Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Leaked study: "How just ONE mobile phone can make a plane crash"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaked study: "How just ONE mobile phone can make a plane crash"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:40 pm

I have a feeling there is only one reason all electronic devices have to be turned off during takeoff and landing:

Emergencies requiring evacuation are most likely to happen during takeoff and landing, obviously, The flight crew do not want to have to compete with Angry Birds or texting when they're trying to get you to evacuate.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:38 pm
Suspended

This ranks right up there with other studies how cell phones are secretly frying our brain cells every time we use it; how we're slowly being poisoned whenever we drink water directly from the tap; how the combined fumes emanating from the chemicals that are put into carpet fibers, plaster on the wall, and spewed out from unclean air conditioner ducts are slowly deteriorating our health, and how french fries from McDonalds is killing us.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:54 pm

Myth busters tried to cause problems with cellphones on a plane. They even took and unshielded the wires on the plane and couldn't pick up anything even using old cellphone technology.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...struments.html
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by mahohmei
I have a feeling there is only one reason all electronic devices have to be turned off during takeoff and landing:

Emergencies requiring evacuation are most likely to happen during takeoff and landing, obviously, The flight crew do not want to have to compete with Angry Birds or texting when they're trying to get you to evacuate.
Actually, there is another, related, reason: Extreme pitch, yaw, or roll maneuvers are most likely to occur during take-off, approach, and landing, as well. During extreme maneuvers, any PEDs - or books, or other loose items - in pax hands can easily become flying missiles in the confines of the cabin.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:18 pm

I wish they'd publish not the RESULTS of the study but what was actually done. I have the feeling someone sat down at a keyboard and wrote what appeared to be "findings" with no actual research. I mean, unless the press or some real gadfly put the heat on them, how would anyone know that "study" was a misnomer?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: none
It's true.

My brother in law's second cousin's barber read about it on the internet, so that settles it.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by prushing
Myth busters tried to cause problems with cellphones on a plane. They even took and unshielded the wires on the plane and couldn't pick up anything even using old cellphone technology.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...struments.html
All electronics equipment on board an aircraft, I would suspect, is subject to EMI/RFI testing for both causing interference and being adversely effected by interference. The RF environment at an airport is pretty intense (at some places at the airport you could pick up a flourescent tube and it would light due to the intensity of the RF fields).

IMHO it is a thing where the flight attendants don't want to deal with an obnoxious chatterbox who is disturbing the other passengers. Got to call this one busted but the folks enforcing it can make ones life difficult.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
All electronics equipment on board an aircraft, I would suspect, is subject to EMI/RFI testing for both causing interference and being adversely effected by interference. The RF environment at an airport is pretty intense (at some places at the airport you could pick up a flourescent tube and it would light due to the intensity of the RF fields).
Yes, all electronic equipment on the planes is tested at often brutal levels of broad spectrum interference, and any device that didnt function 100% would result in the FAA oversight of the test declaring it a failure.

During takeoff and landing, the plane is within range of cell towers. Logic would suggest one cell tower is emitting thousands of times what one cell phone does, and it doesnt seem to be an issue.

Also, since the 1960s, military aircraft have been designed to withstand the EMI from a nuclear detonation. I'm fairly confident that we know how to make aircraft withstand a cell phone. No mention if this is only old aircraft or not?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
A terrorist could put one Nokia 3210 in a sock, start wildly swinging it around the cabin, and potentially take out half the crew.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Actually, there is another, related, reason: Extreme pitch, yaw, or roll maneuvers are most likely to occur during take-off, approach, and landing, as well. During extreme maneuvers, any PEDs - or books, or other loose items - in pax hands can easily become flying missiles in the confines of the cabin.
Which makes it all the more absurd because they never say "Please put away all books," just "please turn off all electronics."

And while I'm thinking about it, here's the study I want to see:

Take a plane full of laptops, GameBoys, iPods, portable DVD players, etc. No cell phones, no wifi enabled on the laptops. Self-contained electronics only. No signals transmitted or received.

Take off.

Land.

Report what happens.

'Cause while I'm willing to believe that in some isolated cases, RF interference can play hell with avionics, I refuse to believe that completely self-contained electronics that are not intended to transmit or receive signals over the air are able to crash planes. And if they are, the FAA and airlines need to worry less about people's laptops and more about fixing or engineering past the goddamn problem with the planes.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Can't use electronics that transmit; Oh, really?

Observed on UX last week. (I know it's been like this forever, but the timing in this case was just perfect.)

FA makes the announcement: "It's now OK to use portable electronic devices, as long as they don't have transmit capability. Electronic devices that transmit may interfere with the plane's navigational capabilities. We'll now begin the beverage service. Beer, wine and cocktails are for sale for 7? dollars and can be paid for with credit cards only."

Then; out comes the cordless credit card machine which, of course, would be worthless without its transmit capability.

Amazing to me how gullible the airlines think their passengers are.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by celticwhisper
Which makes it all the more absurd because they never say "Please put away all books," just "please turn off all electronics."
I agree, which is why I would like to see the pre-flight announcement changed to say, "Please secure all loose items and be sure there is nothing unsecured sitting in your lap."

But they won't do that because it would, by definition, preclude anyone from flying with a lap child, and that would bring bad press to the airlines. They would be lambasted as "money grubbers" or "greedy" or words to that effect, while the truth is that any parent who flies with a lap child is putting their child's life in danger over the cost of another seat.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Then; out comes the cordless credit card machine which, of course, would be worthless without its transmit capability.

Amazing to me how gullible the airlines think their passengers are.
"Do as I say, and not as I do."
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I remember asking the question about wireless and planes at Networld back in '04. I was in a class with a recongized guru in the field (Craig Mathias, if anyone cares). He said he gets that question a lot and he posed to some Boeing engineers. Boeing's response: do you really think we'd design a plane that could be brought down by a cell phone?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
I remember asking the question about wireless and planes at Networld back in '04. I was in a class with a recongized guru in the field (Craig Mathias, if anyone cares). He said he gets that question a lot and he posed to some Boeing engineers. Boeing's response: do you really think we'd design a plane that could be brought down by a cell phone?
Is it simply an exercise in crowd control, like the requirement to stay seated with seat belts fastened during the safest part of the trip, approaching and leaving the jet bridge parking place?

I've even been known to furtively leave my Bose headphones switched on at forbidden times - in my world that's living on the edge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.