Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DHS Fear Campaign Continues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
Haven't we seen this before? Doesn't anyone remember Operation TIPS? It was a stupid idea right after 9/11 and it is a stupid idea now.
It's still around in the form of the Terrorism Liaison Officer.

PublicIntelligence.net:

Contrary to the program’s self-representation as limited to law enforcement and first responder personnel, there are many members of the private sector who have also become TLOs. In one solicitation from the Los Angeles Regional Terrorism Threat Analysis Center, a TLO is defined as “any peace officer, firefighter, state investigator, federal agent, military investigative personnel, or anyone working closely within the public safety/homeland security community, who has been properly certified by the appropriate Regional Terrorism Threat Assessment Center (RTTAC).”3 A 2008 article in the Denver Post stated that at least 181 TLOs existed in Colorado at the time and that their positions ranged from paramedics to “utility workers”:

Denver Post:

"Suspicious activity" is broadly defined in TLO training as behavior that could lead to terrorism: taking photos of no apparent aesthetic value, making measurements or notes, espousing extremist beliefs or conversing in code, according to a draft Department of Justice/Major Cities Chiefs Association document.

"The problem is, you're drafting individuals whose job isn't law enforcement to spy on ordinary Americans and report their activities to the government," said John Verdi, director of the open-government project at the Electronic Privacy Information Center.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:35 pm

Does anyone have link for this video that does not involve InfoWars? It has an absurd title, it is followed by links to Alex Jones videos... The video may be a real DHS production but I'm not sending an InfoWars-related link to anyone that I want to respect me in the morning.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by horseflesh
Does anyone have link for this video that does not involve InfoWars? It has an absurd title, it is followed by links to Alex Jones videos... The video may be a real DHS production but I'm not sending an InfoWars-related link to anyone that I want to respect me in the morning.
See here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Absolutely right. This is a disgrace.

Bruce
When the agencies themselves are such a disgrace, the possibility of producing something other is slim to none.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by horseflesh
Does anyone have link for this video that does not involve InfoWars?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7q3bWEvl7o

That's painful to watch and I don't mean the stereotyping. Well I suppose I do, since all the "terrists" are portrayed as complete doofuses - doing their suspicious activities stuff out in the open with no apparent awareness of their surroundings. If there were any terrorists in the US I'm sure they would be a little more circumspect and not quite so bldy obvious.

Really this would be a poor high school film project. A whole lot cheaper though I bet.

Fools .
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

C'mon people. I think you should all call 911 immediately to make a report every time your in an airport and see a white male in dark clothes with a camera. And be sure to tell the 911 operator that you saw a Big Sis video telling you to do this. We'll all be so much safer. (Probably even have a copy the link and give it to the operator when she threatens to have you arrested for making a false complaint).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
Angry Photography

As a photography and airplane enthusiast I have lost track the number of times I've been taking pictures at the airport and have been approached by the local sherrifs department and told I need to stop. I even have a "permit" from the local airport authority now that I don't really need, because it is public property, just to make my life easier when they stop me and try to muscle me into leaving. There have been a few times where the sherrifs seemed disappointed that I did have a permit and that they couldn't hassle me as much as they wanted to.

I've also had someone call a local counter terrorism unit and report my license plate so I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere now.

The irony is I do more to promote aviation safety every day at work than any TSA agent will ever do.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
The point is this: DHS is not targeting radical Saudis, Egyptians, Yemenis or Pakistanis. They're targeting Americans. Making a youtube video is now a subversive action that should be reported. A guy sitting in a park writing in his journal is someone that needs to be tazed and interrogated. "In this day and age" is a phrase that needs to be repeated daily in to remind people they should be scared.

The Statue of Liberty is kaput.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:05 pm

Cool

So, per the article, if I see something suspicious, I'm supposed to say something, right? Do I need to report myself when I report other suspicious activity to the police?

In the course of the 10 minute clip, a myriad of different behaviors are characterized as terrorism, including opposing surveillance, using a video camera, talking to police officers, wearing hoodies, driving vans, writing on a piece of paper, and using a cell phone recording application.
Think of all the people I'll need to report, including the TSA, everytime I see them talking to the police. Then I'll have to report myself as well for reporting them to the police. Will the cycle ever end?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Now don't just sit there like a slab of meat staring at your computer screen, you just Saw Something, So Do Something™! ^^ <--Freakout smilie
But, if I report you, then I'll have to report myself for reporting you. Or do I now have to report myself for not reporting you because I didn't want to report myself? Oh goodness, this "see something, say something" stuff is oh so confusing. Since talking to the police is a terrorist activity, who can I report you to?

-- Mientree
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7q3bWEvl7o

That's painful to watch and I don't mean the stereotyping. Well I suppose I do, since all the "terrists" are portrayed as complete doofuses - doing their suspicious activities stuff out in the open with no apparent awareness of their surroundings. If there were any terrorists in the US I'm sure they would be a little more circumspect and not quite so bldy obvious.

Really this would be a poor high school film project. A whole lot cheaper though I bet.

Fools .
^

Almost made it to the end without throwing up, then remembered I'm also helping to pay for it.

Are any other scenes as hilariously wrong as the hospital one? Only a terr'rist dumber than the underwear bomber could believe facilities with multi-million-dollar imaging/oncology machines keep spare six-figure, constantly-decaying radiation sources for them in unlocked laundry rooms.

But apparently the filmmakers are.

If this gets widely viewed, there will be disruption at hospitals that affect patients' health because someone calls the cops after seeing an aide sneak into a broom closet for a smoke.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:56 pm

Start reporting your local TSOs for suspicious behaviour.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by bluenotesro
Start reporting your local TSOs for suspicious behaviour.
I saw a bunch of them running around the airport with fake police badges and fake police uniforms. I should tell someone huh.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mientree
So, per the article, if I see something suspicious, I'm supposed to say something, right? Do I need to report myself when I report other suspicious activity to the police?

Think of all the people I'll need to report, including the TSA, everytime I see them talking to the police. Then I'll have to report myself as well for reporting them to the police. Will the cycle ever end?
Well, the TSA beats the rap due to the writing thing.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
DHS Video Characterizes White Americans as Most Likely Terrorists
Help me out here government clerks. I can't Say Something until I See Something.

Can a local TSO help me SPOT all the white middle class Americans in this photo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.