Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
IAD Diamond lane, mid-Dec

Had a midday flight from IAD. I took a look at the Diamond lane, which appeared not to be using the installed NoS. Once past the ID check, I realized that I was wrong! As this CP wasn't busy, everyone was being sent through the NoS. Face-to-face with a backscatter, I pointed at the boxes and asked the TSO, "Is this a full body scanner?" (Of course I knew what it was; just wanted to gauge his reaction and subtly indicate that I'm not to be challenged.) "Yes." "In that case, I'll opt out please."

No intimidation or dirty looks. TSO calls "male opt-out" and within a minute, the groper arrives and sends me around the NoS. The grope I received had one notable difference than what I expected: hands sliding down from the upper thigh, not up toward it. That makes a big difference: running up the leg vs. running down. I actually had to credit the TSO for his professionalism and the down-running adaptation. No junk was touched, as far as I could recall. Yes, the waistband search was annoying, but if explained beforehand and done properly, I'd say that most would find it tolerable.

From the above stories, it sounds like some stations are still being rude to opt-outs. Keep reporting on these. My opt-out experience at Dulles Diamond was a good one.

Ironically, others traveling from Dulles that day reported that most (all?) of the scopes at their [main] checkpoint were roped off. Just shows you what I get for trying to be clever.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by gatelouse

Ironically, others traveling from Dulles that day reported that most (all?) of the scopes at their [main] checkpoint were roped off. Just shows you what I get for trying to be clever.
FWIW, the NoS was turned off in the Diamond lane last weekend, and the checkpoint was empty when we approached, so definitely give it a look next time you are at IAD.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
My latest FLL opt out

I had another opportunity to opt out of the x-ray backscatter in FLL Terminal 3 on 12/23.

I was flying USAirways to spend Xmas with friends in Germany. So I picked the security line that wasn't using the WBI but was directed to it when I approached the WTMD. I immediately stated I was opting out. The TSO asked me why and I said I am not going to get x-rayed at which point he responded with "you get more radiation from flying than you do from being scanned".

OH NO HE DIDN'T!!!

At which point I let him know that I am a radiologic technoloigst and that I am not going to listen to our government or him that the WBI uses less radiation. He once again said that I get more radiation from flying and which point I forcefully stated that it's my right to opt out from being scanned by the x-ray backscatter unit.

He said OK and told me to stand to the side and called for a male assist. Of course no one came over to take me to be patted down and they had to close down the WBI while this TSO took me for my pat down.

I let him know that I'm not angry with him but I do take displeasure with our governments need to scan people unnecessarily. Also I am using my right to opt out because it is my right.

He said he understood and started to give me the spehl about how he was going to conduct the pat down. I told him that I've been through this before and he didn't have to continue if he didn't want to. He said they are required to so I let him continue his instructions.

I had the usual "enhanced" pat down but when he had to swab my hands he couldn't perform this task for some reason and returned to me and said I was finished.

We had an interesting conversation during this entire time. But it just shows how asinine it really it to think they can continue to force people to these procedures in the name of false security.

Last edited by trvlr64; Dec 25, 2010 at 6:24 am Reason: corrected a few errors
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Interesting experience. First off, I wish these clerks would not be shouting nonsense about the backscatter producing less radiation than two or three minutes of flight time
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Interesting experience. First off, I wish these clerks would not be shouting nonsense about the backscatter producing less radiation than two or three minutes of flight time
Why not? They're medical professionals* after all so it's ok, right?

*and LEO's and psychologists and mathematicians (volume vs weight) and physicists (frozen vs liquid) and......
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My experience in FLL T1 yesterday - clerk 1 who directed me to the scanner insisted in reading, verbatim, the speech that was tacked to the back of the WBI information sign. She kept reading it even though I said it wasn't necessary. Sounded like a telemarketing call.

I had to wait awhile for my 'assist', but there was no problem craning my neck or changing my position to keep an eye on my bags.

All my bags were carried over to the 'spot', and no bag searches - just an aggressive, almost massage-like patdown.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
can you ask for a female to pat you down if you are a male ?

RB
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by redondo-beach
can you ask for a female to pat you down if you are a male ?
New to town?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
New to town?
yep cheap thrills

RB
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
All my bags were carried over to the 'spot', and no bag searches - just an aggressive, almost massage-like patdown.
That's exactly what my pat down was like in T3 and my bags weren't searched either.

They must be getting used to you and I opting out in FLL all the time.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:15 am

i opted out at BDL a couple of days ago...

female TSA directed me toward the n-o-s and i politely told her there was no way i was going through that device. she called for an opt-out male assist on her radio and i was lead through the WTMD to the grope area. the TSA doing the frisking was polite and professional and described exactly was he was about to do before he executed each step. he tried to small talk me, but i was in no mood to make conversation so i kept my replies monosyllabic. he put two fingers about an inch or so inside the waistband of my pants in the front and back. for the crotch search his palms were on my inner thigh and the back of is hand touched my 'sensitive areas'. i was not allowed to touch my x-rayed items until the TSA's gloves cleared explosives detection.

the interaction was not confrontational an was handled as politely and respectfully as groping someone in public could possibly be. the TSA made no big deal out of my opt-out and handled it as routine. it did not take long either.

one of the BDL screening areas has a nude-o-scope and one does not. i do not fly through BDL very often, but obviously i chose the wrong one. i won't make that mistake next time.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:31 pm

Hello all...

I am a frequent traveler, but I'll admit, I was an ill-informed traveler up until a few weeks ago.

I fly frequently out of MCI (Kansas City) to RSW (Ft Myers). In September, I entered the Southwest security; there were 3 lines moving through, and I was directed to the left. Before I knew what was happening, I found myself in the NoS. I had no idea what this machine was; had never heard of it; and didn't know to opt-out. I was directed to raise my arms over my head, and I complied - feeling like a criminal, as well as a "sheep."

It was only when I returned home that I began to do research to see what had happened, and discovered this forum. I've learned so much from reading this site.

In November, I again flew out of MCI to RSW. Same gate. This time, I made sure to NOT go to the left (where the ONLY NoS is located), and I went through the WTMD on the right.

As soon as I walked through, a TSA motioned me over for the enhanced grope. It appears my bulky sweater wasn't to her liking. She ran her hands up both legs - until she felt resistance - and then ran a finger on the inside of the waistband of my jeans.

I was traveling alone - so opted to have the grope done in public so there would be witnesses. She did explain to me the entire time what she would be doing, and was courteous and polite.

My entire family (Hubby & 3 kids) are flying with me tomorrow - same flight plan. I will be directing my kids to NOT go to the left, where the NoS is located - and we will not be wearing any bulky sweaters or hoodies, so as to not generate the grope. It's my hope that we go through the WTMD without any attention.

However, I am now educated - thanks to you all - and will know the correct verbage and actions to take if we are singled out for any reasons.

Nervous? Yes. But so prepared.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by KCSherri
Hello all...

I am a frequent traveler, but I'll admit, I was an ill-informed traveler up until a few weeks ago.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! It's always nice to see somebody else from Kansas City
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KCSherri
Hello all...

I fly frequently out of MCI (Kansas City) to RSW (Ft Myers). In September, I entered the Southwest security; there were 3 lines moving through, and I was directed to the left. Before I knew what was happening, I found myself in the NoS. I had no idea what this machine was; had never heard of it; and didn't know to opt-out. I was directed to raise my arms over my head, and I complied - feeling like a criminal, as well as a "sheep."

It was only when I returned home that I began to do research to see what had happened, and discovered this forum. I've learned so much from reading this site.

In November, I again flew out of MCI to RSW. Same gate. This time, I made sure to NOT go to the left (where the ONLY NoS is located), and I went through the WTMD on the right.

As soon as I walked through, a TSA motioned me over for the enhanced grope. It appears my bulky sweater wasn't to her liking. She ran her hands up both legs - until she felt resistance - and then ran a finger on the inside of the waistband of my jeans.

I was traveling alone - so opted to have the grope done in public so there would be witnesses. She did explain to me the entire time what she would be doing, and was courteous and polite.

My entire family (Hubby & 3 kids) are flying with me tomorrow - same flight plan. I will be directing my kids to NOT go to the left, where the NoS is located - and we will not be wearing any bulky sweaters or hoodies, so as to not generate the grope. It's my hope that we go through the WTMD without any attention.

However, I am now educated - thanks to you all - and will know the correct verbage and actions to take if we are singled out for any reasons.

Nervous? Yes. But so prepared.
Thanks for the story and welcome to FT KCSherri. Let us know how things turn out.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:19 pm

My parents flew out of BNA on 12/22 (I wasn't with them) and they were prepared to opt out if selected for the scanner.

Both of them were selected and when they said that they wanted to opt-out they were told that they couldn't! So, they went on through the scanners even though my mom's doc told her not to.

Didn't know if anyone was collecting this type of info, but also wanted other Nashville travelers to be aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.