Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Article: TSA Considering Banning Photography at Checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article: TSA Considering Banning Photography at Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bart
If the intent of knotyeagle's post was to throw it back at me (the post was directed at me and eyecue), then it is pointless because my comment addressed taking pictures of x-ray screens from INSIDE the checkpoint.
Here's one "from INSIDE the checkpoint" at IAH:

Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The post was directed at me, and I responded. You joined in, asked for an explanation of my response, and I explained.

Clear enough?
Not at all. Sorry, it must be me.

I will try one more time before giving up. I really do not have the inclination to play these games today.

Answer this question if you can. If you can not or do not know, simply say that, it is not a problem to me if you do not have permission to answer or do not know the answer.

Is it the position of the photographer (inside or outside the check point) or the subject of the photography (the monitors at the x-ray) that determines whether it is a problem or not allowed?

a. Position of photographer
b. Subject of photograph
c. I do not know for certain.
d. I can not say.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Not at all. Sorry, it must be me.

I will try one more time before giving up. I really do not have the inclination to play these games today.

Answer this question if you can. If you can not or do not know, simply say that, it is not a problem to me if you do not have permission to answer or do not know the answer.
It's you.

I'm tired of repeating myself. I don't know why you can't accept what I've posted and move on.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It's you.

I'm tired of repeating myself. I don't know why you can't accept what I've posted and move on.
It is not that I do not accept it I do not understand it. I gave you an opportunity for a one letter answer and you write three sentences.

Yeah, I'm done too.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Yes, I would like a link that says there is no problem with photographing an active x-ray screen monitor but still the TSO will report it to his supervisor. That is what I came away with as noted previously. I doubt that you can provide that link notwithstanding your hubris.
You are correct, a link such as you say you would like in this post does not exist, but then again that was not the link I was offering now was it.

Well you are either being disingenuous or just plain non-responsive to my question posed which was, "Before you call the police you have to be suspicious that something wrong is occurring and that suspicion needs to be reasonable. Why else would you call an LEO if you were not suspicious? So what is your suspicion when someone is taking a picture of an active x-ray monitor screen that you have failed to protect. Remember, taking a photograph is no more suspicious than observing the same item."
You are making some invalid assumptions here. I do not need “suspicion” to report such activity, I have a directive that requires me to do so. “Right”, “wrong”, or otherwise is not my place to determine, the directive says to report it to my supervisor and you can bet your very last dollar that I will.

What do you tell your supervisor when you see someone taking a picture of an SSI monitor? The level of suspicion I am discussing is the same as what any person calling the police would have. In this case, you see someone doing something perfectly legal, but believe that the police should be called anyway to harass the passenger. Tee up the Bivens action.
See above. Tee up the “BS” meter, and then tee up the part of the law that say that as long as I am performing my duties as directed and within the law that I have “qualified immunity”. Bivens can have that party all by himself, since no one will be attending.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yeah, TSA has plenty to hide - embarrassing violations of their own procedures like patting down infants and toddlers, a 73% failure rate in detecting weapons, several theft rings operating in various airports' TSA contingents... the list goes on. It's no wonder they want to hide that from public view.
So, you are claiming that you know what our procedures are? If such were the case then you would not have made that statement. And as for hiding these things, were we doing that then your comment could not have been made as the information would not have been available to you. TSA tends to air its dirty laundry in public, or haven’t you noticed?

Yes, as it stands right now, pax CAN film or image what happens at the c/p. So why does Bart think that he is obligated to report such perfectly legal, permissible, non-prohibited activity to his supervisors, and why does he say that such perfectly legal, permissible, non-prohibited activity will get people into massive trouble?
I’m not Bart, ask him why he thinks the way he does. What I do know is that he and I will both report it, and have said so quite clearly, because we are required to do so. The legality or illegality of the reported action is of no concern to us, not in this context. We have no choice, our duties require that we report it.

How is it consistent to say that you have no problem with something, then to say later that you have a problem with that same thing? I call BS.
Maybe you should go back and look at the context of the statements before commenting. It would be the “wise” thing to do.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
BWI at it again

TSA Watch: Take a picture of a checkpoint, go to jail?

A BWI representative said the signs were posted by the airport. They say:

NOTICE

Photographing or videotaping of security procedures, personnel or equipment is strictly prohibited.

COMAR 11 03.01.09 B (2)

COMAR is the Code of Maryland Regulations. Here’s the actual rule.

Notice anything? B (2) doesn’t mention anything about photography, just interference with screeners.

Is photography the same thing as interference? Not the last time I checked.
http://www.elliott.org/blog/tsa-watc...nt-go-to-jail/

Scare Tactics it seems.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
You are making some invalid assumptions here. I do not need “suspicion” to report such activity, I have a directive that requires me to do so. “Right”, “wrong”, or otherwise is not my place to determine, the directive says to report it to my supervisor and you can bet your very last dollar that I will.
So it is in writing....

See above. Tee up the “BS” meter, and then tee up the part of the law that say that as long as I am performing my duties as directed and within the law that I have “qualified immunity”. Bivens can have that party all by himself, since no one will be attending.
A directive is not law. Performing your duties as directed does not give you immunity from a Bivens action. If you are violating the law, it doesn't matter that you were told by your supervisor, or even Pistole, to violate it.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie M
So it is in writing....

A directive is not law. Performing your duties as directed does not give you immunity from a Bivens action. If you are violating the law, it doesn't matter that you were told by your supervisor, or even Pistole, to violate it.
Please read what I wrote. You missed something. @:-)
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:45 pm

Please read what I wrote. You missed something. @:-)
I did read what you wrote. Why don't you just tell me what I "missed" instead of being cryptic?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:50 pm

I did read what you wrote. Why don't you just tell me what I "missed" instead of being cryptic?
OK. Hope this helps.

(Emphasis added)
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:54 pm

OK. Hope this helps.

(Emphasis added)
Thank you.

A government employee reporting people for taking photographs, a legal activity that is protected by the First Amendment, is not acting within the law. Regardless of whether you have a directive telling you to do so.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:19 pm

Thank you.

A government employee reporting people for taking photographs, a legal activity that is protected by the First Amendment, is not acting within the law. Regardless of whether you have a directive telling you to do so.
Of course it is.

There's no law preventing any non-LEO individual from telling Law Enforcement authorities about legal actions. You're free to go into your local police department and complain about people doing the speed limit down your street to your heart's content.

The trick is, if you make a habit of that, the Police will start treating you accordingly.

It's far past time the REAL, SWORN LEO's who these 2 year olds run to and tattle about perfectly legal things start telling them, point blank, to get their heads dislodged from their rectums and quit wasting their valuable time.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Of course it is.

There's no law preventing any non-LEO individual from telling Law Enforcement authorities about legal actions. You're free to go into your local police department and complain about people doing the speed limit down your street to your heart's content.
If you purposefully report something that you know is legal to the police that could constitute making a false police report. Regardless of whether that constitutes making a false police report, if a government agent in the course of his duties acts to chill free speech, for example by reporting it, that would constitute a First Amendment violation.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Ah, so now we're getting somewhere - there actually IS a TSA directive to report photography at the checkpoint to a TSA supervisor (or is it only photograph of the x-ray monitors? Please clarify.)

My question was, FROM WHOM did that directive come? Was it a memo? Was it verbal? Is it printed in some manual or pamphlet? WHO TOLD YOU that it is a job requirement of TSOs to report imaging of the x-ray scanner screens to your supervisor or to LEOs?

But, Ron, it is our position that said duties are NOT within the law. You see, calling LEOs to report someone doing something that is perfectly legal and permissible is actually NOT allowed; it's called making a false report. If it is an official policy of a federal agency, then it must be a pattern of behavior, and a consistent pattern of such behavior, which has the potential to cause serious difficulties, delays, or baseless increased screening of the photographer, would fit the legal definition of harassment. PTravel, am I in the ballpark here with my legal suppositions?

Basically, Ron, your agency is requiring you to violate the law. "It's my job! I am only following orders!" didn't excuse the guys at Nuremberg, and it doesn't excuse TSOs who engage in such harassing behavior to cover what is really their OWN ineptitude - because those who configured those x-ray monitors, the contents of which are SSI, in such a manner as to be plainly visible to the public, are violating TSA's SSI rules, as they have been explained here on FT (i.e., it's not illegal for the public to possess or disseminate SSI, but it is against agency policy for any TSA employee to disseminate SSI to a non-covered person).

Would you post an SSI document on a wall in the terminal where everyone could see it? No? Then those monitors, if they are indeed SSI, should also be protected from prying eyes.

And even if they're not SSI, or secret, or restricted, and the only consideration here was passenger privacy, it's still harassment for TSA to "report" people for taking photos of them, when TSA is the one who PUT THEM OUT THERE WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE THEM in the first place.

Bad form, old bean. Bad form, indeed.

So, you are claiming that you know what our procedures are? If such were the case then you would not have made that statement. And as for hiding these things, were we doing that then your comment could not have been made as the information would not have been available to you. TSA tends to air its dirty laundry in public, or haven’t you noticed?
I know what John Pistole has said several times, both in interviews and in sworn testimony before Congress - children under 12 are not to be patted down, and AIT/pat-downs are NOT to be used as primary screening methods.

So, is that NOT the policy? Is Pistole lying? Or is he simply unaware of the actual policies of the agency he heads? Or is it that these ARE the policies, and TSA is continuing to flagrantly violate them on a regular basis by patting down children under 12 and by using the AIT/pat-down regimen as a primary method?

As for the dirty laundry carp, TSA tends to lose video of incidents, except those incidents where the complainant was obviously off their rocker, such as the crazy woman who claimed that TSOs took her child away from her during screening, but the video showed clearly that her child was with her the entire time.

And TSOs tend to try to cover up their dirty laundry on site, by blocking legal, permissible photography and videography of the screening process with their bodies and bins, or with threats and coercion.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Thank you.

I am afraid that you are mistaken. The First Amendment doesn't protect all speech, or all photography in public, etc. If you want to have a legal discussion you need to think about the actual application of the law. If a government agent (i.e. - a LEO) sees you taking photographs of children in a public park (clearly a public location), and if you have been there for three days in a row, and if you have been taking the pictures from about three feet away, even if you have been kind and clean and nice, they are likely to ask you for your name, some identification, your purpose, etc. And if the Park Ranger (a government employee) reported you for the exact same conduct it would not be unlawful, especially if the report was truthful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.