Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Great opinion piece: the terrorists have won

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As a foreign reporter, I travel to some of the busiest airports in high-risk areas. Just this year I have been in Egypt, Tunisia, Iran, Bahrain, Libya, France, Italy and many other countries. But I have yet to feel so angry, so embarrassed or so scrutinized as I did going through airport security for a flight from Los Angeles International Airport to New York’s JFK while visiting home.
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ckfiring-in-us
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: CO Platinum
“There are reasons why we do this that you may not understand,” the TSA agent told me as she handed me the card.

Yes, but the "reasons" aren't based on actual, credible security threats.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:45 am
Suspended

I continue to be disgusted by the fact that Al Qaeda has 65,000+ supporters operating openly in US airports. They're easily recognizable by their uniforms.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:50 am

^^^
thanks for posting this. People are waking up. Mainstream media is turning. I thought this was an eloquent piece by mr. engel, an interesting, visceral reaction to what the TSA has done to this country.

at the airport, watching a 7-year-old girl go through a full body scan in public – just so she could fly out of the city of Los Angeles – made me wonder how much we have lost.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:50 am

Totally amazing article. This one gets a bookmark. If there's anyone's opinion that should be valued or at the very least considered, this is it.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:53 am
Suspended

Richard Engel tweeted on his experience at the hands of the TSA:

Didn't realize how intrusive airport security has become in US, was angry, embarrassed. complained to the TSA rep this has gone too far
http://twitter.com/#!/richardengelnb...91477488967681

I believe that Engel has been influential in getting Brian Williams to take a more anti-TSA stance in his reports on airport "security."

“There are reasons why we do this that you may not understand,” the TSA agent told me as she handed me the card.
Believe me, the TSA agent doesn't understand those "reasons" either. She is just spouting the words she has been told to spout to dissenters.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:59 am

I remember a T Shirt from the 80's that could easily be the TSA motto:

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,
baffle them with B.S."

It is probably the only sentence that I've ever read that truly explains TSA style security in all its reflected glory.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: OnePass
I just posted this to my Facebook page, lets see how many of my "anything for security" friends react.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Great piece. Engel is a highly credible figure, no Alex Jones conspiracist or random blowhard. And he knows a thing or two about totalitarian, tyrannical tactics. This is just one more first down for our side. The dull-witted, slow-to-notice-things mass media is moving steadily from reflexive defense of TSA insanity to baseline skepticism.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Thumbs up for a well thought out article. Way to go Richard Engel!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
How can I understand if you won't tell me the reason(s), sweetie ?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I continue to be disgusted by the fact that Al Qaeda has 65,000+ supporters operating openly in US airports. They're easily recognizable by their uniforms.
so much for the threat of "sleeper cells."
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Poll Numbers So Far and The Defining Dialogue

This just about sume it all up. Brilliant line of questioning from the author to the clerk:

I spoke to another TSA supervisor. I told him that his staff had been exceptionally polite, but that I felt it was my duty as a citizen to register a complaint. I said we have to take back rights that are being taken from us in the name of security.

The supervisor happened to recognize me from television.

“Don’t you travel to dangerous places all the time? How can this bother you? Where you go, people are shooting at you,” he said.

“Yes, but this is what the terrorists wanted. They want us to live in fear,” I said.
The supervisor who recognized me was wearing a “Remember 9-11” pin on his dark blazer.

“This is why Americans need to take back what we’re losing,” I told him, pointing to his pin. He seemed unconvinced and suggested I file a complaint.
Wow -- here's the poll numbers as of 1300 EDT:

Do you think U.S. security efforts have gone too far?

Yes, we have become a society living in fear: 89%
No, our national security is worth it: 9%
I don't know: 2%
Total votes: 667

Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I'm starting to wonder if TSA is getting paid by the terrorist to terrorize the traveling population. If not they certainly should be getting paid, they're doing the terrorists work!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
I just love how France just got implied as a high-risk country... I know CDG is one of the worst airports in Europe, but is it really a dangerous place..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.