Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mozgytog
Typing this on my phone, so please excuse any typos.

I just opted out again at PIT. The one-stripe had a big problem with my opt out and with me telling other people that they can opt out too. I got surrounded by 3 one stripes who told me that I better shut up and that the x-rays are safe. I told them that I have every right to inform people of their right to opt out of a device that uses ionizing radiation, that the damage from ionizing radiation is cumulative and is well known to cause cancer.

Then they started calling for a supervisor, having refused to do the pat down until he came over and again told me that I am not allowed to tell other travelers that they can opt out. I reiterated, loudly but politely, the dangers of exposure to ionizing radiation, and again states that I am within my rights to educate other travelers that they can opt out. So he threatened to call the police, which I ignored. At this point I had a swarm of four TSA people surrounding me and trying to hammer with questions about who I was. I did not answer. They did the pay down during this, and seemed really disappointed that the glove test was negative for explosives. At that point they told me to have a nice day, and I guess forgot all about their whole 'get the cops up here' threat.

So here I sit, airside at PIT, blogging and Facebooking and Tweeting and posting about the punishment for opting out and making sure others know they can opt out too.

The above events happened at the alternate, upstairs checkpoint at PIT, in the old commuter terminal.
As soon as they threatened calling the police, I would have said "I'll change that threat under color of government authority to a private citizen action - I am demanding the presence of a LEO immediately."
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
As soon as they threatened calling the police, I would have said "I'll change that threat under color of government authority to a private citizen action - I am demanding the presence of a LEO immediately."

They had no intention of getting an actual cop. They just wanted me to stop telling people that they could opt out. I called their bluff, ignored them, outthe WBI out of co
Ission for ten minutes because it took 4 smurfs to deal with me.

Not half bad for 630 am.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
They had no intention of getting an actual cop. They just wanted me to stop telling people that they could opt out. I called their bluff, ignored them, outthe WBI out of co

Not half bad for 630 am.
Cool
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:59 am
Suspended

I just opted out again at PIT. The one-stripe had a big problem with my opt out and with me telling other people that they can opt out too. I got surrounded by 3 one stripes who told me that I better shut up and that the x-rays are safe. I told them that I have every right to inform people of their right to opt out of a device that uses ionizing radiation, that the damage from ionizing radiation is cumulative and is well known to cause cancer.

Then they started calling for a supervisor, having refused to do the pat down until he came over and again told me that I am not allowed to tell other travelers that they can opt out. I reiterated, loudly but politely, the dangers of exposure to ionizing radiation, and again states that I am within my rights to educate other travelers that they can opt out. So he threatened to call the police, which I ignored. At this point I had a swarm of four TSA people surrounding me and trying to hammer with questions about who I was. I did not answer. They did the pay down during this, and seemed really disappointed that the glove test was negative for explosives. At that point they told me to have a nice day, and I guess forgot all about their whole 'get the cops up here' threat.

So here I sit, airside at PIT, blogging and Facebooking and Tweeting and posting about the punishment for opting out and making sure others know they can opt out too.

The above events happened at the alternate, upstairs checkpoint at PIT, in the old commuter terminal.
What was the reaction of the other passengers?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:08 am

Not half bad for 630 am.
I didn't know PIT even had a Nude-O-Scope. Is it located at the main checkpoint?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:08 am

Any non-US travellers opting out on the voyeur-scope? As a non-US resident I don’t know if I’d dare opt out if picked for scan at a US airport. Any kind of smudge on travel pappers and/or name makes immigration a nightmare when entering the US. Once, having simply forgot to fill out a field on the visa waiver when coming to EWR gave me a private chat with a supervisor and an extra 30 min in immigration.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:18 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

^

Make sure you also file a formal complaint for their attempts to violate the First Amendment.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Any non-US travellers opting out on the voyeur-scope? As a non-US resident I don’t know if I’d dare opt out if picked for scan at a US airport. Any kind of smudge on travel pappers and/or name makes immigration a nightmare when entering the US. Once, having simply forgot to fill out a field on the visa waiver when coming to EWR gave me a private chat with a supervisor and an extra 30 min in immigration.
I don't think this is a risk, because I don't think there's an easy way for a random local checkpoint worker to enter information into national immigration databases that would give you problems later. But I can understand the concern.

I reduce my travel to the US as much as I can. I don't know your workplace situation, but we have a number of people who won't travel to the US and I think management respects this. Definitely, we have far fewer people traveling there than earlier; especially younger people, who don't have long time professional connections there.

I also wonder what workplace laws would say about requiring someone to travel in a situation where they had expressed concern about sexual harassment?

If you holiday travel to the US, vote with your feet to go somewhere else. If you like, send a letter to the US embassy/consulate in your country.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by Spiff
^

Make sure you also file a formal complaint for their attempts to violate the First Amendment.
Umm, I don't really think we need to invoke constitutional law here....

Isn't there supposed to be a sign about the body-imaging machines?

Why not just send (certified) letters to the manager and security director at the airport, pointing out that the sign is missing or not clearly visible? Copy to TSA in DC and your congresspersons.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by neko

Isn't there supposed to be a sign about the body-imaging machines?

Why not just send a certified letter to the security director at the airport, pointing out that the sign is missing or not clearly visible? Copy to TSA in DC and your congresspersons.
Telling the OP what the OP may or may not say is a violation of the OP's First Amendment rights. If the sign is missing, that's icing on the cake.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:21 am

I don't think this is a risk, because I don't think there's an easy way for a random local checkpoint worker to enter information into national immigration databases that would give you problems later. But I can understand the concern.
My company is in turn fully owned by a US based Forbes 400 company with all major offices in the US. If you want to get anywhere in the company then declining visits to the US sites are (sp?) not an option. :-S You are of course correct that TSA has no line in on immigration formally. But seeing how arbitrary the whole airport security process is to begin with I don’t doubt that your average TSA goon might have informal channels with other airport/immigration security.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
I am perplexed by this comment.

The OP has every right to share any information he wishes with his fellow passengers. They are in a public space and engaging in dialogue. The First Amendment is directly applicable here in that a government actor is telling a citizen they have no right to tell other passengers about the specs of the NoS.

Under what theory or law would a TSO ever be justified in telling a citizen they have no rights to talk about the NoS to another citizen?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Under what theory or law would a TSO ever be justified in telling a citizen they have no rights to talk about the NoS to another citizen?
That would be "interfering with the screening process". Trumps the First Amendment every time. So far.

Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I do hope that you file a complaint against any TSOs involved in this incident!!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
I am perplexed by this comment.

The OP has every right to share any information he wishes with his fellow passengers. They are in a public space and engaging in dialogue. The First Amendment is directly applicable here in that a government actor is telling a citizen they have no right to tell other passengers about the specs of the NoS.

Incitement to riot, perhaps? (I'm only half joking ...)

Seriously ... First Amendment rights aren't absolute. The courts have ruled consistently that First Amendment rights to free speech may be abridged by the government --- but only if the government has a clear and compelling interest in doing so, uses the least restrictive means to do so, and does so in an equitable manner. (Insert lame "shouting fire in a crowded theater" analogy here.)

Whether or not a restriction on speech like the OPs at a checkpoint would pass that test is an exercise for the courts.

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
That would be "interfering with the screening process". Trumps the First Amendment every time. So far.

Unfortunately ... yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.