Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

A FT first? Positive experience at MCO security!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat

I meant to post this when it happened a few weeks ago, but I became sidetracked.

I was returning home from a business trip to MCO, navigating the notoriously kettle-icious landside terminal and security. After clearing security and putting myself back together, I realized that I had made a gravely kettle-ish mistake: I had lost my watch in the shuffle.

I approached the TSA agent clearing bins at the end of the line that I had used, and he said that he would check each bin while I checked lost-and-found. Not finding the watch, I went back to TSA and asked the agent watching the metal detector if anybody had turned in the watch. With the bin guy and I still searching, this second agent sprang into action, going through the line and asking if anyone had found my watch.

Lo and behold, after about two minutes, the gentleman returned, watch in hand, saying that someone had given it to him after picking it up in the pre-screening bin area (why I left it there, I have no idea).

My apologies if this does not deserve its own thread or if I missed a compliation thread for stories like this, but at MCO of all places, these guys went above and beyond and deserve a shout-out.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Lucky you ^
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:59 am

I have found the TSA to be fairly good about lost and found, I am not sure where my head was but I did not take my Kindle from the bin upon its exit from the machine.

I realized the error of my ways soon afterwards and went back to screening area to reclaim my lost item. The TSA agent quickly went over to the bin stack and started to check the stack one by one till she came across my Kindle.

I was actually impressed and I am by no means a fan of the TSA.

First time that I ever filled out a positive comment card (and probably the only comment card that will be actually read by the TSA).

Dan
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What a surprise. Every time I've gone through MCO, I've seen some of the worst clerks in the country. Don't even think of using a NEXUS card down there.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dan1431
I have found the TSA to be fairly good about lost and found, I am not sure where my head was but I did not take my Kindle from the bin upon its exit from the machine.

I realized the error of my ways soon afterwards and went back to screening area to reclaim my lost item. The TSA agent quickly went over to the bin stack and started to check the stack one by one till she came across my Kindle.

I was actually impressed and I am by no means a fan of the TSA.

First time that I ever filled out a positive comment card (and probably the only comment card that will be actually read by the TSA).

Dan
Interesting. Perhaps they're used to kids losing/leaving items, so lost and found is the one process they've mastered. Good to hear that they're doing something consistently right, at least.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:01 pm

Glad you got your watch back.

However, let's take a look at the larger problem. Pre Nude-O-Scope, I never had to remove my watch from my wrist, wallet from my pocket, or belt from my pants. Now everyone had to divest of everything from their body. Being the scanners are not able to distinguish between something benign or a real threat, everything comes off. Of course this assumes the clerk watching the scans are awake enough to even see an item. In addition, at non WBI airports, everyone is being conditioned to give up their property whether it sets off the WTMD or not. The mad scramble to find a lost watch, wallet, or belt should not happen in the first place as they should never have to leave your body.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by WChou

However, let's take a look at the larger problem. Pre Nude-O-Scope, I never had to remove my watch from my wrist, wallet from my pocket, or belt from my pants. Now everyone had to divest of everything from their body. Being the scanners are not able to distinguish between something benign or a real threat, everything comes off. Of course this assumes the clerk watching the scans are awake enough to even see an item. In addition, at non WBI airports, everyone is being conditioned to give up their property whether it sets off the WTMD or not. The mad scramble to find a lost watch, wallet, or belt should not happen in the first place as they should never have to leave your body.
^^^
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WChou

Fair enough. I don't have a strong opinion for or against the nude-o-scope (or any current security measures--it's simply not an issue I feel strongly about), though I can tell you that in this particular case, I was not scoped but instead simply went through the traditional metal detector. Metal detectors are now on a setting that is designed to detect coins and other minutiae, so it is quicker for everyone to simply de-metal before going through the machine than it would be to wand everyone with change in his/her pocket or a watch on his wrist. I fault myself for absent-mindedly placing my watch on the table and forgetting to put it into a bin. In turn, my error probably cost others time, since TSA staff became occupied with the task of finding my watch instead of doing whatever it is TSA agents normally do. As a fairly frequent flyer, I should know better.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:34 pm

Where does MCO have AIT machines? Are there any checkpoints that are WTMD only? I am flying out of there next month and I would appreciate the info.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by zcat18
Fair enough. I don't have a strong opinion for or against the nude-o-scope (or any current security measures--it's simply not an issue I feel strongly about), though I can tell you that in this particular case, I was not scoped but instead simply went through the traditional metal detector. Metal detectors are now on a setting that is designed to detect coins and other minutiae, so it is quicker for everyone to simply de-metal before going through the machine than it would be to wand everyone with change in his/her pocket or a watch on his wrist. I fault myself for absent-mindedly placing my watch on the table and forgetting to put it into a bin. In turn, my error probably cost others time, since TSA staff became occupied with the task of finding my watch instead of doing whatever it is TSA agents normally do. As a fairly frequent flyer, I should know better.
We'd all be more than happy to de-metal. With the nude-o-scope you have to de-pill, de-boarding pass, de-pencil, de-wallet, de-dignity, de-kleenex. Hence, I hope you'll see why the nude-o-scope is a time waster from the get go.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
We'd all be more than happy to de-metal. With the nude-o-scope you have to de-pill, de-boarding pass, de-pencil, de-wallet, de-dignity, de-kleenex. Hence, I hope you'll see why the nude-o-scope is a time waster from the get go.
Haha--well, I'm not convinced that it is or isn't a time waster or that it is or isn't necessary (I'm not privileged with the information that the federal government and intelligence agencies have, and it's not an issue that I am particularly passionate about one way or the other), but I like the way you make your point. ^
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:41 am

Honestly I am really not sure the AIT is worth anything other than making Chertoff a wealthy man.

Having said that, I cannot do anything about them and thus have basically resided myself to their existence for sometime.

Dan
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
I accidentally left my Kindle at MCO 2 weeks ago and I finally got through to the lost and found today.

The friendly agent (from Delta) on the phone said I needed a US credit card to pay fedex to ship the Kindle to myself, but wasn't sure if my UK card would work. She said she would phone me shortly and let me know.

When she called me back, she let me know that they cannot accept it and that she would be shipping it to me out of pocket! Was very thankful and surprised!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I came to post a thread with this exact title. Yesterday coming home from work I saw the NoS line while getting my ID checked at the B side and figured all lanes are so equipped. Actually, most people were avoiding that lane. While waiting, they opened up another WTMD lane and I was through security completely grope and hassle free in under three minutes. My only problem was what to do with all the extra time I had in the 'secure' side

As an aside, I spent it watching as I missed my UG by one. First I've missed all year - and in MCO, no less! I had no idea there were so many biz pax from there on a random Thurs morning.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
I came to post a thread with this exact title. Yesterday coming home from work I saw the NoS line while getting my ID checked at the B side and figured all lanes are so equipped. Actually, most people were avoiding that lane. While waiting, they opened up another WTMD lane and I was through security completely grope and hassle free in under three minutes. My only problem was what to do with all the extra time I had in the 'secure' side

As an aside, I spent it watching as I missed my UG by one. First I've missed all year - and in MCO, no less! I had no idea there were so many biz pax from there on a random Thurs morning.
This is too funny. A great experience and it is attributed to the expanded use of WTMD instead of NoS and getting through grope free!! This is great stuff, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.