Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on airplane = threatened with arrest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I remove my shoes when the double chime goes off for the electronics. I put them on at the double-chime on descent (or sooner), and if I go to the lav (or just walk up and down the aisle). Safety issue; I want to get the hell out of the plane fast enough in case we need to evacuate, and I do not want to be a hindrance.

As for the OP: now that's it's been exposed as an AA CoC, it really boils down to whether you want to complain about the source of this. In other words, are there bigger fish to fry? Also, is whether an FA's cited source (AA CoC or FAA) is really worth it to complain? Personally, I'd actually be a little happy that the FA is that rigid on safety. Again, boils down to whether you want to complain about the citation.

Don't know if the OP regularly gives feedback to AA (commendations or complaints), but another thing to remember is that you probably don't want to be seen as a chronic complainer (not accusing, just something to consider for big picture purposes).
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:33 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I've noticed that part in the CofC about barefoot for a long time, but certainly wouldn't interpret it in the way it seems to have been. First of all, it says they have the right to remove you if you're "barefoot", not that you can't be barefoot (the difference is nontrivial). Second, I've interpreted that to mean coming onto a plane without shoes, not taking them off for some period of time.
+1
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by richard
I walk everywhere barefoot. If a store tells me to put shoes on, or in stores that require shoes, I comply. I have no problem going into an airport restroom barefoot. My immune system is fine and I am not troubled by it.
I rather think it's other people that may perhaps have a problem with the barefoot thing. I do, if they are going to be lifted off the ground for any reason. A couple of years ago, I recall sitting in my seat working away on my computer when I felt something touching the back of my arm just above the elbow. I turned and it was the undersole of the right foot of the passenger sitting behind me, who had decided to put his feet up. Slight altercation ensued when I asked him to either move his feet or have them smashed with a laptop battery. But all ended well.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I rather think it's other people that may perhaps have a problem with the barefoot thing. I do, if they are going to be lifted off the ground for any reason. A couple of years ago, I recall sitting in my seat working away on my computer when I felt something touching the back of my arm just above the elbow. I turned and it was the undersole of the right foot of the passenger sitting behind me, who had decided to put his feet up. Slight altercation ensued when I asked him to either move his feet or have them smashed with a laptop battery. But all ended well.
I think you and I should get together and discuss fluoroquinolone antibiotics LOL
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I am filing a complaint with AA. This FA was making up a rule and further, since I argued, she must have reported to him that I was unruly and causing a disturbance of some kind.
Word your complaint carefully. As others have posted AA (and other airlines) have a dress code and you can be ejected/denied for not following it.

If the FA did indeed quote a non-existent FAA regulation, that in itself is cause enough for complaint. But it happens all the time and I very much doubt that AA cares.

I'm not sure that the threat of being 'met' upon arrival is tantamount to a threat of arrest, unless that actual word was used. Interfering with a crew member in the execution of their duties is a FAR violation (121.580):
No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part.
I expect AA will simply cite this and imply that you 'misunderstood' the conversation, but were interfering as that can be interpreted to mean anything at all.

Do it anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jetbee
If you look at American Airlines Conditions of Carriage under "Acceptance of Passengers", you will find the following regulation:

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you

g. are barefoot

http://bit.ly/f5M75u
Before AA starts enforcing (g) barefoot, can they first start enforcing (e) Have an offensive odor not caused by a disability or illness...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TXagogo
I think you and I should get together and discuss fluoroquinolone antibiotics LOL
yeah, and antifungal agents.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by saizai
I'm pretty sure that FAA doesn't permit AA to remove a passenger from the plane after takeoff.

Up until that point, sure, they can refuse to take you on board, or remove you, for any reason whatsoever. If it's not one of a limited number of Really Good Reasons, they'll have to compensate you for it.
No.. but as a business, they can refuse to transport you in the future.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:06 am

I for one appreciate would appreciate the enforcement of decent standards of dress upon people who think it is fine to go barefoot, wear sweat shorts and wife beaters, and in general expose the rest of us to the lowest common denominator. Sitting beside bare feet and armpits is unpleasant. If you are coming from Africa and have never worn shoes, that is one thing (and I know refugees who have arrived in my city that way).
But some barefoot clown showing off his personal style? Check that.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I for one appreciate would appreciate the enforcement of decent standards of dress upon people who think it is fine to go barefoot, wear sweat shorts and wife beaters, and in general expose the rest of us to the lowest common denominator. Sitting beside bare feet and armpits is unpleasant. If you are coming from Africa and have never worn shoes, that is one thing (and I know refugees who have arrived in my city that way).
I disagree - even after recently suffering on a AA regional jet with an extremely pungent body odor, I believe there is WAY too much room for an airline to get itself into an unenforceable debacle that would turn into a PR nightmare.

As much as I would love to not have to deal with seeing what I see on airplanes, I do recognize that it is "public" transportation being run by a private company. If someone's dress offends me I just pull out my book or put on a movie. If an airline decided to chastise me for my choice of clothing it would be the last time they would ever get my business again.

There are some roads one should just not go down.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow, adding a barefoot clause to the CoC? That is pretty odd. Somehow I think the point of that clause was to prevent customers from flying who are boarding the aircraft without shoes - not those who board with shoes and then remove them during flight.

The FA was being a b**** and needs to be reported nonetheless.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I walk everywhere barefoot. If a store tells me to put shoes on, or in stores that require shoes, I comply. I have no problem going into an airport restroom barefoot. My immune system is fine and I am not troubled by it.
I would be very careful to walk into the loo without shoes as once I saw a piece of poo on the w/c floor on an airplane wich was no easily visible. You must have been really luck so far.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:20 am
Suspended

It is a society we live in after all, and one way to look at it (albeit not a very appealing view), is that if one is going to use public transportation, one is occasionally going to be pressed up against someone with different standards of personal hygiene - nothing that can't be cured with a polite chat of course, or in my case a blunt threat.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TXagogo
I disagree - even after recently suffering on a AA regional jet with an extremely pungent body odor, I believe there is WAY too much room for an airline to get itself into an unenforceable debacle that would turn into a PR nightmare.

As much as I would love to not have to deal with seeing what I see on airplanes, I do recognize that it is "public" transportation being run by a private company. If someone's dress offends me I just pull out my book or put on a movie. If an airline decided to chastise me for my choice of clothing it would be the last time they would ever get my business again.

There are some roads one should just not go down.
I too sat by somebody with extreme body odor recently, on a transatlantic flight. Just grinned and beared it, don't see what what the airlines could or should do about body odor.

But I do not understand why you see requiring passengers to wear shoes and sleeves as an infringement on personal liberty. There is plenty of room for
personal choice in what to wear within that minimum standard of decency.
Don't see how flight attendants could abuse that, since you either have on shoes and sleeves or you don't.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: Star Gold
+100. I can't understand somebody getting in a pissing match around putting shoes on?? It is for your own good. If somebody takes off their shoes, puts their bare feet on the floor, I don't think ANYBODY would have a problem with it. Go ahead, that is fine. However, it sounds like the offender was walking around extensively without shoes and became annoyed when somebody corrected them and wants to complain?

Companies and society makes broad rules for the safety of everybody, including the offender. I see many, many, many feet with open ulcers, with active (contagious) infections, bacteria and fungus, or slight release of blood. Making a blanket rule protects us all from having to walk in slightly bloody carpets, or making the carpet more of a cesspool of bacteria.

If the rule isn't there, then it would have to be MORE of a case-by-case which is potentially more offensive, TXagogo. I mean, there are some feet I could show you, and that I see every day in clinical practice, that you would always want covered, and I would say is medically necessary to be covered. 99% of people would agree with those feet. The feet of the 19 year old college female volleyball team might not be like that.

However, rather than turn FA's into foot inspection patrol, they make a blanket rule. I agree with it. The vast majority of reasonable people agree with it.

Don't waste your energy on stupid battles like that (whether AA or FAA), but concentrate on important, actual civil liberties, such as the body scanners.

I would agree with you if the FA said you had to put on a long sleeve shirt, etc. But, this simply is not the case, and to compare the two is nonsensical hyperbole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.