Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

If subject to a pat-down, may you ask screener's sexual orientation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM

Well, I know you may ask, but what expectation do you have of receiving an answer? First, let me start out by saying I'm not homophobic in the least, some of my best friends are gay and I anxiously await the repeal of Prop 8 in California. But I'm still curious, what rights to you have to ask the screener's sexual orientation if subject to a pat-down at the airport? I don't think it's unreasonable to want to ensure that the person conducting the security screening doesn't have an ulterior motive and as such is screening for security purposes only. More than that, though, I think every TSO deserves to feel the discomfort most would feel having their sexuality a subject of public discussion; perhaps then there will be some change from within...

Last edited by JumboD; Jul 3, 2011 at 11:21 am
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:25 am

I think asking if they are a child molester or a rapist is a good question. We are talking about a very touchy feely full body rubdown that includes the breast and gentials being touched by total strangers.

Last edited by Lara21; Jul 3, 2011 at 1:42 am
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
....an arterial motive......?

Those patdowns are really getting too invasive if this is the case!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: Welfare
A cop pats down people, should you ask them? How about a doctor or nurse? They touch your body, even see it naked. Ask a masseuse? A tailor who measures and touches you?

And I hate the line "I have many friends who are gay, black, latino, insert other race, religion, skin color....."

Mini rant over and I even did it sober
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:52 am

I have a more basic doubt: What sex they are. Many female TSOs are almost unidentifiable as such.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:27 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JumboD
Well, I know you may ask, but what expectation do you have of receiving an answer? First, let me start out by saying I'm not homophobic in the least, some of my best friends are gay and I anxiously await the repeal of Prop 8 in California. But I'm still curious, what rights to you have to ask the screener's sexual orientation if subject to a pat-down at the airport? I don't think it's unreasonable to want to ensure that the person conducting the security screening doesn't have an arterial motive and as such is screening for security purposes only. More than that, though, I think every TSO deserves to feel the discomfort most would feel having their sexuality a subject of public discussion; perhaps then there will be some change from within...

First, the only people it would make uncomfortable are those who are homophobic.

Second, that you thought such, and based on what you wrote, leads mento believe you are homophobic.

Moderators do need to close this silly thread.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:23 am

Why is it homophobic to worry that a particular TSA employee might enjoy search more than another one... That is the idea behind trying to have same sex searches isn't it?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond, Intercontinental Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
There was a thread sometime back about lines someone could use to make the agent as uncomfortable as possible and i truly believe that is the best way to send the message across. ie, certain noises, certain whispering words etc....
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:11 am

I can't see why the screener's sexual orientation is relevant, but you certainly do have the right to ask a screener their gender since you are supposed to only be patted down by somebody who has the same gender as you. It's important to always remember that a person's gender is not the same as their sex and the only way to know somebody's gender is to ask them.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I can't see why the screener's sexual orientation is relevant, but you certainly do have the right to ask a screener their gender since you are supposed to only be patted down by somebody who has the same gender as you. It's important to always remember that a person's gender is not the same as their sex and the only way to know somebody's gender is to ask them.
Can this be taken one step further, and asking for proof of gender? I don't see a reason to trust them to answer truthfully. If we are entitled to same sex pat-downs, aren't we also entitled to proof of gender?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by OldGoat
Can this be taken one step further, and asking for proof of gender? I don't see a reason to trust them to answer truthfully. If we are entitled to same sex pat-downs, aren't we also entitled to proof of gender?
How can you prove somebody's gender? Not everybody has sex organs that correspond to their gender. ID's show sex, not gender.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by chasingthedream
There was a thread sometime back about lines someone could use to make the agent as uncomfortable as possible and i truly believe that is the best way to send the message across. ie, certain noises, certain whispering words etc....
A friend of a friend did this long ago, moaning while be patted down. I suspect it happens often nowadays.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
A friend of a friend did this long ago, moaning while be patted down. I suspect it happens often nowadays.
I disagree. Oh, I am sure those who do it do it often. Yet, it is almost never done.

On the rare occasions when something like this happens (haven't experienced the moaning yet), when men I am patting down tell me that now I owe them dinner, I have always said "Oh, a "date"? Sure, where do you want to go." That has ALWAYS shut them up. Honestly, I very much believe those who think this will make a screener uncomfortable are themselves homophobic.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
TSA policy says that the pat down will be done by someone of the same sex. I can only think of two possible reasons for that policy:
1 - given the physical contact involved, to ensure that the TSO does not regard the pat down as sexual.
2 - given the physical contact involved, to ensure that the passenger does not regard the pat down as sexual.

The fact that a homosexual passenger cannot opt for an opposite-gender TSO suggests that it isn't really #2. And if the reason is #1, then the question in the thread title doesn't seem unreasonable.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JumboD
But I'm still curious, what rights to you have to ask the screener's sexual orientation if subject to a pat-down at the airport?
The rights to freedom of peaceful speech and expression. That the TSA doesn't like the question asked of them doesn't allow for the TSA to infringe upon your rights and violate your rights. Ask the question(s) as you wish.

Keep in mind that constitutional rights are granted to the people rather than to the government and those with an agency relationship to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.