Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
He said/did nothing.

Do some LEOs feel intimidated by the TSA?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Not a chance. Most of them hate the TSA as much as I do.

Bruce
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Has anyone had success of going through the WTMD with a medical opt-out at IAH, DEN or BOS because I haven't. None of them will even acknowledge that such a thing exists.
It's worked fine for me in DEN on several occasions.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Just went through LAX. No issues with WTMD with arm issues.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would file a complaint against the screener who threatened to contact your employer, from what I have read from some of the reliable screeners who used to post here, threatening is against SOP.

Mr. Elliott
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I would file a complaint against the screener who threatened to contact your employer, from what I have read from some of the reliable screeners who used to post here, threatening is against SOP.

Mr. Elliott
The reliable screeners who used to post here can only speak about what they personally do at their airports.

The SOP is whatever an FSD, an STSO, an LTSO or an individual screener chooses to make it.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by chollie
The reliable screeners who used to post here can only speak about what they personally do at their airports.

The SOP is whatever an FSD, an STSO, an LTSO or an individual screener chooses to make it.
It must be nice for them to have a a job where they can do whatever they want and not get in trouble. SOP is to make stuff up as they go

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
When I was approaching the NoS I said to the TSA agent "I can't raise my left arm, is that ok?" and she told me it was not and I would have to undergo a pat down.
What did they say when you couldn't raise your arm for the initial and secondary pat-down?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
It must be nice for them to have a a job where they can do whatever they want and not get in trouble. SOP is to make stuff up as they go

What did they say when you couldn't raise your arm for the initial and secondary pat-down?
In my case, it always means extra attention to my armpit.

Sometimes it takes a few repeated barks for the groper to understand that the same physical limitations that prevent me from using the NoS also prevent me from assuming and holding the 'T' position during the grope.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond

A written complaint to the FSD followed up with a phone call at that airport should clarify that SOP is whatever the screeners want to do, again I highly doubt that threatening a passenger with retaliation in a sanctioned policy per SOP

Mr. Elliott
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDKing
The first pat down was administered by a single striper, who asked me to raise it. The three striper was standing there and told him I couldn't.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
A written complaint to the FSD followed up with a phone call at that airport should clarify that SOP is whatever the screeners want to do, again I highly doubt that threatening a passenger with retaliation in a sanctioned policy per SOP

Mr. Elliott
Read up on PHX. The name 'Stacy Amato' will point you in the right direction.

Not only was she retaliated against, subsequently when she went through the same checkpoint after management and staff had been re-trained, the xray TSO still lied to her about the correct SOP - only on that occasion, she was accompanied by some sort of CSR who was not in uniform or recognized at the checkpoint. Only after that CSR stepped forward and identified herself, only then did the TSO follow the SOP (on that one occasion, at any rate).
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Torn rotator cuff at CLE this morning around 08:30*

Went thru the WTMD

No alarm and on my way

*torn rotator cuff healed by 08:40
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:34 pm

In my case, it always means extra attention to my armpit.

Sometimes it takes a few repeated barks for the groper to understand that the same physical limitations that prevent me from using the NoS also prevent me from assuming and holding the 'T' position during the grope.
I have virtually the same experiences as chollie as a medical opt out with some physical limitations. Being unable to move certain body parts in the way they want results in extra scrutiny of that area. Not being able to move limbs in the way they think everyone should be able to move them can result in some poor experiences.

And remember, in the US skirt-wearers are usually ordered to perform the lunge. I really don't know how they expect especially older women, many of whom do wear skirts, to do those acrobatics.

And to answer an earlier question, I've had difficulty as a medical opt out at IAH (as well as at ORD, DEN, and other airports)

Now I wonder if the determining factor is medical opt out + female = trouble as it seems that many male posters have not had trouble opting out if they 'cannot raise their arms'. (And to be clear, I am entirely honest about my limitations as I have dealt with them for decades before the existence of the TSA)
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie

Went thru the WTMD

No alarm and on my way

You're sure you weren't flying out of LDE?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by goalie

Went thru the WTMD

No alarm and on my way

Not funny, goalie, not funny at all.

Some of us really do have physical limitations, and it really isn't fun getting hands between the legs and down the pants every single time I transit a checkpoint because of my limits. It certainly doesn't make me feel better that it's all a big joke to you when you get away with it; perhaps it's part of the reason folks like me get challenged and treated like a liar at the checkpoint when I explain my limitations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.