Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

EPIC v. DHS: New FOIA'd Documents Raise New Questions About WBI Radiation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC v. DHS: New FOIA'd Documents Raise New Questions About WBI Radiation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
No way! You don't put unknown stuff in an MRI chamber!
Already pointed out, thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
1. I agree that it's hard to really analyze the outbreak of cancer among clerks at BOS. Why there and not at other airports? An easy explanation would be that nobody else complained through their union reps? regardless, given the clerk lifestyle we've all observed and, in some cases, photogaphed -- smoking, obesity, etc -- I think it would be hard to determine the number of new cases of cancer and cardiovascular disease beyond those would would be expected among this demographic.
Or it's just BOS that has a horribly-misbehaving machine.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by YCTTSFM
Where have you had experience with MRI and/or CT? In what way does MRI "remind" you of a baggage scanner?
All of my medical knowledge is based on House and Scrubs.

FTW.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Sorry but MRI is NOT used for luggage.
You should be sorry that you didn't read the whole thread before responding.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by Ciarin
All of my medical knowledge is based on House and Scrubs.

FTW.
For which anyone with medical training/expertise takes with a grain of salt due to the volume of inaccuracies or blatantly wrong info.

MRI is not used in airports, its industrial grade CT and X-ray scanners because this is what would happen with metal objects in luggage (not to mention the liability from destruction of property), and this is just one example of why.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
MRI is not used in airports, its industrial grade CT and X-ray scanners

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16630423-post11.html
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
It is highly improbable that the cancer clusters are related to backscatter, since it really hasn´t been around long enough yet (give it a few years...). But notice that all other point have long been pointed out around here. It is good to see that this is going mainstream.
BubbaLoop is correct. Backscatter has not been around long enough yet to be causing cancer. The lag time between exposure and carcinogenic effect of radiation is inversely proportional to dose, and it's unlikely that we will see the medically deleterious results of these scanners until 10-20 years from now, at least, even for frequent flyers or TSA workers.

To be frank, if there is a cancer cluster, it is most likely a statistical aberration. If truly due to radiation exposure in the airport, it must be due to leakage from luggage-screening machines.

I'm an opponent of whole body imagers and have opted out of backscatter every time, in large part due to health concerns. However, if we make scientifically unsound claims, we're no better than the TSA.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by schwarm
BubbaLoop is correct. Backscatter has not been around long enough yet to be causing cancer. The lag time between exposure and carcinogenic effect of radiation is inversely proportional to dose, and it's unlikely that we will see the medically deleterious results of these scanners until 10-20 years from now, at least, even for frequent flyers or TSA workers.

To be frank, if there is a cancer cluster, it is most likely a statistical aberration. If truly due to radiation exposure in the airport, it must be due to leakage from luggage-screening machines.

I'm an opponent of whole body imagers and have opted out of backscatter every time, in large part due to health concerns. However, if we make scientifically unsound claims, we're no better than the TSA.
But if this gets people asking questions then I am OK with it.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: Aero-something
Originally Posted by barbell
The government, at some point, deemed such things "safe", otherwise your doctor probably wouldn't have been able to prescribe.
Unfortunately, this is how most governments and government officials react to bombshells

Lie
Deny
Deflect
Admit (usually via a press release on a Friday afternoon or buried on a website somewhere)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Spex
Unfortunately, this is how most governments and government officials react to bombshells

Lie
Deny
Deflect
Admit (usually via a press release on a Friday afternoon or buried on a website somewhere)
I've always heard it as:
Deny
Deflect
Make counter accusations
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
TSOs have my sympathy. Cancer is a terrible disease.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
TSA senior leadership all the way up to Secretary of DHS have told them they are safe.

Looks like TSA screeners are either going to have trust these people or use their own brains and remove themselves from a potentially deadly environment.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall my first opt-out at the Dulles Diamond Lane a few months ago when I lost the opportunity to self-select. I announced to the moat dragon who directed me to the Cancer Machine that, "There's no way I am getting into your Cancer Machine." While waiting by the metal detector, the 20-something female clerk standing right next to the machine said, "Don't worry. They're safe." I asked her if she had read the Hopkins report. She had never heard of it (not surprisingly). After telling me that the machines "give you less radiation than your flight...," I looked her right in the eye and said, "Well, Missy, have you ever watched someone die of cancer?" She not only stopped talking to me; she stopped making eye contact as well."
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
After telling me that the machines "give you less radiation than your flight...," I looked her right in the eye and said, "Well, Missy, have you ever watched someone die of cancer?" She not only stopped talking to me; she stopped making eye contact as well."
She'll be much wiser 30 years from now. I hope she is still healthy.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA senior leadership all the way up to Secretary of DHS have told them they are safe.

Looks like TSA screeners are either going to have trust these people or use their own brains and remove themselves from a potentially deadly environment.
If I were a still a young guy, I'd be in law school and learning everything I could about class action suits of this nature and about the body scanners to prepare for the windfall. Some attorney is going to be be fabulously rich in 20 years.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:25 pm
Suspended

If I were a still a young guy, I'd be in law school and learning everything I could about class action suits of this nature and about the body scanners to prepare for the windfall. Some attorney is going to be be fabulously rich in 20 years.
Might want to read up on the "SAFETY Act," and how it indemnifies companies like Rapiscan from liability.

Some attorney is going to be fabulously rich, all right - but he'll be taking MY money and YOUR money, not Chertoff's money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.