Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

POST HERE: What Congressperson have you contacted? Reaction?

POST HERE: What Congressperson have you contacted? Reaction?

Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
Three of the worst people in the history of the U.S. Congress--if you had also contacted John "Nepotism" Sarbanes, you would have hit the superfecta.
My wife told me to stop complaining to family unless I had contacted the Congresscritters. I pulled out copies of my letters...she apologized and asked what I had gotten back. The silence was deafening.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
I contacted Bill Nelson and George Lemieux last week. Today I received a response from Nelson. It said thank you for expressing your concern regarding "emergency unemployment insurance".

Will call tomorrow.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:15 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Called the White House todaywhere I was informed by one of the "volunteer operators" that, in fact, they will pass on every comment received each day at the end of the day to "the President's office."

I am soooo disappointed with the lack of anybody actually DOING anything!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:34 pm

Nonresponsive response from Arlen Specter:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your concern.

I appreciate your taking the time to bring your views on this important matter to my attention. As a United States Senator, it is essential that I be kept fully informed on the issues of concern to my constituents. While the large volume of correspondence I receive precludes a more lengthy response, please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate considers this issue. If you have any further questions on this or any other issues, please visit my website, http://specter.senate.gov, and carefully fill out the contact form under contact info.

Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Sent a short and sweet letter with only the one subject (TSA, of course) to my two Florida senators and received this strange email back from Bill Nelson:
Thank you for contacting me regarding a potential change to the emergency Unemployment Insurance program to include a Tier 5. On August 4, Senator Stabenow introduced S. 3706, the Americans Want to Work Act. This bill would add a fifth tier to the unemployment insurance system.

On July 21, after being held hostage to partisan bickering and gridlock, Congress passed--and I voted for--an extension of the current four-tier program through November 30.

I recently voted for H.R.5297, the Small Business Jobs Act, which provides a number of tax breaks for smalls businesses, focuses Federal export promotion activities on small businesses to help them expand into foreign markets, and builds the lending capacity at community banks to ensure that small businesses have access to credit. This bill passed the Senate on September 16 and is awaiting action in the House of Representatives.

I also voted for the Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act (P.L. 111-147), a bill to promote job creation in the private sector. This legislation provides employers with tax incentives to hire new employees, extends small business tax cuts, and finances Federal highway and transit system improvements. The bill is fully paid for and provides a net reduction of $1.1 billion in the Federal deficit. I also supported the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act because it was an appropriate response to the dire economic situation facing the country.

Senator Stabenow's bill is pending before the Senate Finance Committee. As Congress continues to work on ways to get Americans back to work, I will be sure to keep your views in mind. Thank you again for contacting my office and please do not hesitate to do so in the future.

Sincerely,
Senator Bill Nelson
OK.....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: SWA RR A-list
All 3 Offices Were Receptive 11/23

So far, I've only called, not written or faxed. I made the point to each office that I've never called about anything before, so that should give them an idea how fired up I am about this.

Congressman Lamborn's office (R): Listened to what I had to say. The gentleman I spoke to sounded very informed on the topic, and had watched quite a bit of last week's hearings. He didn't seem to be in a hurry to get me off the phone, and had a few comments of his own. At the end of our chat, I asked what the ratio was of those opposing the new policies to those in favor. He said it was overwhelmingly opposed.

Sen Udall's office (D) listened to what I had to say and responded that the Senator was paying attention to the balance between security and privacy (or something along those lines). I reiterated that I thought the situation was completely unbalanced. This was much more of a one-way exchange.

Sen Bennet's office (D) listened to what I had to say and responded (unprompted) that I was "one of many" expressing this opinion.

I actually registered for FlyerTalk just to report my experiences today and to bump this thread back up. Opting out is important. Contacting your airline is important (and I called SW yesterday to cancel several trips and voice my displeasure). Contacting your elected representatives is an essential part of the strategy - please keep doing so. If you haven't called yet, it takes less time than waiting to be irradiated/groped at the airport. You can call during your morning coffee, between meetings/flights, or during a commercial break on TV. Following up with a letter/fax is a great idea, but you can probably call right now while you're thinking about it. Please do. Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Sent a short and sweet letter with only the one subject (TSA, of course) to my two Florida senators and received this strange email back from Bill Nelson:
OK.....
I suggest you try him again. I had a diaglogue with him (staffers) a few years ago and was pleased with their attitude.

I didn't email him this time around though because I was holding out for that Florida rep who wants airports to abandon the TSA. I wrote to him, highlighting my belief that non-TSA airports are still required to follow SOP... still waiting for a reply. Basically, I admire the guy's spirit, but want to make sure he comprehends the relevant fact set.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Response rec'd today from Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), which addressed nothing from my letter, of course:

Dear Ms. NotACriminal:

Thank you for sharing your views about the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) airport screening methods.

Air travel in the United States should be the safest and most efficient in the world. The Transportation Security Administration is increasing the number of millimeter-wave scanners in airports around the country as part of a program to increase security at our nation’s airports. This new technology is able to detect concealed plastic and ceramic weapons as well as explosives that evade traditional metal detectors. According to TSA, this screening method is safe for all passengers — including pregnant women, children, and passengers with medical devices. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institute for Standards and Technology, and Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory have all confirmed that this technology is safe. In fact, travelers receive more radiation from two minutes of an airline flight than from passing through one millimeter-wave scanner.

TSA has set up an alternate security measure for passengers who feel uncomfortable being screened by the body image scanner. These individuals may decline to go through the scanner and will be patted down by a TSA officer of the same gender. All travelers have the right to request that a pat-down be conducted in a private room and witnessed by a person of that traveler’s choice.

I believe that TSA must take seriously the concerns of Americans about security measures, and seek the least intrusive approaches that still assure passenger safety. I support bolstering the safeguards in place to prevent terrorists from entering our country and endangering our citizens. However, it makes sense to explore whether there are strategies other than millimeter-wave scanners that could be employed to discover concealed explosives and weapons that are not detectable by traditional methods.

Should relevant legislation come before the Senate, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
Response rec'd today from Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), which addressed nothing from my letter, of course...
I'd prefer to get no reply than one like that. Maybe I'm lucky my representatives haven't responded.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant
I contacted Congressman Mica and Senator Marie Cantwell's office today. You?
I emailed Senators Harry Reid and John Ensign, and Representative Dean Heller expressing my point of view against this molestation.

I emailed Ron Paul thanking him.

I emailed Mica thanking him for sending the letters to the airport, but reminded him the issue was the policy as much as the people.

I emailed Boehner telling him he's a disgusting piece of crap with his behavior at Ronald Reagan Int'l and gently reminded him that WE THE PEOPLE changed control of Congress because WE THE PEOPLE weren't being listened to, and he better start listening to WE THE PEOPLE.

I emailed Fox News, MS NBC, CNN, and 2 local papers thanking them for their extensive reporting on the issue and encouraging them to continue to report atrocities.

I haven't gotten a response from anyone yet. But I just sent it Saturday and with the holiday week and all... you know.

Is it more effective if I call?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Sen. Dick Durbin (IL) shortly before the election. The first response I got was defensive. Followed up the day the air cargo story came out with a bit stronger of an email and got no response.

Rep. Mike Quigley (IL) shortly before the election. Got no response (or maybe an automated email acknowledging my email but not addressing the facts).

As soon as Sen. Mark Kirk is sworn in, he'll be getting a letter from me, too.
Hey, chgoeditor, you and I must be neighbors! Durbin, Quigley and Kirk will get my letters tomorrow; I wanted to wait until Kirk is sworn in and I completed my first travel this past weekend under the doubleplus good police state.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clanum
I have written physical letters for Heller (R-NV), Reid (D-NV), and Ensign (R-NV). I have an ex-girlfriend who used to work for a Senator's office and she said that physical letters in the mail are generally given more weight than e-mailed letters. I mailed the letters yesterday, so I haven't heard anything back yet.
EXCELLENT.

Not only is this useful, this is doubly useful because we are apparently in the same district.

I was thinking about snail mailing failed ex-Governor Nappy. I will do this now, and include one for Reid, Ensign and Heller.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by clanum
I have an ex-girlfriend who used to work for a Senator's office and she said that physical letters in the mail are generally given more weight than e-mailed letters.
IME, probably not. And it can take a few days (or more) for a mailed letter to arrive because of the security screening. Try faxing, if email's too impersonal for you.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ConcernedAndScared
I emailed Senators Harry Reid and John Ensign, and Representative Dean Heller expressing my point of view against this molestation.

I emailed Ron Paul thanking him.

I emailed Mica thanking him for sending the letters to the airport, but reminded him the issue was the policy as much as the people.

I emailed Boehner telling him he's a disgusting piece of crap with his behavior at Ronald Reagan Int'l and gently reminded him that WE THE PEOPLE changed control of Congress because WE THE PEOPLE weren't being listened to, and he better start listening to WE THE PEOPLE.

I emailed Fox News, MS NBC, CNN, and 2 local papers thanking them for their extensive reporting on the issue and encouraging them to continue to report atrocities.

I haven't gotten a response from anyone yet. But I just sent it Saturday and with the holiday week and all... you know.

Is it more effective if I call?
I also contacted SWA and told them I won't fly anymore and I encouraged them to do what they can.

I also intend to contact them every time I "would normally fly" but opt to drive instead reminding them that this was a missed sale for them and asking what they are doing to stop it. Next one of these won't be till Christmas though... maybe we'll be done with this nonsense by then?

By the way, I like the poster's suggestion upthread to contact the CEO's of these carriers and telling them you contacted your Senator/Representative and that they were uncooperative. I intend to do exactly that, as soon as I determine if my Senators/Representative are, in fact, uncooperative.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
FWIW I wrote to the US Embassy here explaining why I had cancelled two trips to the US and will continue to do so - no response and I am probably now on some 'don't give this joker a visa' list...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.