Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by linsj
I was in B terminal. When you fail PreCheck, they make you go through the line next to it, which has both WTMD and MMW. But an agent was guarding the WTMD and not letting anyone through it. I tried.
Define "Fail PreCheck"? Does this mean that you're selected for a random full screening?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No, they just send you to the regular line. Hasn't happened to me yet.

Bruce
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I thought my father'd be able to watch my stuff but evidently that wasn't the case, so I took all my stuff into the side room with me when they grabbed two female assists.
Did you choose a private screening at BOS? Why?

The only time "watching your stuff" is a big deal is when you're stuck on the opposite side of the checkpoint while waiting for the patdown. Otherwise, it stays with you the whole time your getting groped.

And I've never seen it in person, but I've heard stories that if a travel partner were to touch your luggage before your patdown is done, TSA will go batsh*t crazy on both of you. Be careful.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Did you choose a private screening at BOS? Why?

The only time "watching your stuff" is a big deal is when you're stuck on the opposite side of the checkpoint while waiting for the patdown. Otherwise, it stays with you the whole time your getting groped.

And I've never seen it in person, but I've heard stories that if a travel partner were to touch your luggage before your patdown is done, TSA will go batsh*t crazy on both of you. Be careful.
Nope, I didn't choose a private screening, but they gave me one anyway. And I asked if my father could watch my things, and they didn't say anything either way, so he didn't.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
Nope, I didn't choose a private screening, but they gave me one anyway. And I asked if my father could watch my things, and they didn't say anything either way, so he didn't.

(I can't see any details in your post)

Did you protest the use of a private screening (apparently) against your will?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
ORD T-2 just now. All lanes to MMW, tell the gate keeper I cant raise my arm above my head. Calls for male assist, who shows up in under 30 secs.

Patdown was cursory, no waistband or collar check, no groin rub. Was asked if I wanted a private screening but didn't get the rest of the speech.

2 lanes were funnelling into 1 MMW, and I was done with my patdown before the lady behind me got thru the scanner.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
CLE-UA* yesterday (3/9):

Torn rotator cuff and thru the WTMD and putting my belongings back together in 3 minutes.

*Precheck is coming to CLE-UA** either the end of March or early April as all BP's were being scanned to give the TSO's "practice". I got 3 beeps and the TSO and laughed that it was only practice but he said they are so looking forward to having it.

**I'm not sure but i think some of the terminals are connected airside so even if not flying UA, it should be worth the walk over to UA
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
and not far

Originally Posted by goalie
CLE-UA* yesterday (3/9):.................................
*Precheck is coming to CLE-UA** either the end of March or early April as all BP's were being scanned to give the TSO's "practice". I got 3 beeps and the TSO and laughed that it was only practice but he said they are so looking forward to having it.

**I'm not sure but i think some of the terminals are connected airside so even if not flying UA, it should be worth the walk over to UA
Yes, they both are, and it's not a long walk, either. The A concourse, for AA/US, usually has a short line, but B, for DL and WN, can get lengthy. Thanks for the heads-up, goalie.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FearFree
ORD T-2 just now. All lanes to MMW, tell the gate keeper I cant raise my arm above my head. Calls for male assist, who shows up in under 30 secs.

Patdown was cursory, no waistband or collar check, no groin rub. Was asked if I wanted a private screening but didn't get the rest of the speech.

2 lanes were funnelling into 1 MMW, and I was done with my patdown before the lady behind me got thru the scanner.
Odd, since we have TSOs and others who keep posting about the mythical 'medical bypass' for those physically unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS. I've yet to experience it myself. ^ that you got spared the hands in pants/hands between legs grope. Sounds like you also didn't have a problem keeping your eyes on your belongings.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Odd, since we have TSOs and others who keep posting about the mythical 'medical bypass' for those physically unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS. I've yet to experience it myself. ^ that you got spared the hands in pants/hands between legs grope. Sounds like you also didn't have a problem keeping your eyes on your belongings.
It's not a myth..
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Certainly not. I've gotten "medical exemptions" at least a dozen times.

Bruce
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
I personally have never gotten it, I know other posters have said they have either never gotten it or get it selectively, and it clearly wasn't in effect at ORD T-2 a matter of hours ago.

Additionally, IIRC, someone posted on this forum a response from TSA that danced around the issue, basically saying that the WTMD was a possible bypass option, at the discretion of the FSD, STSO, and individual screener, of course.

And yes, for the sake of anyone who drops into this forum and is not familiar with prior discussions, as someone who is actually (not just at the airport checkpoint) physically incapable of assuming and holding the position necessary for an NoS scan, I never use the words 'opt out', even though TSO screeners (and supervisors) have frequently told me that any inability to assume and hold the position makes me an 'opt out'. When I am directed to the NoS, I explain my limitation. I have been forced to demonstrate my limitations, I have been advised of long waits/invasive 'patdowns'/'very' long waits, as though such cautions would make my physical limitations magically vanish (I wish!).

To anyone coming to this forum for information, it is disingenuous to post that a medical excuse, real or fabricated, allows one to automatically bypass the NoS and/or a grope to use the WTMD. It does not.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Whether or not you choose to believe it, the medical exemption does in fact work. I have not been present when you go through, so I can't answer why you always get the grope. But I can guarantee you that it is not a lie, and I have never been groped when declaring a medical.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Whether or not you choose to believe it, the medical exemption does in fact work. I have not been present when you go through, so I can't answer why you always get the grope. But I can guarantee you that it is not a lie, and I have never been groped when declaring a medical.
I am saying I do not believe it is SOP and always or mostly works.

I personally have never experienced it or seen it work. Other posters have either not had it work or have had mixed results. Someone who contacted TSA got a response that indicated that it is not SOP, that it is one option that may or may not be offered.

For anyone who lurks here (and I did long before I joined), it would be misleading to suggest that it always works or works most of the time or is SOP at all or most airports.

It's not unlike Pre-check - the keywords to remember with anything TSA-related are 'YMMV'. Whether it's my innocuous appearance (I am not what some fools might consider a typical 'bad guy' profile, but I am very mild, non-threatening, meek in appearance and demeanor, especially at the checkpoint - guaranteed easy grope) or the airports/checkpoints I pass through, I have not been lucky enough to get the bypass - ever - and my physical limitations are there all the time, not just at the checkpoint.

FWIW, I never alarmed the WTMD prior to the implementation of NoS.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
I am 9 for 10 in successfully getting an opt-out for what I have seen called, "TSA Shoulder Syndrome". Another co-worker of mine is 15 for 15. The only time I wasn't successful was when I actually got in the Millimeter Wave scanner and then noted my shoulder issue. They said, "that's OK," and ran the scanner anyway while I only had one arm up. They then patted down my arm that was down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.