Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goalie
bolding mine: so the employees using the nude-o-scopes don't rally trust that they work are they just plane stoopit?

What do you expect when the job you work at is lower than McDonald's French Fry Salter?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Were the 3 after you males, females, or a mix? If any females, did you happen to watch their enhanced pat downs to see if a hand went into the crotch?

Were you advised of the front of the hand thing and also advised before your genitals were palmed? If not, did you file a complaint?
They were all male, one older and two younger. Their genitals were also palmed.

I was not advised, and I did not file an official complaint because I was in a hurry to catch the flight. I wasn't traveling on my own time, and missing my flight would not have had a good impact on my work schedule.

Last edited by mozgytog; Aug 25, 2010 at 6:30 pm
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by VegasCableGuy
It sounds like Enhanced Patdowns are definitely being used at places other than BOS & LAS (where media reports said they were being tested). Between my experience at OMA described earlier and your description of a special patdown procedure (that some TSOs aren't yet certified with) it sounds like Enhanced Patdowns may be the new standard for WBI skipping.

It's upsetting that all of this is being done in the dark.
Just a question: when did these enhanced patdowns start in LAS?

I was travelling LAS-DEN-YYC and at 5AM I was selected for secondary screening which basically involved me being place in a large, see through box with a TSO hollering for a male. He came in...did not explain anything, but was friendly - just a hands-up type of thing, quick pat. This was back in April.

Thanks, exbayern for your post RE: Canada! Cheers.

Last edited by kylejaymes; Aug 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm Reason: edit
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
Originally Posted by kylejaymes
Just a question: when did these enhanced patdowns start in LAS?

I was travelling LAS-DEN-YYC and at 5AM I was selected for secondary screening which basically involved me being place in a large, see through box with a TSO hollering for a male. He came in...did not explain anything, but was friendly - just a hands-up type of thing, quick pat. This was back in April.
I believe it started sometime in the last month or two. This article says that TSA recently announced the change.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
I was screened at LAS Sunday 8/22 at the D Gates. No groping of my crotch area. Just the usual back of hand stuff. Of course, the first class line at the D gates do not yet have the nude o scopes...

Last edited by debua1k; Aug 27, 2010 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Were the 3 after you males, females, or a mix? If any females, did you happen to watch their enhanced pat downs to see if a hand went into the crotch?

Were you advised of the front of the hand thing and also advised before your genitals were palmed? If not, did you file a complaint?
Thats actually a bit creepy watching teen age girls getting groped. Wonder how many would enjoy looking.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
My question...

When you opt out and you wait for the pat down, what about your belongings? Can you keep your eye on them? Does TSA get them for you? If there is a line of people waiting for there sexual groping, I can see carry ons stacking up at the end of the x ray.

If I opt out and I can not see my belongings, I am going to collect my stuff first then come back. I have already had stuff stolen once, not going to happen again. If TSA has a problem with that, tough.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by blondedawn
Apparently the TSA told them it is beause they are blurring that portion of the images but so have to manually check the area.
The TSA told them . Must be true then, after all nobody from the TSA would ever flat out LIE to a passenger.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
At CMH today, concourse B. One general line (post ID check) which broke into two at the choice of the passenger -- one headed to metal detector and one to NudeOScope. I choose metal detector. Unload stuff for XRay, waiting at the mouth of the XRay for all my stuff to go inside the XRay before proceeding forward. Apparently this raised the ire of the (female) NudeOScope hall monitor, who asked me to cross over and go through that machine (which is a mite odd because there was no waiting at the metal detector). Not only am I not going through the NudeOScope because I'm not going to do that, but that would put me ~15 feet and a solid wall away from my stuff. No thanks. I say "I want to opt out of the backscatter". She says "what?" (2/3rds incredulous, 1/3rd aggressive). I say this again. I'm put in a holding bin, a female agent comes over, asks me which items are mine, carries them over to the pat down area with me following. She says she's going to do a "thorough pat down with gloves" which she will need to check for residue after the pat down. She also says to put my feet on the mat facing my stuff. The pat down is thorough, but no privates and use of the side of her hand under and between my chest. Gloves are checked, she comes back and says I'm free to leave. I thank her for her professionalism and depart. Took an extra ~3 minutes.

Last edited by michellemck99; Aug 29, 2010 at 1:42 pm Reason: better explanation
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Latest from SEATAC

MyNorthwest.com Poll

Will you go through the scanner?
Yes 18% (281)
No 82% (1245)

Total Votes: 1526

wonderfullone wrote...
In unrelated news...
Applications for employment have risen by 400%, mostly by registered sexual offenders, for TSA screening jobs.
^^^
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wimpie
MyNorthwest.com Poll

Will you go through the scanner?
Yes 18% (281)
No 82% (1245)

Total Votes: 1526

^^^
Link to the article, please.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Link to the article, please.
Sorry,

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=356057&nid=11
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Wimpie
"Perverts Work at TSA too
The people that sit and look at these all day are nothing less than the creepy perverts that we send to jail for doing exactly the same thing. Who else would sit and look at people in a state of undress all day. That's what they're doing. Electronically removing your clothes is no different than having someone stand in front of you and undress. They can make all the claims they want about security and respect for privacy, but there is nothing that would convince me that many of the people viewing these images are any different then the perverted sex offenders we send to jail every day."

^
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
A comment from the same site Spiff

The attitude is disgusting.

I just got back into town after a weekend in the midwest. 6 TSA employees watching two work at every airport. Pat downs, removing flip flops, what a joke. I am a liberial white male. I was was frisked and searched while two men from the middle east walked right by me with no pat down. What a waste of money and my time.
Pathetic from TSA and pathetic from some travelers.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:53 am

Typing this on my phone, so please excuse any typos.

I just opted out again at PIT. The one-stripe had a big problem with my opt out and with me telling other people that they can opt out too. I got surrounded by 3 one stripes who told me that I better shut up and that the x-rays are safe. I told them that I have every right to inform people of their right to opt out of a device that uses ionizing radiation, that the damage from ionizing radiation is cumulative and is well known to cause cancer.

Then they started calling for a supervisor, having refused to do the pat down until he came over and again told me that I am not allowed to tell other travelers that they can opt out. I reiterated, loudly but politely, the dangers of exposure to ionizing radiation, and again states that I am within my rights to educate other travelers that they can opt out. So he threatened to call the police, which I ignored. At this point I had a swarm of four TSA people surrounding me and trying to hammer with questions about who I was. I did not answer. They did the pay down during this, and seemed really disappointed that the glove test was negative for explosives. At that point they told me to have a nice day, and I guess forgot all about their whole 'get the cops up here' threat.

So here I sit, airside at PIT, blogging and Facebooking and Tweeting and posting about the punishment for opting out and making sure others know they can opt out too.

The above events happened at the alternate, upstairs checkpoint at PIT, in the old commuter terminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.