Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
From what I have read on this forum, TSO's should not be touching you at all without your consent. If this happens again, I would suggest that you pull your arm out of his clutch, take your watch off, and show it to him.

I would also like to know what the H3LL kind of WEI could be hidden under a watch???
You forgot to demand a supervisor and LEO for assault.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I really suspect they want to steal the watch (which has happened before). They once insisted on x-raying mine. It just makes no sense from a "security" perspective. My watch is clearly just a watch, nothing more.

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow, this is my first time in this thread. There's as many acronyms and terminology here as there is in the infamous tricks thread.... LOL. You guys should really make a wiki so I don't end up thinking that a '3-striper' is a nice sized fish!

Last edited by hobo13; Jun 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by hobo13
You guys should really make a wiki so I don't end up thinking that a '3-striper' is a nice sized fish!
3-striper: informal nickname for the Small-Brained Crappie (species centrarchidae faregropesalot), usually found at the mouths of supposedly sterile commercial traffic lanes.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
My watch is clearly just a watch, nothing more.
Maybe they just want to make sure it isn't a Casio.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
My watch, along with my wallet gets locked up in my personal carry on, which is a hard shell attaché case with a built in combination lock.

This is to prevent some sticky fingered airport security screener from stealing money from my wallet or grabbing my watch and claiming some one else took it.

Do I trust airport security screeners, absolutely not, as far as I am concerned, every one of them is a potential thief.

Mr. Elliott
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
My watch, along with my wallet gets locked up in my personal carry on, which is a hard shell attaché case with a built in combination lock.

This is to prevent some sticky fingered airport security screener from stealing money from my wallet or grabbing my watch and claiming some one else took it.

Do I trust airport security screeners, absolutely not, as far as I am concerned, every one of them is a potential thief.

Mr. Elliott
Since the federal security director at Richmond (RIC) decided it was OK to hire a convicted felon (robbery) as a TSA screener, I think that issue is well settled.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
And potential perv.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
And potential perv.
Potential? In some airports it appears to be nearly universal.

Last edited by StanSimmons; Jun 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Thumbs up First time & not horribly unpleasant.

Just had my first opt-out experience at JAX.
  • Took about 10 minutes from the time I asked for the opt out.
  • I was described what would be required of me (pat down) if I wished to continue with the opt out.
  • Most of additional time was waiting for a male assist.
  • The agent who conducted the pat down was very friendly and explained the procedure thoroughly before he started.
  • I was given the option to have a private screening (which I declined).
  • Pat down was no worse then what I have received a couple of times after being flagged by the Nude-O-Scope.
  • All in all it was very painless and I will certainly be doing it whenever possible.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
SEA, 11PM

Flying a red-eye on Monday night. I spent Sunday in the emergency room with a kidney infection and was not feeling particularly well (or particularly interested in making nice with TSA).

I opted out.

And waited, and waited.

Finally, I asked the woman manning the post where I opted out why I wasn't able to see my bags.

She told me it was my choice to opt out.

I asked her if I was entitled to see my possessions at all times. She said yes. I said, "Why can't I then?"

She said "I'm not sure, but you can't go in there until someone comes to take you through."

I had been waiting over 3 minutes at this point and I had no idea where my briefcase (containing my iPad) was. In the meantime, willing nude-o-scope victims kept walking around me, giving me disgusted looks for "causing a problem." I kept asking the gatekeeper the same questions:

"Why is this taking so long?"

"Is this delay retaliation for me opting out?"

"Where are my bags?"

"Why can't I see my bags?"

Eventually, she called for a male assist a second time. She was clearly tired of me, but I didn't stop asking until the male clerk came to give me the full patdown. At least then I was able to watch my bags.

Miserable experience. With me being ill, I actually contemplated going through the scanner, but I haven't been through one yet, so why should I start now?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Miserable experience. With me being ill, I actually contemplated going through the scanner, but I haven't been through one yet, so why should I start now?
File a complaint against the TSO for not allowing you to keep your possessions in view at all times. If you don't remember the name, you can give a description, the airport, time, and checkpoint.

Don't let the masses shame you into using the NoS. They're just ignorant of the options, and they probably wouldn't go through it either if they knew the full implications.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
File a complaint against the TSO for not allowing you to keep your possessions in view at all times. If you don't remember the name, you can give a description, the airport, time, and checkpoint.

Don't let the masses shame you into using the NoS. They're just ignorant of the options, and they probably wouldn't go through it either if they knew the full implications.
I would have simply walked over to a point where I'd be able to see my possessions. If the TSO caused a problem, I'd call for a LEO and the supervisor. I will not risk theft of my possessions because TSOs ignore their own agency's policies.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PTravel
I would have simply walked over to a point where I'd be able to see my possessions. If the TSO caused a problem, I'd call for a LEO and the supervisor. I will not risk theft of my possessions because TSOs ignore their own agency's policies.
That's what I do. Every time they delay me more than a few seconds.

Bruce
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm the first to admit -- I was feeling so lousy all I wanted was for the nonsense to be over.

3 days later, I'm still not close to 100%, but the fever/chills spells have subsided. I was fortunate I didn't have to be admitted and that the doctor thought I'd be OK to travel home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.