Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mikeef
What are all these reports where there is no WTMD available? I always thought that the NoS were a secondary form of security?

Mike
Almost every airport I've been through in 2011 has been using the NoS as Primary-- Especially ORD, RDU, LAX, SJC, MCO (to name a few)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Europe bans X-ray body scanners used at US airports

source: http://www.nature.com/news/europe-ba...irports-1.9391

Date: 17 November 2011

Originally Posted by Nature
The European Union on Monday prohibited the use of X-ray body scanners in European airports, parting ways with the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, which has deployed hundreds of the scanners as a way to screen millions of airline passengers for explosives hidden under clothing.

The European Commission, which enforces common policies of the EU's 27 member countries, adopted the rule “in order not to risk jeopardizing citizens’ health and safety.”

[snip]
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by doober
In spite of being in a private room (why do you ask for that?), did the fact that you each had a witness impact the invasiveness of the screening?
I ask for a private screening because I didn't like getting patted down in front of everyone else traveling. I've now started not getting a private screening so that everyone can see what we have to go through now.

As for invasiveness, I've never seen a female patdown, so I don't have anything to compare it against. On a scale of one to ten (with one being the 45-second patdown I got once, and ten being the time when the agent patted down my head even though my hair was short enough to see my scalp), I would give her patdown about a six. The agent seemed to really want to make sure nothing was around her chest. As for mine, it was about a five. Not the fastest I'd ever had, but the agent didn't get real firm and thorough with me.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I ask for a private screening because I didn't like getting patted down in front of everyone else traveling. I've now started not getting a private screening so that everyone can see what we have to go through now.
As a rape survivor, I want it in public. I'm not going into some room to be groped by a stranger.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I like mine out in the open so I can make eye contact and smile at the sheeple who go through the NoS.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent trip through MIA and I opted out.

After several minutes I told the TSO who put me aside that I couldn't see my belongings as was still on the "un-sterile side of the metal detector and the AIT. He rolled his eyes and looked away.

I then said in a louder voice that I couldn't see my belongings. A TSO from 2 lanes over said they were still in the machine. I asked him how he could possibly know that based on where he was standing. In fact my belongings were already out of the machine.

My third, even louder request finally got results.

I must say the TSO who performed the patdown was very professional.

Summary,

TSO's not following policy.
TSO's showing disdain for passengers
TSO's pulling the "lie and deny" tactic of CYA.
One professional TSO in the bunch.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:48 am

"Your doctor is stupid."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...oohs-ahhs.html
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Today MIA E was using only nudeoscopes while D was using only WTMDs. Easy choice which security to use.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Allie202
We both opted out and the lead clerk left his post to come over to me and threaten me with "you know what you are in store for, don't you?" DISGUSTING. Of course I thought of a good response too late.
That's a disgraceful comment. It's clear that he was just trying to intimidate you. Thanks for standing up to him.

I had an idea of what the patdown would entail, but was thrown off when she started caressing my scalp.
"Oh, while you're up there, could you pull out any lice that you find? We've had a little infestation at my workplace."

Then, measure how far back she jumps.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Almost every airport I've been through in 2011 has been using the NoS as Primary-- Especially ORD, RDU, LAX, SJC, MCO (to name a few)
I've seen that too. I just never noticed if there was an official transition or something they did and just hoped people wouldn't remember that they were supposed to be secondary.

Mike
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier

As for invasiveness, I've never seen a female patdown, so I don't have anything to compare it against. On a scale of one to ten (with one being the 45-second patdown I got once, and ten being the time when the agent patted down my head even though my hair was short enough to see my scalp), I would give her patdown about a six. The agent seemed to really want to make sure nothing was around her chest. As for mine, it was about a five. Not the fastest I'd ever had, but the agent didn't get real firm and thorough with me.
Private screenings are better...they use public screenings to try to force others to use scanners. Remember the moat dragon is usually to blame don't take the anger out on the patter downner unless he/she goes overboard.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:47 pm

My opt out was this summer in PIE. I took a vacation with a good friend from work, and honestly had I known a NoS where there, I would have reconsidered. I didn't do my research, but just assumed ahead of time that such a small airport wouldn't have them

Anyway, everyone was going through the WTMD so my friend and I lined up for it also. Then go figure soon as it's our turn we are now supposed to go through the NoS. (My friend and I are in our late 20s, so I really do think younger women are singled out).

We both opted out and the lead clerk left his post to come over to me and threaten me with "you know what you are in store for, don't you?" DISGUSTING. Of course I thought of a good response too late.

Then a police officer came over and he informed me that he "always opts." You could tell he respected our guts in standing up to this garbage. That gave me a shred of faith in humanity.

I had an idea of what the patdown would entail, but was thrown off when she started caressing my scalp. I still get shivers down my spine thinking of that. I didn't see any other opt outs. Everyone was looking at us curiously though as we stood to the side bypassing the NoS. Like they wanted to do the same, but didn't know what to do. Not to be overly dramatic, but it truly was twilight zone type stuff.
Damn those moat dragons. Sorry you had to go thru this.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:57 pm

[QUOTE=deirdre;17701712]As a rape survivor, I want it in public. I'm not going into some room to be groped by a stranger.[/QUOTE absolutely understandable....read my earlier post about the best way to handle the moat dragon who selects you.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I flew out of IAH on the 23rd and the staff on duty seemed surprisingly inexperienced compared to the norm at IAH C. Maybe all hands on deck for the holiday travel surge?
Strange looks on their faces like "what do I do now" when I opted out, non-sense replies like "you're in the wrong lane for opt-out", and much looking around for someone, anyone more experienced with standard procedures.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by mduell
I flew out of IAH on the 23rd and the staff on duty seemed surprisingly inexperienced compared to the norm at IAH C. Maybe all hands on deck for the holiday travel surge?
Strange looks on their faces like "what do I do now" when I opted out, non-sense replies like "you're in the wrong lane for opt-out", and much looking around for someone, anyone more experienced with standard procedures.
That's because the only requirement to work for Thousands Standing Around is the ability to fog a mirror.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:04 pm

Just opted out at IAD an hour ago, west checkpoint. I was told to stand where I couldn't see my belongings. A rude and condescending TSO told me to stand where I couldn't see my stuff, saying, "It could be a while. We're very busy." His voice was dismissive, rude, and a bit threatening. And they were not busy at all. I knew right off the bat I was in for trouble.

I waited about 60 seconds, then asked how much longer it would take.

Obviously annoyed by my inquiry, he dismissively said, "We're very busy. I've called someone over. It could be 30 seconds or 10 minutes. You could just be done in 10 seconds if you go through here," as he pointed to the NoS.

"But I can't see my stuff."

"That's the layout here."

"You're not in compliance with your own Web site. I'm supposed to insist on seeing my belongings."

"Nothing I can do. What do you want, a supe?" He was getting increasingly annoyed.

"Absolutely. NOW."

Almost immediately thereafter, a pat-down officer appeared with a supervisor. The supe just followed me over and observed my patdown, which was as professional as these things go. I thought about saying something to the supervisor about the initial interaction with the rude and dismissive TSO, but I thought better of it and just got out of there.

My experience still has me angry, but it's nothing compared to what others have been through.

My last time through IAD, I had to watch the same rudeness as my grandmother (age 91) was detained for almost 10 minutes while waiting for her patdown while four young men were sent through the WTMD. Her requests to use the WTMD were denied. My grandmother was growing visibly upset, although, fortunately, I was able to keep an eye on her belongings. Only when she started to pitch a fit about missing her flight did they finally get moving. Her patdown officer was visibly annoyed with a surly attitude. That's a story for another time -- I hate recalling it. Suffice to say that the experience has my grandmother upset over the thought of flying again. She will be going to Florida in February, and is already resigned to go through the scanners this time. She can't handle the stress and a repeat of what happened last time. TSA wins again.

Never thought I'd see it in America. I'm so discouraged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.