Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:18 am

You people seriously need to get a grip on what you are expecting from this country.

I find it very hard to believe so many of you have forgotten the horrors of Sept 11. For me, do everything and anything that is necessary to prevent that from ever happening again.

But yet, here you are complaining of a security scan that doesn't even have enough detail to warrant anyone's concern. Get a grip people, don't let Sept 11 happen again.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cityboi
You people seriously need to get a grip on what you are expecting from this country.

I find it very hard to believe so many of you have forgotten the horrors of Sept 11. For me, do everything and anything that is necessary to prevent that from ever happening again.

But yet, here you are complaining of a security scan that doesn't even have enough detail to warrant anyone's concern. Get a grip people, don't let Sept 11 happen again.
More people die in auto accidents every year than died on September 11th. What's being done to correct that? NOTHING! Instead funds that could be used to improve infrastructure are being diverted to the TSA for useless screening processes.

Stop being chicken little and get some perspective on the situation.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

children, ten times the number who died in the September 11 2001 attacks, die EACH DAY because they don't have enough to eat...

The USA spends how much per year on security theatre?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by doober
More people die in auto accidents every year than died on September 11th. What's being done to correct that? NOTHING! Instead funds that could be used to improve infrastructure are being diverted to the TSA for useless screening processes.

Stop being chicken little and get some perspective on the situation.
You are comparing terrorist acts within the US with auto accidents?? And you're asking me to gain some perspective. WOW
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
children, ten times the number who died in the September 11 2001 attacks, die EACH DAY because they don't have enough to eat...

The USA spends how much per year on security theatre?
Then why are you still living here?? Move over there and start helping them! You people are so diluted with the government solving world problems when we need to be protecting our OWN children here in the US.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Then why are you still living here?? Move over there and start helping them! You people are so diluted with the government solving world problems when we need to be protecting our OWN children here in the US.
I don't live in the USA, this is the internet, an international forum, it has participants who are not American....

perspective, pop down to Walmart and buy some, I understand it's on special (made in China though)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:34 am
Suspended

You are comparing terrorist acts within the US with auto accidents?? And you're asking me to gain some perspective. WOW
I feel sorry for you and the deep seated fear that you harbor. Find something useful to do with you time.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by voxclamantes
ISadly, I think this is a losing battle : in a couple of years the WTMD will be gone and you'll have no choice. I worry about my children, since i have to decide between exposing them to radiation or letting a total stranger feel their genitals (will choose the first, as it's the lesser evil).
At that point, choice #3 is to STOP FLYING.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:38 am

Rudy is that you?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:49 am

Don't feed the 3 post troll people!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:14 am

Yawn.

I'm glad you showed up to straighten us all out. Will you promise to volunteer for the enhanced pat down when you go through security? Let us know how you enjoy having your groin patted and/or squeezed.

You seem to be young enough to not have any knowledge of history. Events like 9/11 and 12/7/41 (what date is that?) have been used to justify mistreatment of citizens. Security is important, but not if it requires people to give up all rights. There is something wrong with a security procedure that requires people to be touched in a way that would result in an arrest outside of the airport.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:23 am

While I should just ignore it, I do think that this is a 'real' poster as I hear this type of talk quite often. Here is an excellent thread for you to read, new poster. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rists-won.html

Did you react this way to Air India? Do you ever think of that event? (And yes, even two decades later many people refer to the event just as 'Air India' even though it isn't really a fair choice of terminology)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Looks like we have some new folks.

Sample letters to your Congressperson and the airlines you're free to tweak and mail (also a list of addresses and a Congressmember finder):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html

You can get downloadable brochures with an overview of the machines and our objections here: www.dontscan.us

Bumper stickers etc: www.cafepress.com/dontscanme

Clothing with lead letters/funny sayings for your trip through the nude-o-scope: http://www.bodyscannerattitude.com

To 'Cityman' and whomever else thinks this all is much ado about nothing: Here are some of my objections, personally.

* These machines can save and transmit data, and there's no reason to think my image can't be linked to my ID and saved for database compilation purposes. (The machines come standard with both USB and Ethernet ports - the link you want is 'GEN 2 Product Sheet.')

* Corporations based in foreign countries can send whatever cargo they like into the U.S. and have it shipped on passenger jets. Cargo that isn't even x-rayed or dissassembled - while you and I have to decide between two grossly invasive procedures just to go and visit Grandma. You are not one bit safer going through these machines as long as this is the case.

* I don't think the government should be taking naked pictures of children on machines that can save them, while telling the parents to get lost if they want to view the images. (The basic premise of this violates so many laws it would take me all day just to list them all...yet the TSA gets a blanket pass for this. Go figure.)

* I have a slew of Constitutionally protected rights being violated here, including safety from unreasonable search and seizure and a right to interstate travel

* I don't believe in being a good German and sitting down/shutting up while this travesty is taking place every day of the week all over the country.

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Nov 11, 2010 at 10:02 am Reason: Correct formatting errors
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

This has nothing to do with flag waving 9/11 in someone's face as "my country love it or leave it" went out in the late 60's-early 70's. 9/11 was a tragic event and no one needs to be reminded of that yet there are those that will say "anything for security" but anything for security is a bunch of horse hockey when it comes to violating the constitutionally guaranteed rights that we all have. What I expect from my country is to treat me with respect and dignity in the same way that I give respect to it. I may disagree with things my country does but my country allows me the freedom to just that.

Yes there is a need for security but it needs to be done right and the public needs to know what is and is not harmful to them (i.e. the image scanners and radiation levels, are the images truly not saved, will by crotch be grabbed with an open palm or the back of the hand and etc) and what rights one has when dealing with the TSA and airport security and being told, and in some cases threatened (n.b. threatened) by TSO's is not "the way to to business".

So with that, my questions to you are as follows:

How often do you fly?
How many miles do you fly in a given year?
Do you have "something outside the box" (i.e. insulin pump, orthopedic shoes, prosthesis, implant) that causes you to be screened differently?

Walk a mile in my orthopedic shoes and then come back to me with your answers.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
For me, do everything and anything that is necessary to prevent that from ever happening again.
So if the pat down search did not resolve a security issue with one of you children, you'd be fine with TSA taking the child into a back room to inspect them further? How about a cavity search? Can't be too safe.

I see goalie asked about how much you fly. If your child had to go through this process a dozen or more times a year, you'd be fine with that, too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.