Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Criminal activity allegations and charges against TSA employees [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Criminal activity allegations and charges against TSA employees [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I hope he was hauled away in cuffs from the checkpoint ^ That might set an example for the other clerks out there...

fwiw, Another One Bites The Dust™ ^
Old May 19, 2011, 2:57 am

MCO: TSA Worker Arrested for Gun at Checkpoint

http://www.wftv.com/news/27945770/detail.html

What's interesting about this otherwise pedestrian story of another arrest is that the worker apparently was going through screening before the start of the shift. The story says only MCO and MIA screen TSA workers who enter the secure area.

The worker resigned, his credentials were revoked, and he would up with $250 bail.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by OldGoat
The story says only MCO and MIA screen TSA workers who enter the secure area.
Does this scare anyone, even a little?

Mike
Old May 19, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
What, that all airports don't screen all people entering the sterile area?

Nothing new about that and is why TSA Security is a joke.

Shake down Ma & Pa but no screening for airport workers.

That is Secuirty TSA style!
Old May 19, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold

Mike
Yes, it does scare me. Suspect that the next biggy will involve rogue TSOs, who for whatever reasons, let things through security. Wonder if TSA will clamp down on their own if that happens?
Old May 19, 2011, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Suspect that the next biggy will involve rogue TSOs, who for whatever reasons, let things through security.
You mean like Minetta Walker?
Old May 19, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it does scare me. Suspect that the next biggy will involve rogue TSOs, who for whatever reasons, let things through security. Wonder if TSA will clamp down on their own if that happens?
I think that is why Orlando and Miami are screening everyone. I seem to recall some issues with drug running down in Florida.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think that is why Orlando and Miami are screening everyone. I seem to recall some issues with drug running down in Florida.
are you saying that it's part of the TSA charter to stop drug running?
Old May 19, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
No, but they do it anyway as part of their dragnet campaign to justify their existence.

Mike
Old May 19, 2011, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
No, I'm not saying that, but TSA's actions say that!
Old May 19, 2011, 8:42 am

Me too. If TSOs start regularly bringing guns to work, whether allowed to by the TSA or not, passengers _will_ start being held at gunpoint--or shot. All "isolated incidents", of course.

That would also be the kiss of death for airlines, as no employer would send an employee to a place where they risk being shot. Same reason most pizza delivery businesses won't sent their employees to certain areas where being shot at is a real risk.

Old May 19, 2011, 9:40 am
Suspended

Act in accordance with TSA policy, and you're covered. Violate it, and you're on your own. The TSO here clearly screwed up, and the airport is going for full prosecution. I don't have a problem with how this turned out.

The problem I do have, and this applies to both TSOs and passengers, is how a gun owner can "forget" that a weapon is inside a bag. I don't know, perhaps it's my 20+ year military career, but I always know where my weapons are and whether or not they're loaded.

No sympathy here.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Bart

The problem I do have, and this applies to both TSOs and passengers, is how a gun owner can "forget" that a weapon is inside a bag. I don't know, perhaps it's my 20+ year military career, but I always know where my weapons are and whether or not they're loaded.

No sympathy here.
Bart:
I'm with you here 100%. How can one "forget". Likewise I ALWAYS know where my "toys" are.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

No sympathy here.
Isn't that the difference between a 'gun owner' and a 'responsible gun owner'?

(oops, CoachRowsey beat me to it).
Old May 19, 2011, 9:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Mike
No it does not. It scares the sh!t out of me

Act in accordance with TSA policy, and you're covered. Violate it, and you're on your own. The TSO here clearly screwed up, and the airport is going for full prosecution. I don't have a problem with how this turned out.

No sympathy here.
Thank you ^ and I completely agree with everything you said but if I may ask, is there any truth to this statement? I find it vague but if true, also very scary as it says "every single employee at the airport" but does not specifically mention TSA employees.

The screening process is required for every single employee at the airport in order to enter secured areas. The only other U.S. airport that screens all of its personnel is Miami International Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.