was outrageous, retaliatory, thuggism. All these people gathered around just looking to make this woman pay for questioning them and their actions. And I watched the body mauling closely; that was purely disgusting.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by barbell
And, to the best of my knowledge, having received it, THIS is the SPD. The all the way up the legs to the area of the perineum, then a quick flip horizontally and a slide out the back is "meeting resistance".

Is it any wonder people feel violated after such a procedure?
and yet we see how moral rejects pride themselves on how well they do this and train others to make this disgusting and personally violent move. We have trained a cadre of 60,000 to molest people in this way under color of authority. How can you undo that?

And the head molester, John Pistole, tries to deflect us by saying the molestations would be fewer in number for a few folks in a new test procedure rolling out in the fall. Meanwhile, these molestations occcur hundreds of thousands of times all across this county.

...the police are there to protect TSA and allow them free reign to harass, intimidate, and grope to their grubby little hearts' content.
"to serve and protect" WHO? The citizens? When it came down to it, either this woman had to submit herself and her daughter to a genital exam or that cop was going to take her to jail. He worked himself up into a lather and was just itching to throw the cuffs on her because she resisted this viciousness being imposed on her by an organization that operates not by law by by brute force. ("well, the ATSA says we can do ANYTHING, ANYTHING, we want") the spectacle of him,and the gum chewing cow who was assisting him, leaping toward that woman was amazing. Looks like he was ready to use a baton on her and had to restrain himself.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Disgusting.
Now we have LEO supporting TSA.
Actually over supporting.

The guy need a job dumpster diving.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
^
Having two daughters this is laughing matter to me, but this almost made me spit my coffee on the screen because I laughed so hard.
I saw that on a t-shirt at the following link a while back. Lot's of items to drive the B.S. nuts.

http://shop.cafepress.com/tsa
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
It's Only A Matter Of Time Till.....

After viewing the video I would not want to be a tsa screener because
IF/When the wrong male relative is present someone will go "Postal"!!
And IF it is some mid-east country men they will be "Honor Bound" to protect the female family member.
It is but a matter of time!
These screeners are foolish to continue in this manner. I believe they are putting themselves in danger.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:09 pm

I also reviewed the video. Would have been nice to have audio, that would clear up some questions, but we must work with what we have.

First of all, far too many assumptions are being made by the posters here. What I saw was an obviously concerned parent, one who wanted to be with her daughter during the screening process. With is not the same as being next to. She would not have been allowed to be within reach of the passenger (child) in any case, the mother was not the one being screened. I saw an officer (PD, not TSA) who was intent in not allowing this mother to interfere with the screening process (knowing that it is a FEDERAL charge to do so), and placing himself between the mother and the screening process, standing in the doorway in order to prevent her from entering and disrupting things without his being able to intervene. More it seems as protection for the mother than for the screeners. A Federal charge of Interfering with Screening carries a much higher penalty than Disturbing the Peace. The cops know this. The walls were glass, so if mom wanted to view or even video the process (I don’t work at Memphis so I cant speak to their local laws concerning such), she could have without restriction. The STSO in question did a textbook pat-down. She did not run her hands UP the passengers legs but started at the top and worked down, covering the passengers pockets and the entire leg, both front and back, as is required. Knowing what to expect as I do, I didn’t see anything on the front side pat-down that was out of place, even though we could not see exactly what was taking place.

The second part of the video, which folks here seem to be ignoring, is the part where the parent returned to the checkpoint and began what appears to be disruptive behavior. Obviously she seems upset. The STSO can clearly be seen instructing her to leave the checkpoint at least twice, which the woman obviously refused. The STSO then prevailed upon the LEO’s to intervene but they had no more success getting the distraught woman off the checkpoint than the STSO did, which is when they placed her under arrest.

The police (3 officers you will note, one of which is female) where there as witnesses, both for the mother and the TSA. What was said and in what manner we cannot tell from the video, maybe she was screaming obscenities at the TSA workers, maybe not. But it seemed obvious to me that she was intent on causing problems in the second part of the video, but what exact form those problems took is not clear. Enough for the police to arrest her it seems. She could have simply walked away when her daughter completed screening, but she made a different choice. A bad one obviously.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
The STSO in question did a textbook pat-down. She did not run her hands UP the passengers legs but started at the top and worked down, covering the passengers pockets and the entire leg, both front and back, as is required.
At approximately 2:43 in that video, the tsa clerk puts her hand near the topmost part of the leg and then moves her hand UP the rest of the way, not much, just a little, but enough--with the result that the edge of her hand makes contact with the crotch and the back of her hand moves up and contacts the young lady's crotch and genitals. The young lady flinches a little at that point.

This is simply disgusting.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
This is simply disgusting.
It's even more disgusting when you realize just how many TSA clerks stand around and watch it performed (apparently because they enjoy the show), and how many travelers believe that such actions are "necessary to prevent another 9/11."
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:14 pm

"who was intent in not allowing this mother to interfere with the screening process (knowing that it is a FEDERAL charge to do so), and placing himself between the mother and the screening process, standing in the doorway in order to prevent her from entering and disrupting things without his being able to intervene"

What a load. She was standing there very civilly, just watching the procedure like a hawk; that is, like a good mother.

"The STSO can clearly be seen instructing her to leave the checkpoint at least twice, which the woman obviously refused."

No, I believe that they wanted the mother to go through additional screening, when she had already passed through screening. It was a retaliatory move.

"a textbook pat-down" Yeah, schmushing right into a young girl's labia. You should watch it again. (That's textbook? God help us.)
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I saw an officer (PD, not TSA) who was intent in not allowing this mother to interfere with the screening process (knowing that it is a FEDERAL charge to do so), and placing himself between the mother and the screening process, standing in the doorway in order to prevent her from entering and disrupting things without his being able to intervene.
Wrong. The police officer allowed Ms. Abbott an unobstructed view of the pat down from 1:45 until 2:03 in the video. As soon as she takes her phone out of her bag, though, he moves to block her view of the pat down. Ms. Abbott made no attempts to interfere with the process. She doesn't attempt to move toward her daughter or even speak to her during the pat down, but as soon as her phone is out, the police officer physically prevents her from filming.

Inexcusable.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by bajajoes

After viewing the video I would not want to be a tsa screener because
IF/When the wrong male relative is present someone will go "Postal"!!
And IF it is some mid-east country men they will be "Honor Bound" to protect the female family member.
It is but a matter of time!
These screeners are foolish to continue in this manner. I believe they are putting themselves in danger.
And there's not a jury in the United States who would convict them of knocking the dog crap out of one of those Federal Agents, I mean TSA pervs.

Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by eturowski
but as soon as her phone is out, the police officer physically prevents her from filming.

Inexcusable.
As I stated in earlier post, from a previous BNA incident, the police should have learned their lesson then that it is legal to film. Pleading ignorance now on this case, just wont cut the mustard... Here is the link I posted from earlier in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4E9MkTUIU

Lucky in that incident the cop wasn't dealing with me taking my iPhone away..
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Anyone contact IA in this Sus scrofa domesticus jurisdiction as this is one that needs to loose there badge and be charged with abuse of authority and battery.

There are alot of people people out there that have alot more tolerance then me. If that was my kid there would be a blue shirt on the floor with major level one multi-system trauma injuries as i would not have allowed that to happen. That is if my kid didn't literally beat me to the punch first.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:07 pm

started at the top and worked down, covering the passengers pockets and the entire leg, both front and back, as is required. Knowing what to expect as I do, I didn’t see anything on the front side pat-down that was out of place, even though we could not see exactly what was taking place.

The second part of the video, which folks here seem to be ignoring, is the part where the parent returned to the checkpoint and began what appears to be disruptive behavior.
1. So what is at the top? hint: The answer is not "resistance".
2. Did the victim and her mother know what to expect?
3. It is relatively easy to tell when someone is yelling or screaming and Andrea, the parent does have a name, does not look like she is yelling or screaming.
4. Does using someones actual name make them overly human to you?

If you see nothing wrong with the LEO's and TSA's actions in this video you apparently lack a conscience.

Last edited by Rondall; Jul 30, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.