Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:11 pm

From AA's "Amenity Kits" page ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/amenitykits.jsp ):

The Amenity Kit also includes:

Eye Mask
Socks
Re-sealable cap tooth brush, Colgate tooth paste and Dentex tooth pick
Ear plugs
Pen
Mints
Tissues, etc
One presumes these are "slipper-socks" and that it is expected they will be worn without shoes.

It appears that many are equating not wearing shoes as "barefoot" but they aren't the same thing.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
In most premium cabins on long haul, the airline provides slippers or socks. That implies the airline is OK with shoeless attire.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jbart74
I'm still wondering, after 8 flights these past few weeks hearing the GA's tell me over the intercom that "FAA requires that all passengers may only carry one bag and one personal item onboard the aircraft." I never violate this rule as it has been in effect by the airlines long before the TSA came into existence (I am not confusing the TSA with the FAA) but it strikes me as odd that this is the new line over the past few years concerning carry-ons. Anyone have more info on that? Is it really an FAA rule?

JB
Its an old rule - the airlines are now enforcing more stringently because there are more carry ons due to check in fees - bin space is guaranteed to run out for those boarding last
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I have noticed that after Sept 2001 that what used to be airline "policy" suddenly became "security" requirement. I have flown since Spring 1980 and it was so much better in years past.

These have been things that haven't been promogulated into regulations but that the FA's just misquote the FAA, etc. A few times, I first complied with their request and later politely asked the flight attendant "where the regulation was located so I can look it up?". Usually they couldn't answer me. I was always quite polite (and curious) so I never got into any trouble over me asking them about the policy/requirement.

I wish the FA's would correctly mention their rules are "airline" policy not security.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Its an old rule
But whose rule ? Please cite the FAR which applies.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Flying from MUC-EWR on UA a couple weeks ago. When we took off, FA went on (and on and on) about 'strictest levels of security' mandated by the 'Transportation Security Agency' including no lines for the bathroom, passengers not allowed in the galleys and no standing/walking in the aisles except to access the restroom, no one in the aisles during service, and passengers not allowed to leave their cabin of travel.

All of this was repeated (bellowed) twice.

Now, if these are airline or FAA regs, so be it (although I think some of them might be a stretch). Hello....on any packed single-aisle plane, it can be almost impossible to get to the coach bathrooms without a wait. But I am getting a little tired of hearing that the everything a particular FA wants on a flight is a TSA rule.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Perhaps the regulation is: you have to obey the instructions of the flight crew.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Flying from MUC-EWR on UA a couple weeks ago. When we took off, FA went on (and on and on) about 'strictest levels of security' mandated by the 'Transportation Security Agency' including no lines for the bathroom, passengers not allowed in the galleys and no standing/walking in the aisles except to access the restroom, no one in the aisles during service, and passengers not allowed to leave their cabin of travel.

All of this was repeated (bellowed) twice.

Now, if these are airline or FAA regs, so be it (although I think some of them might be a stretch). Hello....on any packed single-aisle plane, it can be almost impossible to get to the coach bathrooms without a wait. But I am getting a little tired of hearing that the everything a particular FA wants on a flight is a TSA rule.
bolding mine:

btw, UA doesn't fly MUC-EWR..
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:29 pm

I know the whole subject of socks/shoes in the cabin has been hotly debated before However, there is one point I don't understand.

I put a pair of amenity kit socks over my own socks (if I'm wearing them) to get through the checkpoint. I don't want my socks (or feet) getting dirty and I don't want the dirt from the floor going into my shoes.

When I'm on a longer flight, I always remove my shoes and socks and put on amenity kit socks. I wear these until shortly before landing - then I remove them and put my regular socks (if any) and shoes back on.

I don't walk around barefoot or in my regular socks. I don't want whatever is on the floor of the airplane (at my seat, aisle, in the bathroom) on my socks or bare feet. I also don't want it on my regular socks because I don't want to transfer it to the inside of my shoes.

So when I am on a plane, wearing amenity kit socks, I certainly do NOT put my shoes back on before I go the bathroom. And I'm not going to be bothered with taking the amenity kit socks off, putting my regular socks and shoes on, using the bathroom, and then reversing the process.

Just thought I'd state my case for any of you who might have observed me walking around the plane in socks, going in and out of the bathroom.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chemist661
I have noticed that after Sept 2001 that what used to be airline "policy" suddenly became "security" requirement. I have flown since Spring 1980 and it was so much better in years past.

These have been things that haven't been promogulated into regulations but that the FA's just misquote the FAA, etc. A few times, I first complied with their request and later politely asked the flight attendant "where the regulation was located so I can look it up?". Usually they couldn't answer me. I was always quite polite (and curious) so I never got into any trouble over me asking them about the policy/requirement.

I wish the FA's would correctly mention their rules are "airline" policy not security.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard *** Airlines Flight 232 to Kalamazoo. Federal regulations require that you proceed to your seat as quickly as possible so the we can depart on time. Please note that the overhead bins on the D, E, and F side of the aircraft are large enough to accomodate roller bags. It is a TSA security requirement that you place you larger item in the bin and your smaller item under the seat in front of you. We ask that you please move out of the aisle as quickly as possible to allow other passengers to board. Please be aware that not complying with this request is an FAA violation and will result in the summons of a federal law enforcement officer for security reasons. Once in your seats, fasten your seat belt low and tight around your hips. Failure to do so is a violation of the airline criminal code and you will be removed from the plane and met by a DHS agent for questioning and processing. Furthermore, please remember that we are here primarily for your safety; however, we will serve 6 ounces of liquids if you can demonstrate that you are truly parched. Failure to prove an acceptable level of thirst will be considered a security breach per new heightened TSA regulations.

Oh, and we know you have a CHOICE in airline travel and appreciate your business!"
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
oh what a load of bull. so many wrong and mis quotes in that its not even funny. Thats one FA that needs to be called on it on the flight and by higher ups.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:51 pm

Actually, I did hear that one recently and it slipped my mind - federal regulations require one bag in the overhead and one under the seat in front.

No mention of what federal regulations mandate if you have an equipment box underneath the seat in front of you, of course.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
Actually, I did hear that one recently and it slipped my mind - federal regulations require one bag in the overhead and one under the seat in front.
OMG I was trying to be totally facetious and outrageously satirical. Are you saying that I accidentally got it right? That's pretty sad!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
bolding mine:

btw, UA doesn't fly MUC-EWR..
You're right, my bad. Outbound was on CO EWR-MUC.

Return (TSA heavily-regulated) was UA MUC-ORD.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
But whose rule ? Please cite the FAR which applies.
Its posted at the BOS terminal A checkpoint - passengers may bring 1 carry-on and 1 personal item as per FAA and TSA policies. IDK where its officially referenced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.