AVOID FLL!

Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

AVOID FLL!

FLL used to be such an easier airport than MIA. However, for some reason TSA screening has become more and more of a nightmare. Today, 45 minutes to get through. Sky Priority no help. Boarded with zone 3 and had to gate-check. In MIA I can usually breeze through security.

I will start choosing MIA again - even though it has its own downsides!
On the North side, PBI may be a better option as well.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by krepki
FLL used to be such an easier airport than MIA. However, for some reason TSA screening has become more and more of a nightmare. Today, 45 minutes to get through. Sky Priority no help. Boarded with zone 3 and had to gate-check. In MIA I can usually breeze through security.

I will start choosing MIA again - even though it has its own downsides!
On the North side, PBI may be a better option as well.
I agree TSA is a Zoo there. I've been in several debates with officers there not knowing the rules.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Sorry to hear you had this delay/trouble. FLL is my home base and other than when Cruise Ship passengers are converging (like Sunday mornings!!), I find security time to be minimal. Moral of the story: book around cruise ship arrivals
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
The TSA at FLL seem to have their own stupid set of rules, like requiring passengers to hold their paper boarding passes in their hands past the TDC and through the MMW scanner. If you have an electronic boarding pass (or even if you just say you have one), though, they'll wave you through without needing to double-check your magical piece of paper.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eturowski
The TSA at FLL seem to have their own stupid set of rules, like requiring passengers to hold their paper boarding passes in their hands past the TDC and through the MMW scanner. If you have an electronic boarding pass (or even if you just say you have one), though, they'll wave you through without needing to double-check your magical piece of paper.
Different rules frustrate me too but is that really a reason to "avoid FLL?"
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Different rules frustrate me too but is that really a reason to "avoid FLL?"
No, it was in response to this:

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I agree TSA is a Zoo there. I've been in several debates with officers there not knowing the rules.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Agreed. I flew into FLL yesterday and am booked out of MIA for Tuesday because my last couple experiences flying out of FLL were nightmarish. PBI when possible is best.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN
TSA Pre is usually a breeze there.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by Zamees
TSA Pre is usually a breeze there.
Perhaps but if you call the TSA out on not knowing their own rules then they start raging.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
Sorry to hear you had this delay/trouble. FLL is my home base and other than when Cruise Ship passengers are converging (like Sunday mornings!!), I find security time to be minimal. Moral of the story: book around cruise ship arrivals
I agree you just need to avoid Saturday and Sunday between 9 and 2 because of all the cruise ships. This is the height of the cruise ship season at port everglades.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

TSA employees should largely be ignored. If the employee is ignorant of the rules, summon the employee's supervisor.

Any wait longer than 10 min for any reason should be the subject of a formal complaint.

TSA Complaint Line: 1-866-289-9673. Do not let them put you off or send you to the waste of electrons/photons known as the blog. Insist on a formal complaint. Identify any ignorant/harassing employee by name.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Quote:

TSA employees should largely be ignored. If the employee is ignorant of the rules, summon the employee's supervisor.

Any wait longer than 10 min for any reason should be the subject of a formal complaint.

TSA Complaint Line: 1-866-289-9673. Do not let them put you off or send you to the waste of electrons/photons known as the blog. Insist on a formal complaint. Identify any ignorant/harassing employee by name.
I do. I ask for a STSO and TSM and half the time they refuse to even call the TSM which is in violation of the TSA SOP. I email the FSD, Deputy FSD ADFSD of screening every time I have an issue and they are good at fixing it but at the same time the TSA just don't learn. They literally have a power trip and hate being called out on things. Now when I go through once they ask me if I have another form of ID because they won't accept nexus I just state supervisory TSO and TSM. Then write down their name, take a picture of them, and step aside as to not hold up the line.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I do. I ask for a STSO and TSM and half the time they refuse to even call the TSM which is in violation of the TSA SOP. I email the FSD, Deputy FSD ADFSD of screening every time I have an issue and they are good at fixing it but at the same time the TSA just don't learn. They literally have a power trip and hate being called out on things. Now when I go through once they ask me if I have another form of ID because they won't accept nexus I just state supervisory TSO and TSM. Then write down their name, take a picture of them, and step aside as to not hold up the line.
Good. Contact your congresscritters as well. And cc: Delta. They need to hear that people trying to complete financial transactions with Delta are being needlessly impeded by unnecessary government employee harassment.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Perhaps but if you call the TSA out on not knowing their own rules then they start raging.
I see you are beginning to learn a few things about human nature. Good for you!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Quote:

I see you are beginning to learn a few things about human nature. Good for you!
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.