Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting next to an Air Marshal....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by alexmt
I respectfully disagree, I thought the pre-TSA screeners did much more harassing than the TSA does. They were awful. Probably depends which airports you flew through.
I flew through a lot and I never had any complaints.

No one sexually assaulted me. No one demanded my ID. No one demanded my BP. No one tried to take naked pictures of me or shoot x-rays at me. No one tried to restrict my liquids or take away my pocketknife. No one cared about me taking my ice skates or even my hockey stick on a plane.

In short, life was pretty good until shortly after 9/11 where the federal government made commercial air travel suck by stepping in and screwing the pooch. The federal government should be evicted from all of our nation's airports.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Spiff
I flew through a lot and I never had any complaints.

No one sexually assaulted me. No one demanded my ID. No one demanded my BP. No one tried to take naked pictures of me or shoot x-rays at me. No one tried to restrict my liquids or take away my pocketknife. No one cared about me taking my ice skates or even my hockey stick on a plane.

In short, life was pretty good until shortly after 9/11 where the federal government made commercial air travel suck by stepping in and screwing the pooch. The federal government should be evicted from all of our nation's airports.
Yep, the airlines and airports were doing a great job of security on September 11, 2001......NOT.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Yep, the airlines and airports were doing a great job of security on September 11, 2001......NOT.

Don't blame 9/11 on airport security. The boxcutters that were used to hijack the planes on that morning were allowed. Airport security did nothing wrong.

Should the airlines have had secured cockpits doors prior to that date? Probably yes, but they didn't want to spend the money.

The federal government could have stopped 9/11 but was (and still is) so screwed up it didn't. That's where the blame lies.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Don't blame 9/11 on airport security. The boxcutters that were used to hijack the planes on that morning were allowed. Airport security did nothing wrong.

Should the airlines have had secured cockpits doors prior to that date? Probably yes, but they didn't want to spend the money.

The federal government could have stopped 9/11 but was (and still is) so screwed up it didn't. That's where the blame lies.
ATA security guidelines, which were developed by and supposedly used by the airlines and airports, on September 11 prohibited box cutters. FAA guidelines did not so the airports defaulted to the lower standard because it was easier, quicker, and most importantly cheaper for them. That said I agree there's plenty of blame to go around. As a survivor of the Pentagon attack I am probably a bit more sensitive about that day than others.

Last edited by Randyk47; Apr 22, 2014 at 6:04 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
Not necessarily a FAM. Could by any LEO. You see it a lot on flights to DCA. Anyone carrying a firearm has to board early and have the Captain sign off on it. I was on a flight with a whole slew of FBI agents returning to DC. Had to be at least 10-15 board early.
When FAM's arrive into the UK (not sure about anywhere else) they have to present their firearm to the Border Force who are trained to make them unable to fire. Then, they give them back to the FAM as they board their outbound flight and they are then made able to fire a bullet, and the FAM goes on his way, scouting for baddies.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:39 am

The airlines weren't at fault. I don't know why you have that delusion.

The federal government told airlines to cooperate with terrorists. That's why September 11, 2001 happened. Not box cutters. Not Argenbright/Globe. Airline employees cooperated with terrorists on orders of the federal government. The guilty party, the federal government, should never, ever be permitted to participate in airline or airport security.

ATA security guidelines, which were developed by and supposedly used by the airlines and airports, on September 11 prohibited box cutters. FAA guidelines did not so the airports defaulted to the lower standard because it was easier, quicker, and most importantly cheaper for them. That said I agree there's plenty of blame to go around. As a survivor of the Pentagon attack I am probably a bit more sensitive about that day than others.
That's absolutely irrelevant. Box cutters, wine glasses, harsh language = all worked or would have worked because of what the federal government told airline employees to do. If you want to properly direct your anger at being in the Pentagon when a plane flew into it, blame your employer: the federal government.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:49 am

The airlines weren't at fault. I don't know why you have that delusion.

The federal government told airlines to cooperate with terrorists. That's why September 11, 2001 happened. Not box cutters. Not Argenbright/Globe. Airline employees cooperated with terrorists on orders of the federal government. The guilty party, the federal government, should never, ever be permitted to participate in airline or airport security.

That's absolutely irrelevant. Box cutters, wine glasses, harsh language = all worked or would have worked because of what the federal government told airline employees to do. If you want to properly direct your anger at being in the Pentagon when a plane flew into it, blame your employer: the federal government.
Guess we'll have to just let it go and agree to disagree. And by the way, anger is your projection not mine.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:52 am

Guess we'll have to just let it go and agree to disagree. And by the way, anger is your projection not mine.
No, that was you:

The bolding was for your benefit as I cannot see how one can have blinders on regarding the responsible party for 9/11, other than the criminals themselves: the federal government. I have no idea how blame can be placed on Argenbright or Globe. Maybe airline employees, but again - they were acting on orders of the federal government. It really is that simple. I don't "agree to disagree". You and anyone else who wants to blame Argenbright/Globe are flat-out wrong.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:02 am

No, that was you:

The bolding was for your benefit as I cannot see how one can have blinders on regarding the responsible party for 9/11, other than the criminals themselves: the federal government. I have no idea how blame can be placed on Argenbright or Globe. Maybe airline employees, but again - they were acting on orders of the federal government. It really is that simple. I don't "agree to disagree". You and anyone else who wants to blame Argenbright/Globe are flat-out wrong.
My bad....probably picked the wrong emoticon. As to the rest....whatever.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:05 am

My bad....probably picked the wrong emoticon. As to the rest....whatever.
Whatever indeed. If you want to play ostrich and ignore the facts, that is your affair.

However, if you want your fellow passengers harassed for no good reason other than it makes you feel good - step up and say so. Don't think you unfairly place blame, offer no support for that blame, and expect to get away with it. That's especially true when you've been shown where the blame really belongs.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:53 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
There is no disagree; You are simply wrong. I get that can be hard to hear but it is true.

As Randy noted the "rules" on 11 Sept 2001 were followed. Box cutters were not the problem and several hijackers used others items and had back-up plans should those be taken away.

Since early evening 11 Sept 2001 the rules have changed the public, along with locked/secure cockpit doors have prevented several attacks. TSA has not as an aside.

The rules used to be work with hijackers to sort it out later. Now those rules have changed.

We still have an 11 Sept ever couple of months due to drunk driving and no one seems to care so I guess the terrorist bartenders of theworld get to walk scott free yet this one act seems to make people freak out more. It is cool if you die in a car but not in an airplane...
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by petaluma1

That wasn't the answer pre-9/11. Check the testimony (15 days before 9/11) from the pilot in charge of secuirty for one of the pilot unions(?). He was testifying against secured doors if my memory serves me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.