Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US: Terrorists look to implant bombs in humans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US: Terrorists look to implant bombs in humans

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
TSA has shot its wad on a stupid application of invasive searches. Already the media has turned on them. If they escalate in any way, in frequency of gropes or invasiveness, it will be fun to watch the reaction.
Anyone else noticed that any time the TSA loses face, another implausible threat comes up for them to focus on?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:06 am

This isn't science fiction. This was used a couple of years ago. Not on an airline, but a guy with a bomb inside him went into a secured compound. He made it through security. He even hung out with his victims for a while and drank and ate with them. Then he set himself off. Does this have me more concerned about flying? Nope. The TSA has always been more about warm fuzzies than actual security. It doesn't change a thing.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by travfar
This isn't science fiction. This was used a couple of years ago. Not on an airline, but a guy with a bomb inside him went into a secured compound. He made it through security. He even hung out with his victims for a while and drank and ate with them. Then he set himself off. Does this have me more concerned about flying? Nope. The TSA has always been more about warm fuzzies than actual security. It doesn't change a thing.
that was the saudi prince butt bomb. still would have never been found by TSA.

hmmm is "No specific Threat" = No threat were just making things up to keep our budget fluffed. This should be interesting to watch as i think finally were gonna see a blue shirt get the tar beaten out of them for there actions.

Time to write the domed idiots again.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by travfar
This isn't science fiction. This was used a couple of years ago.
That was an assassination attempt, that failed.

FWIW, I'm pretty confident that you cannot possibly pack enough explosives, inside a living body, to take down a plane. (Remember, if those explosives are in a person, then the explosives cannot really be placed where they would do the most damage to a plane.)
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Let's say the NOS could perform a "virtual" cavity search, how would they distinguish between a plastic explosive and the "other" kind of explosive sometimes carried in a body cavity? Let's be honest, has anyone not ever had one "on deck" and said "I'm running late, I'll just handle it at the airport"?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Because the bad guys know where they're more likely to penetrate?

Perhaps the stereotypical demographic audience at monster truck shows is more likely to profile their fellow attendees and be more suspicious of the stereotypical demographic terrorist? They certainly wouldn't look twice at 95 YO grandmas in wheelchairs.
Especially in MONSTER wheelchairs. ^

Why would they be more likely to penetrate the security of an airport than the security of a mall or sporting event? I would think if I were intent on causing as much "terror" as possible I would go for a target that the most people would personalize (like an office building or mall or sporting event) with the highest death toll and with the easiest access. A plane is a good tool to cause a high death toll but you need to get into the cockpit to control it. Not so do-able anymore. Just my opinion
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Is anyone surprised? It was just a matter of time before TSA trotted this one out.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Yes, yes. And MANPADS around the airport perimeter. And anthrax in the artificial sweetener packets. And poison chicken from the catering kitchen. And snakes in the ventilation ducts.

All threats that would not cause any reasonable person to lose sleep.

But which keep excessively-paranoid DHS staffers up all night figuring ways to spend billions of dollars to protect the populace against hundreds of tiny risks.
Not so sure that the catering kitchen chicken doesn't already deserve a hazardous label.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
that was the saudi prince butt bomb. still would have never been found by TSA.

hmmm is "No specific Threat" = No threat were just making things up to keep our budget fluffed. This should be interesting to watch as i think finally were gonna see a blue shirt get the tar beaten out of them for there actions.

Time to write the domed idiots again.
This response to an earlier post alludes to a crucial fact in the article on msn.com, that foreign terrorists have discussed using implanted explosives. Let me repeat that phrase, foreign terrorists. Just like "Richard Reid", the notorious shoe bomber, was not an American, and just like the Christmas Day underwear bomber was not an American, the terrorists allegedly chatting about using implanted explosives are not Americans in the United States. The first line of the article on msn.com reports that the feds have "told overseas airlines that fly into this country" (query: does that definition include Delta, United, or American Airlines) about this alleged threat.

Once again, Americans on domestic flights are going to be subjected to unconstitutional searches because of the activities of foreign terrorists. This is intolerable. The timing of this article, just 2 days after we celebrated Independence Day and the public announcement of the signing of the Declaration of Independence 235 years ago, is ironic.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
That was an assassination attempt, that failed.

FWIW, I'm pretty confident that you cannot possibly pack enough explosives, inside a living body, to take down a plane. (Remember, if those explosives are in a person, then the explosives cannot really be placed where they would do the most damage to a plane.)
No, your statement is almost certainly *untrue* - modern explosives are extremely energy dense, and essentially all you need to do is destroy the integrity of the plane. Most estimates are only in the 2 oz range of high energy explosive needed, and even accounting for the body's insulation (if person does not excrete it first) the amount could easily fit inside somebody.

This is a nice essay addressing that issue:
http://thetravelinsider.info/securit...explosives.htm

This is a strong argument *against* the make-work and sexual harassment program that was formed, which never could detect this threat.

Interestingly as a few others have pointed out, the metal detectors are much BETTER than the body scanners for this threat. You have no hope of detecting 8 oz of PETN in somebody's rectum or in a soft surgical implant, or between their toes as they walk through the radiation scanner. You DO have a hope of detecting a metal detonator on somebody's body using a WTMD, or detecting modified electronics or a detonator pattern using an Xray.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Simple solution, let's ban people from airplanes.

Problem solved.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN
Maybe this latest development will hasten the arrival so called "checkpoint of the future" that was mentioned recently in newspapers and magazines.

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...port-pat-down/

If someone could create these scanning tunnels to be highly sophisticated at detecting implanted and hidden explosives, while emitting minimal or no radiation, then it's a positive for passengers concerned about radiation and being patted down.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Anyone else noticed that any time the TSA loses face, another implausible threat comes up for them to focus on?
Seven years and counting this forum has existed so I doubt it has escaped anyone's notice.
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Is anyone surprised? It was just a matter of time before TSA trotted this one out.
Methinks a sardonic FTer trotted this one out ages ago and the meme just now made its way inside the U.S. intelligence community.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by redreeper
Why would they be more likely to penetrate the security of an airport than the security of a mall or sporting event? I would think if I were intent on causing as much "terror" as possible I would go for a target that the most people would personalize (like an office building or mall or sporting event) with the highest death toll and with the easiest access. A plane is a good tool to cause a high death toll but you need to get into the cockpit to control it. Not so do-able anymore. Just my opinion
A few weeks ago I was at one of the busiest rail stations in Europe. It was heaving; I have never seen it that busy.

There was work being done on several regional rail lines. It was the hottest day and the hottest day anywhere in Europe that day. There was a large Neo Nazi march planned. There was a large counter rally planned. The rail station sits next to one of the great landmarks of Europe, filled with tourists from around the world. Streets were blocked off into the city centre and traffic was at a standstill. A major Autobahn was closed down due to demolition works.

In the end, nothing out of the ordinary happened. The anti-Neo Nazi marchers had a mass for peace. Some of they laid down on the rail lines to prevent many of the Neo Nazis from making it into town. It ended up being a busy Saturday on a very hot day.

But that setting would have been ideal and yet it seems that so much focus is placed on airports and airplanes. (In my scenario above, there were many times more police than usual, with duty brought in from surrounding towns, and more presence inside the station and outside the station. But it was still friendly and professional)
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Someone needs to start a rumor that terrorists disguised as TSA agents are attempting to smuggle bombs into airports by hiding them in their body cavities.
^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.