FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   How REAL law enforcement professionals view the TSA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1133210-how-real-law-enforcement-professionals-view-tsa.html)

N965VJ Oct 4, 2010 12:38 pm

How REAL law enforcement professionals view the TSA

Officer.com is something like the FlyerTalk of the law enforcement community, as far as scope and range of topics. It seems a TSA screener started a thread about their badges and getting cut some slack. Hilarity ensues. :D

Pick your favorite comment from what real LEOs think of the TSA in this epic thread.

halls120 Oct 4, 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 14884681)
Officer.com is something like the FlyerTalk of the law enforcement community, as far as scope and range of topics. It seems a TSA screening clerk started a thread about their badges and getting cut some slack. Hilarity ensues. :D

Pick your favorite comment from what real LEOs think of the TSA in this epic thread.

So many to choose from - I like this one the best.

I certainly hope you didn't expect pc while wearing a tso uniform. That would be like giving pc to Paul Blart mall cop.

FliesWay2Much Oct 4, 2010 1:08 pm

Here's some for starters:

I know two TSO's personally. I know them because they applied with my agency, and did not get picked up due to criminal records

Just think about this: do you want your health care run by the same people who run TSA????

Really? Because the TSA here had a confirmed gang member working for them....until WE notified them.

Note to TSA.........The vast majority of us (airport police) can't stand your agency. When you are calling us to "suspicious" items like obvious junk pieces of luggage in a garbage can, or an abandoned pet carrier (with a cage door that you CAN SEE INTO!!), all we do is curse you after we clear the call. Found a lone shotgun shell sitting on the ground outside of security? Big deal. It's NOT an illegal item. Throw it away. You don't need to call the cops to come get it.

It's not just the drinking and smoking weed in the lots (airline employees do it too), but I know of quite a few TSA vehicles where the registered owner is Suspended for Failure to Appear or Pay Fines. I just wish my shift didn't end before they went home for the day...... and warrants ( felony and misd.) Grand theft(ever wonder about those thefts at the screening stations? "watch " how some TSOs "conveniently" carry off the item containers as passengers walk thru), burglary, and weapons violations( seems they have no problem carrying guns themselves to work)

I flew armed on an extradition a couple of months ago. Funny, funny. My prisoner's ID was expired so they (ed: TSA) didn't want him to fly.
They called a supervisor over and got him okay-ed.

TNGALINFLORIDA Oct 4, 2010 1:23 pm

My father has been an LEO for 35 years. He's currently the Chief of Police for a police department in TN. Let's just say the words that came out of his mouth about TSA and their shennanigans when we went to Indy last month, aren't appropriate for me to re-type here! :)

This is my favorite quote so far:

A badge is earned, through long nights of pepsi, redbull, and coffee combined... then taking an exam the next day.... after you hopefully pass... break for lunch and go run a mile and 1/2 a fun 4 hours of physical fun packed activity. This can last for 4 to 6 months then its not over. You come back home and train some more, test some more, and job still on the line.. When that probation is over.. You don't even want to see your badge..lol... A badge is earned through sweat, sleepless nights, etc. When you get a badge after a few days of training and want to be considered LEO.. it aint going to happen.. its actually kind of an insult.. Your a Federal Employee not a Federal LEO..

Boggie Dog Oct 4, 2010 1:31 pm

Need to link the "To be fair" post to those guys, let them really get a laugh.

clrankin Oct 4, 2010 1:38 pm

I wonder what these guys would think of Ronnie and his "Das TSA est uber-American" nonsense... :D

wildcatlh Oct 4, 2010 1:41 pm

Hm. On the one hand, this makes me laugh. On the other hand, the abuse of the constitution by LEOs makes the TSA look like absolute strict constitutionalists.

So, I'll just say "a pox on both their houses" and leave it at that.

FriendlySkies Oct 4, 2010 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Delta_V
Is this supposed to be some sort of joke? You consider having to come to work on time and being told not to engage in inappropriate conversations having to "work hard" to keep your job? McDonalds has the same rules.

:D :D :D

Originally Posted by furie
are you sure they worked for TSA?
You can't be employed by TSA if you have a criminal record, just like every other federal agency.

:rolleyes: x 100000000

Boggie Dog Oct 4, 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by furie
are you sure they worked for TSA?
You can't be employed by TSA if you have a criminal record, just like every other federal agency
Apparently furie didn't read this:

TSA forces Richmond airport to issue access badge to convicted felon
by Scott Carmichael (RSS feed) on Feb 4th 2010 at 5:00PM

In today's episode of "what did the TSA do this time?", the agency is under fire for not only hiring a convicted felon, but demanding that his assigned airport issue him an access badge

http://www.gadling.com/2010/02/04/ts...o-convicted-f/

I may register just to post that story.

Global_Hi_Flyer Oct 4, 2010 3:44 pm

Didn't someone just post a thread saying that not everyone hates the TSA? ;)

deldel Oct 4, 2010 4:12 pm

My favorite referring to Minneapolis/St.:

Really? Because the TSA here had a confirmed gang member working for them....until WE notified them. The TSA background investigations are so backlogged that they sometimes have people working for them for a year BEFORE the background checks are completed.

exbayern Oct 4, 2010 4:48 pm

Huh.

Some of our resident TSOs I believe had something different to say recently. :confused:

MastaHanky Oct 4, 2010 5:24 pm

I have a former co-worker from the retail sector who works for TSA. He told me (about 6 years ago) that he is a "federal agent". I told him that, "No, you're a federal employee". He said his job title stated he was a "Federal Screening Agent". I told him I'm sure the janitors at the Pentagon are probably called "Federal Custodial Agents", but that doesn't make them federal agents anymore than it does you.
:D:D:D

n4zhg Oct 4, 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 14885201)
Hm. On the one hand, this makes me laugh. On the other hand, the abuse of the constitution by LEOs makes the TSA look like absolute strict constitutionalists.

So, I'll just say "a pox on both their houses" and leave it at that.

If only they would get the pox...

UtterCaro Oct 4, 2010 5:58 pm

My absolute favorite so far:
[regarding the TSA badge, which reads "US Officer" at the top]
They could change it to US Pecker Checker, in respect to the last search I had.

:D:eek::D