Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Old May 27, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: EXP AA, Diamond HH
Originally Posted by red456
If I am not mistaken, I believe this is at least the second report we have heard about the private room grope not being as bad as the in public grope."

However, you could be correct in your assessment that they just wanted you out of view. Not good to have other "fares" seeing someone reduced to tears at a checkpoint.

Hope you are feeling much, much better.
I had the same thing happen at RDU where something was a false positive on the gloves (they were not new gloves, I now insist in new gloves everytime). They demanded I go to private room, I said no I waived my right to that and they said it was not my right to waive, it was TSA policy that it be done in private. I then requested an LEO to witness. I had 3 TSA and 1 LEO to do the screening.

As for LAX, I will not fly out of that airport with the current TSA setup, I fly out of Burbank and John Wayne, no NoS at those airports, at least not yet.
Old May 27, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Last week at FLL, T3, my wife goes in front of me thru the WTMD, then I'm stopped and selected for the NOS. My wife doesn't see as her back is to me and she keeps walking forward into the sterile area so I say in a loud voice to get her attention, "Honey, hold on a second, they selected me for the Nude-o-scope and I'm opting out, so it'll be a few minutes!" You should have seen the look on the TSO's faces at my use of the word nude-o-scope. It was great.

Then she watches me getting felt up and comments that it looks like I'm getting a massage (and my wife is in her FA uniform!) While the TSO is kneeling in front of my groin area I state that I could never massage another man. I must say though, that the TSO who did my grope did not appear to be enjoying what he was doing. I could've been more verbally abusive but I think my wife's and myself's massage comments did enough. He didn't even give me a complete grope. I was shortchanged! It was just a cursory patdown. I used my technique of not spreading my legs all the way apart, thus denying access to my junk, but he didn't go up high anyway. I could tell he didn't give a crap and just wanted to get it over with.

The TSO then stated he was going to swab his gloves. I should've asked before the grope, but forgot, but I asked him if he put fresh gloves on for my patdown. He replied that he did and clearly he saw I was versed in TSO tyranny. It seems to upset them and bring them down a notch when you show, and assert, your rights. I have found it also helps when you use terms like NOS and 3 striper, etc. I think they get a sense they won't be able to take advantage of you, that you are educated to their ways.

Last edited by chugger1; May 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm
Old May 27, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Unusual Opt Out Experience at DEN Councourse A

Put my stuff on conveyer, and a TSO directed me to the NoS (is that an acceptable term in the new TS&S? ). I shook my head and said "No, opt out". The TSO then directed me to go through the WTMD. The TSO at the other side of the WTMD indicated (forget his exact words), that I was cleared. No pat down.

A first for me. ^

The two NoS were very under utilized at concourse A, which one would expect since it is a smaller concourse, and most people take the train which uses a different check point.

Just say no. It sometimes works.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Put my stuff on conveyer, and a TSO directed me to the NoS (is that an acceptable term in the new TS&S? ). I shook my head and said "No, opt out". The TSO then directed me to go through the WTMD. The TSO at the other side of the WTMD indicated (forget his exact words), that I was cleared. No pat down.

A first for me. ^

The two NoS were very under utilized at concourse A, which one would expect since it is a smaller concourse, and most people take the train which uses a different check point.

Just say no. It sometimes works.
I wouldn't argue with success...
Old May 27, 2011, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I opted-out twice today: once at GEG and once at MCI.

The GEG people were very professional...6AM, no lines, no stress. No "penalty box" whatsoever... If it weren't for the presence of the NoS itself, I can see that airport being on the "least stressful" list. Nice place...it was my first trip out there.

At MCI, tonight, the guy manning the entry point to the NoS was a d*ck like usual, but the pit boss (or whatever you call the guy who calls for a groper) and groper himself were pleasant and efficient. No penalty box...just a 15-30 second delay to find a groper.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:12 pm

Got selected once again in IND on thursday. I've gotten selected now 10+ straight times at IND. I now get a fast-track pat down involving multiple Agents. 2 come to get my bags, one does the pat down, then another brings over 2 swab pads. The last few pat downs haven't involved any proper touching.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by prushing
Got selected once again in IND on thursday. I've gotten selected now 10+ straight times at IND. I now get a fast-track pat down involving multiple Agents. 2 come to get my bags, one does the pat down, then another brings over 2 swab pads. The last few pat downs haven't involved any proper touching.
I'm approaching ten in a row at MCI when only the NoS lanes are open. At this point, it seems statistically improbable that it is random. I fit a profile of some sorts.

The thing I don't get about the Nude-o-scopes is this: unless every entrance to every airport in the world (or maybe the U.S., for this argument) has a Nude-o-scope, then the ones they have spent millions of dollars on so far by definition are not adding any incremental layer of security.

At MCI it's even more laughable: if you fly WN at peak periods, you can avoid the NoS by staying to the right. While they select about 50% of the left two lanes for the NoS, I have never seen them send rovers over to the right lanes and force people to backtrack through the crowd over to the NoS.

I'm sure that's a dead horse already but it still makes me shake my head and laugh at the entire debacle that is the TSA.
Old May 28, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Had my first ever opt out at PSP tonite
Very professional and quick although the machine to test gloves was
causing problems

Tons of military guys flying out and even after they used NOS
they all still had bags inspected?
Old May 28, 2011, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm sure that's a dead horse already but it still makes me shake my head and laugh at the entire debacle that is the TSA.
Yep. The supervisor agreed with me this week on that point.

IND looks to have gone to not opening lanes unless NoS is running, I was able to self select before my streak started. I don't know what it is about me, I don't act suspiciously and there aren't any visual cues that say terrorist. I also never alarm. I had a coworker who also got selected every week.
Old May 28, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: OnePass
Sounds like me at RDU. I always get picked.

My wife doesn't. In fact, the only time she's been picked for NoS is when she's with me. If she's traveling by her self, it's always WTMD.

Don't know why I'm picked on. I'm a normal joe, who happens to understand the law and the constitution.
Old May 28, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mikemey
Sounds like me at RDU. I always get picked.

My wife doesn't. In fact, the only time she's been picked for NoS is when she's with me. If she's traveling by her self, it's always WTMD.

Don't know why I'm picked on. I'm a normal joe, who happens to understand the law and the constitution.
You must scare them But seriously, you know how to stand up to their tricks, and stop their power trips, which makes them feel small. If only we did not have to deal with this crap from TSA.
Old May 28, 2011, 5:12 pm

Last week flew EWR to PBIA to SEA to EWR.

EWR was the terminal with the security stations arranged one after the other rather than side by side, and no NoS that I could see. No problem.

PBIA was all MMW and I opted out. Was relatively efficient -- pat down of me, but no luggage search. As is becoming typical, they made no effort to ensure that I could see my stuff, but by standing on tip toes I was able to see it through the MMW machine. Also they made me walk through the MMW machine to get to the pat down area. Pat down less thorough than those I have had in other countries.

SEA I was prepared for a mess based on posts here. They were in fact sending most people through the backscatter machines, but I noticed that the gatekeeper was asking people if they were traveling together or alone, and letting passengers traveling alone go through the WTMD if the NoS was backed up. Also that there was no way for me to indicate that I was opting out, they just put me in the line to the NoS. As I got to the front of the line the gatekeeper asked me if I was traveling alone, and then sent me through the WTMD (although I would have opted out at that point if directed through the NoS). Also, a TSA agent shoved my belongings into the luggage XRay long before I was at the front of the line, so I had no eyes on my luggage while I was in line.

... Because, as we all know, terrorists only travel in family groups. And never through EWR.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by nearewr
Also that there was no way for me to indicate that I was opting out, they just put me in the line to the NoS. As I got to the front of the line the gatekeeper asked me if I was traveling alone, and then sent me through the WTMD.
Never opt-out until you are chosen for the NoS. I never give any indication until the last possible second and try for a self-directed opt-out. (I choose a lane where the NoS isn't in operation or 'fumble' with my things before sending them through the x-ray belt to time a lineup when I get to the gatekeeper.)

I've had more than one occasion where the NoS was roped off while I was waiting in line, another person opted out - shutting down the NoS, or I was given an 11th hour pardon by the gatekeeper 5 seconds before I would have said, "I opt out."
Old May 29, 2011, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Majuki
Never opt-out until you are chosen for the NoS. I never give any indication until the last possible second and try for a self-directed opt-out. (I choose a lane where the NoS isn't in operation or 'fumble' with my things before sending them through the x-ray belt to time a lineup when I get to the gatekeeper.)

I've had more than one occasion where the NoS was roped off while I was waiting in line, another person opted out - shutting down the NoS, or I was given an 11th hour pardon by the gatekeeper 5 seconds before I would have said, "I opt out."
+1

I've tried this at RDU, and it seems to work well ^ If you time it correctly, they'll grab somebody from the other line for the NoS, while you can slip through the WTMD.. Hopefully this is the case for my next trip to RDU. Seems like they have an unusual fascination with the NoS.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The SDPOO's (Self-directed positional opt out) are becoming increasingly more difficult as scanners become more numerous and the TSA becomes more aware of our tactics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.