Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA checkpoint at SFO

I opted out at the AA checkpoint in T3 at SFO tonight . They got to my belongings pretty quickly and sat them on the ground right next to me during the pat down.

Pat down seemed to be by the book (back of hand, checked waistline and legs) and only took a few minutes. I did get the full explanation including asking if I had any medical devices or sore spots/injuries. I was not groped in any manner. I was the only one that opted out over about a 15 min period that I could observe. I'm sure at least 50 or more passengers came through in the time frame as there was always someone in line for the single lane.

What surprised me most was all the women going through the scanner. The passengers seem to be split evenly between men and women. Watching an NBC Nightly News piece tonight before I drive down, they did a report that indicated women were more concerned about their bodies being viewed then men, but I did not see a single one opt out.

I discussed the scanner with a few passengers while we were waiting for our belongings to move forward, and one told me a coworker was put on the no fly list for declining. I find this hard to believe. He went through the scanner. The other passenger next to me remained silent (and went through the scanner).

I walked over to the UA domestic checkpoint and they did not have the new scanners in place. I can't tell you which kind they have at AA, but the passengers were clearly putting their arms in the air and had to stand inside the device.

Oh...forgot to add I was asked why I opted out. My answer was religious, ethical, moral, constitutional and medical.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tom911
I opted out at the AA checkpoint in T3 at SFO tonight . They got to my belongings pretty quickly and sat them on the ground right next to me during the pat down.

Pat down seemed to be by the book (back of hand, checked waistline and legs) and only took a few minutes. I did get the full explanation including asking if I had any medical devices or sore spots/injuries. I was not groped in any manner. I was the only one that opted out over about a 15 min period that I could observe. I'm sure at least 50 or more passengers came through in the time frame as there was always someone in line for the single lane.

What surprised me most was all the women going through the scanner. The passengers seem to be split evenly between men and women. Watching an NBC Nightly News piece tonight before I drive down, they did a report that indicated women were more concerned about their bodies being viewed then men, but I did not see a single one opt out.

I discussed the scanner with a few passengers while we were waiting for our belongings to move forward, and one told me a coworker was put on the no fly list for declining. I find this hard to believe. He went through the scanner. The other passenger next to me remained silent (and went through the scanner).

I walked over to the UA domestic checkpoint and they did not have the new scanners in place. I can't tell you which kind they have at AA, but the passengers were clearly putting their arms in the air and had to stand inside the device.

Oh...forgot to add I was asked why I opted out. My answer was religious, ethical, moral, constitutional and medical.
SFO has Millimeter Wave.. Glad you did not run into any issues when opting-out!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tom911
I discussed the scanner with a few passengers while we were waiting for our belongings to move forward, and one told me a coworker was put on the no fly list for declining. I find this hard to believe....
So do I. In fact, it's ridiculous.

Bruce
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Voluntary opt-in

I was at ORD this evening, and the scanners were not in use when I was going through the line. The guy behind me was saying to his traveling companion, "You know, I prefer the new machines. They make things so much easier." He then specifically asked the TSO behind the WTMD if he could use the scanner, so they pulled off the rope and let him use it.

As I was walking over to the bench to put back on my shoes, I looked over to see the same guy was now in the glass penalty box, receiving a fairly thorough patdown after the scan. By this time, his buddy had walked through the WTMD behind me, had already collected his things and was waiting. So much for easier...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
I find it plausible that the passenger was threatened with this or warned that it may happen. But, I also do not an any way believe it would. They would have no way of knowing whether it was true or not if the were naive about the tactics of the screeners.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
I agree, at least for now. If TSA ever adopts Custom's targeting system a single item of contraband can land you on a list for secondary well into the future.

Unfortunately, given the pedigree of TSA, I can forsee a day where that happens.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I agree, at least for now. If TSA ever adopts Custom's targeting system a single item of contraband can land you on a list for secondary well into the future.

Unfortunately, given the pedigree of TSA, I can forsee a day where that happens.
I foresee a day when their blue nitrite gloves are smeared with KY Jelly...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:53 am

Opted out at IND on Sunday night. Every one was going through the nude-o-scope. I said I was opting out.
They immediately said why and why are you worried about something that gives less radiation than a cell phone.
I basically said politely that it is because I went to school for 18+ yrs and have a MD after my name that I don't want to argue with your logic.

Did get a very agressive pat down. Guy was basically hitting my scrotum quite hard (they do it 4 times) and I said you need to be careful here. He gave me the DY...T routine and I said thank you and walked off my pain.

I wonder if it is worth flying any more now.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsh913
Opted out at IND on Sunday night. Every one was going through the nude-o-scope. I said I was opting out.
They immediately said why and why are you worried about something that gives less radiation than a cell phone.
I basically said politely that it is because I went to school for 18+ yrs and have a MD after my name that I don't want to argue with your logic.

Did get a very agressive pat down. Guy was basically hitting my scrotum quite hard (they do it 4 times) and I said you need to be careful here. He gave me the DY...T routine and I said thank you and walked off my pain.

FILE REPORTS WITH the ACLU and EPIC. Click on links in my signature line.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Gold
Flew PHX to LAX this weekend. PHX out of terminal 2 - was dismayed to see NOS at security - commented on them (and called them NOS), TSA clerk said they were merely installed and they hadn't been trained on them yet. Went through WTMD with no problems, although I noticed they patted down two older ladies behind me and searched one guy's bag. I'm wondering if I was ignored because of my comments.

LAX out of T7 - managed to get in a line with NOS and was telling my friend loudly I was going to opt out, but we both got directed to the WTMD. LAX was extremely inefficient - they'd stop the line when they had to clear someone or something and I think the guy manning the conveyor belt was a trainee because he kept having to double-check things. My friend had her bag searched because the guy had no idea what a camera monopod was. I asked about a complaint form and was told to file it online. Oh and yes, half the TSA agents at the checkpoint were simply standing around talking.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:15 am

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
TOM911 mentioned no WBI/NOS at the UA checkpoint at SFO. Can anyone tell me if the AA gates can be accessed after using the UA C/P? Or would the TSA turn me away anyway with an AA B/P?

Last edited by FoothillFlyer; Nov 9, 2010 at 11:16 am Reason: Add Airport
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by rsh913
Did get a very agressive pat down. Guy was basically hitting my scrotum quite hard (they do it 4 times) and I said you need to be careful here. He gave me the DY...T routine [...[

I would have been seriously tempted to answer "yes ... do you want to f#ck me up the a$$ with your finger today? Because that seems to be what you're attempting to do."
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
TOM911 mentioned no WBI/NOS at the UA checkpoint at SFO. Can anyone tell me if the AA gates can be accessed after using the UA C/P? Or would the TSA turn me away anyway with an AA B/P?
I did this last month; you can go through the screening station at the middle of Terminal 3, then turn right and walk to the AA gates in just a couple of extra minutes. The person checking ID and boarding pass told me the AA gates are down at the end but when I said I'd prefer to enter at this checkpoint and asked if she was forbidding me, she allowed me through.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down

I've opted out multiple times previously, but it's just getting worse... Last Thursday flew out of FLL, and noticed they were 'randomly' doing the nude-o-scopes (FLL is backscatter), I was chosen of course (I look like a criminal extremist ) and opted out of-course.

As the TSO was groping me up he said he was going to stick his hands/fingers on the inside of my pants, and as he was doing so he was looking down inside my pants. I stopped his hands at that point and said 'hey buddy, eyes up here.' He of course gave the 'doing his job' spiel, brought over supervisor, and we went back to the private screening area for molestation time.

I asked for a comment card, supervisor asked what I didn't 'like' about the pat down, and I let him have it at that point:

I have NEVER been to prison, however I have seen the intake procedure when someone is hauled off to jail and it includes running hands inside the pants the way the TSA are doing. Now, in that case the person has been alleged to have done some impropriety or crime to cause the trip to jail. In my case, the TSA wants to strip me down and grope me up in the same manner as if I have done something wrong or committed a crime. That is not right on any level. Travelers are NOT CRIMINALS and the TSA needs to stop treating them as such. In the USA you are innocent until proven guilty, so unless I've been accused of a crime you have no justifiable reason to stick your hands down my pants. None, whatsoever!

He didn't like that comparison so much. The TSA is world-renowned for its consistent inconsistency, and now can add future pedophiles creator to its repertoire, congratulations.

Last edited by magic111; Dec 9, 2011 at 9:30 am
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by denCSA
I've opted out multiple times previously, but it's just getting worse... Last Thursday flew out of FLL, and noticed they were 'randomly' doing the nude-o-scopes (FLL is backscatter), I was chosen of course (I look like a criminal extremist ) and opted out of-course.

As the TSO was groping me up he said he was going to stick his hands/fingers on the inside of my pants, and as he was doing so he was looking down inside my pants. I stopped his hands at that point and said 'hey buddy, eyes up here.' He of course gave the 'doing his job' spiel, brought over supervisor, and we went back to the private screening area for molestation time.

I asked for a comment card, supervisor asked what I didn't 'like' about the pat down, and I let him have it at that point:

I have NEVER been to prison, however I have seen the intake procedure when someone is hauled off to jail and it includes running hands inside the pants the way the TSA are doing. Now, in that case the person has been alleged to have done some impropriety or crime to cause the trip to jail. In my case, the TSA wants to strip me down and grope me up in the same manner as if I have done something wrong or committed a crime. That is not right on any level. Travelers are NOT CRIMINALS and the TSA needs to stop treating them as such. In the USA you are innocent until proven guilty, so unless I've been accused of a crime you have no justifiable reason to stick your hands down my pants. None, whatsoever!

He didn't like that comparison so much. The TSA is world-renowned for its consistent inconsistency, and now can add future pedophiles creator to its repertoire, congratulations.
As I suggested to another poster, file a copy of what you wrote with the ACLU and EPIC. Links in my signature. Also write to your congresspeople - the more letters they get, the sooner they will begin to listen.

Last edited by magic111; Dec 9, 2011 at 9:31 am Reason: edited quote to confirm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.