Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Mother arrested @ BNA for refusing to allow TSA pat down of daughter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1P

Linked from drudge.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...rt-altercation

A 41-year-old Clarksville woman was arrested after Nashville airport authorities say she was belligerent and verbally abusive to security officers, refusing for her daughter to be patted down at a security checkpoint.

Andrea Fornella Abbott yelled and swore at Transportation Security Administration agents Saturday afternoon at Nashville International Airport, saying she did not want her daughter to be “touched inappropriately or have her “crotch grabbed,” a police report states.

After the woman refused to calm down, airport police said, she was charged with disorderly conduct and taken to jail. She has been released on bond.
Maybe this one will get some national press. Since when is defending your daughter disorderly conduct? I don't care if she was belligerent; if she did not resort to physical violence it was free speech. It looks like TSA and the cops way overreached here.

Is there any way someone can get in contact with this woman and make sure she understands that she has a lot of legal options here and that help is available?

“(She) told me in a very stearn voice with quite a bit of attitude that they were not going through that X-ray,” Sabrina Birge, an airport security officer, told police.

“No, it’s not an X-ray,” she told Abbott. “It is 10,000 times safer than your cell phone and uses the same type of radio waves as a sonogram.”
Got to wonder about both the training and educational background of Sabrina Birge. "Same type of radio waves as a sonogram" ???? There's not a single correct word in that sentence. I think BNA has MMW, and I'm not personally very fearful of microwaves, but attempting to call them sound waves is bogus and extremely deceptive.

At one point, Abbott tried unsuccessfully to take a video with her cellphone.
And more camera shenanigans.

Can't wait to read Bloghdad Bob's spin on this one.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
0 of 46 reader comments so far supporting the TSA or of the "if you don't like it take the bus" variety. ^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by studentff
I don't care if she was belligerent; if she did not resort to physical violence it was free speech. It looks like TSA and the cops way overreached here.
This logic is flawed.

The same way in that if you shout and argue with the crew on board an aircraft, without resorting to physical violence - that is not acceptable behaviour and does not count as free speech.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:12 am

Awfully nice of the screener involved in this incident to chat up the press about it....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA is pitting citizen against citizen with the tacit approval of five congresses and two administrations. I'd be willing to bet that this woman had never even thought that she would ever be arrested in her entire life or that she would even come close to committing a crime against the state.

I'm not even suggesting civil war other than to point out that the micro-skirmish that has been happening on an increasingly regular basis around transportation hubs pitting citizens against their government is an example of the self-destruction that can ultimately lead to civil war. The government is recklessly driving ordinary people to the brink and over the edge. Who knows how or if it will end?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Two causes for optimism:

1) Reader comments on the Tennessean article overwhelmingly anti-TSA. You wouldn't have seen that majority six months ago. A worm is turning.

2) Idiot TSO claims out loud that scanner technology is identical to a sonogram, setting herself up for universal ridicule. The louder and more confidently TSOs make crazy stuff up, the happier TSA opponents ought to be.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220

2) Idiot TSO claims out loud that scanner technology is identical to a sonogram, setting herself up for universal ridicule. The louder and more confidently TSOs make crazy stuff up, the happier TSA opponents ought to be.
The airport security screener in AMS in 2010 told me the same thing.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The TSA is pitting citizen against citizen with the tacit approval of five congresses and two administrations.

The government is recklessly driving ordinary people to the brink and over the edge. Who knows how or if it will end?
Have been in a dozen or more queues at TSA checkpoints over the last 6 weeks... all up hundreds of people in line, maybe even a thousand.

At checkpoints with the scanners everyone went through just fine, no opt outs, no complaints, people took all the stuff out they needed too and there were no secondary pat downs.

Whatever ID was asked for people just gave and while many of the TSA staff didn't particularly appear welcoming or interested to be there, none of them were rude.

I didn't see any citizens acting up. Everyone seemed a-ok where I was.

These reported incidents seem isolated.

Granted - better procedures need to be in place for the elderly, wheelchairs and people with medical conditions so that they can be screened with dignity... but I just didn't see any of the dire conditions I had been told were out there by some on this board.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This logic is flawed.

The same way in that if you shout and argue with the crew on board an aircraft, without resorting to physical violence - that is not acceptable behaviour and does not count as free speech.
The logic is not really flawed, but not in line with current legal precedents in the US. Disorderly Conduct has basically become whatever the officer says it is. I've seen people be charged with DC for standing in their front yard and watching a traffic stop. It should really be referred to a "refusing to obey a LEO or p*ssing them off". LEOs have been given far too much leeway in this respect, as this type of selective enforcement does have a chilling effect on speech. People who are simply standing up for their rights or defending themselves verbally are arrested and charged simply to shut them up. Often these charges are dropped because the DA knows they will not stand up in court.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
This logic is flawed.

Actually your logic is flawed. On board an aircraft you are in an enclosed environment, where the captain is recognized as the final authority until the door is opened and you are allowed to leave. Yes, until then your conduct is up to the crew. But in an airport, you are in a public area, and your rights to free speech SHOULD be intact. I say should because TSA will do anything to prevent basic freedoms and rights from applying.

If they taught their agents a bit about customer relations instead of filling their heads with the technical nonsense about the scanners, things might be different.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
“(She) told me in a very stearn voice with quite a bit of attitude that they were not going through that X-ray,” Sabrina Birge, an airport security officer, told police.

“No, it’s not an X-ray,” she told Abbott. “It is 10,000 times safer than your cell phone and uses the same type of radio waves as a sonogram.”
In layman's terms, x-ray is a general reference to something that looks through stuff with some sort of wave. Mom was probably not interested in a scientific explanation of exactly what the machine does, never mind an ignorant, horribly misinformed one. She just didn't want her kid going in the thing. It's her choice.

I don't say Sabrina lied because she's just parroting the same misinformation her superiors give her.

If there was attitude given, get over it, Sabrina. You're paid to be the bigger person in that situation. Learn to defuse it. Stern voice doesn't mean confrontational.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Actually your logic is flawed. On board an aircraft you are in an enclosed environment, where the captain is recognized as the final authority until the door is opened and you are allowed to leave. Yes, until then your conduct is up to the crew. But in an airport, you are in a public area, and your rights to free speech SHOULD be intact. I say should because TSA will do anything to prevent basic freedoms and rights from applying.

If they taught their agents a bit about customer relations instead of filling their heads with the technical nonsense about the scanners, things might be different.
no.

Just because you are on an aircraft does not mean your constitutional right to freedom of speech is suspended.

studentff said that because there was no physical violence, it was freedom of speech and that statement IS flawed.

Disorderly conduct is not ok.

And as for customer service - see my post above - I saw nothing other than acceptable customer service during my time in the US.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:45 am

Have been in a dozen or more queues at TSA checkpoints over the last 6 weeks... all up hundreds of people in line, maybe even a thousand.

At checkpoints with the scanners everyone went through just fine, no opt outs, no complaints, people took all the stuff out they needed too and there were no secondary pat downs.

Whatever ID was asked for people just gave and while many of the TSA staff didn't particularly appear welcoming or interested to be there, none of them were rude.

Granted - better procedures need to be in place for the elderly, wheelchairs and people with medical conditions so that they can be screened with dignity... but I just didn't see any of the dire conditions I had been told were out there by some on this board.
The media has turned on this issue. The class that is getting groped and peeped on are making themselves heard. You did not get political unanimity in legislatures in Alaska, Texas, and now other states taking up this issue, against the TSA's behavior because things are just fine, as you imply. things are not fine. what is out there are "curses not loud, but deep".

The TSA is obviously getting backed up over this. If you don't think all of this noise is having effect, you're tone deaf.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:48 am
Suspended

This, my friends, is the turning point for the TSA. I am excited. I'm also happy to contribute to any defense fund set up for this woman.

To our (apparently) European poster who claims that the woman's conduct was not free speech, in America, you are mistaken. Shouting at a law enforcement officer is protected speech, and shouting at the TSA is at least as protected as that. The comparison to in-flight outbursts fails because there is no threat to safety at the checkpoint.

--Jon
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because of mission creep, the TSA's tactics are now being exposed to the non-flying public at train stations, subway stations, bus terminals, interstate highway rest areas, suspicionless internal border checkpoints, sporting events, high school proms, etc. These people are much less likely to be caught up in the imperative and ego involved with flying on an airplane, especially for business. Someone else pointed out that this issue has strange bedfellows: the right and left political opposites tend to agree on the issue of the government becoming more & more intrusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.