Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Tizzette
You ought to cover up your armpits and your bare feet long enough for a plane flight out of common decency toward your fellow passengers.
How much of the foot has to be exposed for it to be offensive? Are fisherman sandals OK? How about flop-flops? What about topless sandals?

Do the rules differ for males and females? How about age? Is a foot of a 25-year-old more or less offensive than a 35-year old? 45? 60?

Maybe both age and gender matter? So, a 25-year-old male or a 35-year-old female might be inoffensive in flip-flops?

Shoulders seem clearly offensive for males but not for females. Armpits, we've established, depend on the clothing type as well as the gender (but not age). I wonder if elbows and noses might follow strict age rules, without regard to gender?

Originally Posted by unoffensije
Truthfully, if cardiomd is worried about disease transmission, then we should mandate everyone wears gloves as hands are are the cause of > 50% of disease transmission.
Wearing gloves doesn't help, since the gloves get contaminated and spread viral or bacterial infections just as do bare hands. (In studies of food prep workers, for example, their gloves were invariably contaminated.)

Originally Posted by Tizzette
But in close quarters with strangers on a cramped airplane, bare armpits and bare feet are usually offensive. That is why I favor an airline standard of dress that is simple to understand and airline personnel can enforce without having to make subjective judgements: a shirt with sleeves and no bare feet.
How long do the sleeves need to be? How bare can the feet be? How thick must the material covering the arms, chest, and feet be? Would a light cotton gauze be OK? How about head coverings?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
If it were me, for sure that behavior would lead to an order of "no alcohol for that passenger". Even if they did get to fly, they wouldn't get a drop of alcohol simply because they have the personality of a disruptive drunk.
Most reports of disruptive behavior involve alcohol, so, in the stated interest of a simple rule that doesn't require interpretation or subjectivity, why not ban all alcohol on planes?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by cardiomd
Your arguments are filled with straw men and do not carry significant weight; that is a common but largely invalid debating technique.
My debating skills are poor, nay even non-existent because I never finished high school, but I try to fight for the little people — you know, the ones not worthy of air travel.

The straw men are salient examples of how abusive decency standards can become when they are subject to whims...

Someone here wants to abolish the showing of armpits. What if the decency board thinks that other body parts as gross? Where is the line drawn? I can understand protecting the bottom of feet from injury but what else will draw the ire of that censor?

That's where we are today with TSA. Surely safety checks must be done to thwart onboard bombings but we are all here to rail against the egregious overreach of the TSA. Some people on this forum want to extend that to dress code because they don't like to look at the undesirables. Let's just bring on the caste system and be done with it. I do love the taste of curry.

Again, we of the NSS-1701™ think all human bodies are disgusting and should never be shown. We want to euthanize everyone that is unattractive or unfashionable. That will make us happy.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by anabolism
Most reports of disruptive behavior involve alcohol, so, in the stated interest of a simple rule that doesn't require interpretation or subjectivity, why not ban all alcohol on planes?
That's a very good question; it's been asked before without a satisfactory answer. The usual one being "why should the many be punished for the actions of a few" which I think we can discount giving what's going on at airport checkpoints .

I don't know how much profit the airlines make from on-board alcohol sales, but I suspect it's not inconsiderable. Probably a powerful lobby on the Hill from other parties as well. You could always fly Saudia of course.
What if the decency board thinks that other body parts as gross?
Pretty much all of them are, unless you've had a beverage or two . See above.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:49 pm

Oh, I'm sure. Who told you? Crew members? Think a little. If there's a fire with smoke filling the cabin, and an orderly exit without panicky fliers crawling over each other, do YOU want the person who made a big issue over wearing shoes as a co-passenger? I wouldn't.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:12 pm

I'm the one who would be offended sitting next to a barefoot guy showing his hairy armpits. I would like to see a simple, clear cut rule to wear a shirt with sleeves and shoes or socks on the plane, a requirement that applies to everybody regardless of age or gender.
Granted, a young lady in a sleeveless blouse with a pretty pedicure is not offensive, but the rule needs to apply to everybody or it would be too difficult for airline personnel to enforce. Too open to subjective judgements and the cause of unpleasant confrontations. Those who disagree, what do you actually wear on a plane yourselves? With the amount of effort Flyertalkers put into getting upgraded, casting aspersions calling coach "steerage," it is unbelievable that many would willingly sit next to somebody in bare feet wearing a wifebeater.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:14 am

People here just like to argue. I'm not sure why this thread even belongs on a "safety/security" board, but the course of it has shown,if it even needed showing, that people will reach farther and farther to "prove their point'. I guess my bottom line is that if someone has been asked to clothe themselves according to the standard of the airline and refuses, I can't work myself into a froth when they get dropped at a gate. We are a "me society" to an appalling degree, it makes life tedious, and it is a small satisfaction to see that smug smile and demanding whine get its comeuppance.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
People here just like to argue. I'm not sure why this thread even belongs on a "safety/security" board, but the course of it has shown,if it even needed showing, that people will reach farther and farther to "prove their point'. I guess my bottom line is that if someone has been asked to clothe themselves according to the standard of the airline and refuses, I can't work myself into a froth when they get dropped at a gate. We are a "me society" to an appalling degree, it makes life tedious, and it is a small satisfaction to see that smug smile and demanding whine get its comeuppance.
So
Do you also agree with following the rules of the TSA?
I hope so!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
It's amazes me how every subject that has ever been discussed on FT is eventually discussed again.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...oot-plane.html
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Top Tier
It's amazes me how every subject that has ever been discussed on FT is eventually discussed again.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...oot-plane.html
I know, we'll have to talk about this sometime.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Without taking any position whatsoever on what the rules or laws should be. And in fact, being somewhat Libertarian by nature....... And furthermore, being well traveled in nations where sanitary standards are not the same as in the US and I accept that and am not overly concerned by that. None the less. I personally must say I am often somewhat grossed out visiting an airplane lav when even just the soles of my Nike's are touching the floor. Com'on folks. There's pee on that floor. You know it. I know it. Their doesn't need to be a law.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by meisterau
So
Do you also agree with following the rules of the TSA?
I hope so!
No. Not at all. They are on public property. The airplane is private property where the rules of the airline are the only rules.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I'm confused here. If uncovered armpits are acceptable at a state dinner at the White House, why does having them in an airplane violate "common decency toward your fellow passengers"?
You just made their point. Who would want to sit next to her uncovered arm pits. She is so indecent!!! Just another reason to throw her embarrassing self out of there. Also, she puts her elbows on the table. I guess no one ever taught her any manners.....`
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
You just made their point. Who would want to sit next to her uncovered arm pits. She is so indecent!!! Just another reason to throw her embarrassing self out of there. Also, she puts her elbows on the table. I guess no one ever taught her any manners.....`
If I were the PM of India that evening, I would have to seriously consider unraveling my pug and wrapping it around said armpits, you know for the sake of decorum.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:36 pm

Guy with the pug, at state dinners people dress their elegant best. Barefoot and half naked, they would not get in. This thread is about whether or not there should be a minimum standard of dress for a plane. Not whether to be well-dressed, just basically clothed to go out in public. Barefoot is not dressed. A wifebeater is underwear, not a shirt. Do you advocate barefoot and half naked on a plane? How about a dhoti?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.