Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by psubill78
Just how much detail can these things really see? I guess I haven't really seen (even google doesn't come up with clear representations) of what detail these guys can see with the backscatter...
This is an image from 2007. The technology has improved since then, so you can bet the detail is much greater!

Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by psubill78
Just how much detail can these things really see? I guess I haven't really seen (even google doesn't come up with clear representations) of what detail these guys can see with the backscatter...
http://DontScan.me
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
enough details to see your genitals in enough detail to see if one testicle hangs lower then the other as well if your circumcised or not. These are not "family friendly" or safe for the cover of readers digest.
Bolding mine.

Hey, Nappy! You claim the scans are 'family friendly' and 'safe for the cover of Reader's Digest'??????

Then prove it. Go through a NoS, with the press present, and then show the world just how 'family friendly' it is. Put your money where your mouth is or shut up.

You won't do it because you know your agency is lying to the public.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spence1097
TPA E-airside about 4pm today...the whole airport seemed very empty today at this time. When I got off the tram there were only about 10 people in the line in front of me, they had one lane open, one MMW, (the big circular glass machine, I think that's the MMW) and one WTMD. They were directing roughly every 3rd person into the nude-0-scope. The others were directed through standard WTMD. If all they had used was the body scanner I can forsee the line backing up fast.

Snipped the rest.

Please post your story on the TSA Blog.

http://blog.tsa.gov/
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by minemapper
Manchester Airport body scanners to become compulsory

Anyone able to tell me if the UK has the same 'opt out' option as the US?

I've avoided the NOS most of this year, except in AMS, where they were forcing everyone through them AND doing full pat downs. On a TATL to MSP.
LHR customer care told me that there is no opt-out there once you've been selected.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by stifle
LHR customer care told me that there is no opt-out there once you've been selected.
There is an opt out at LHR - it's called giving security the middle finger, leaving, taking the train to Paris and flying from there.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is an opt out at LHR - it's called giving security the middle finger, leaving, taking the train to Paris and flying from there.
True, but not altogether economical with time or money when you're going to DUB.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by stifle
True, but not altogether economical with time or money when you're going to DUB.
What about using a secondary airport outside of London...Gatwick, Manchester, etc?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What about using a secondary airport outside of London...Gatwick, Manchester, etc?
here are some alternatives - I am quite enjoying CWL and it is an easy train ride to London if required

CWL - no
EDI - no
GLA - no
MAN - T2
BHX - no
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Opted out at RDU this morning. RDU has installed and is operating strip-search machines on ALL the lines going to the concourse with AA/DL/UA.

Screener as standing in front of WTMD and tried to make me go through machine, I said that I opt out. He looked stunned and asked me to repeat, which I did. He brought me through WTMD and ordered me to stand where I was ("that's an order"). Called for a male assist. After no one showed for a bit, he called again. Meanwhile he was standing in the WTMD forcing folks to go through the strip-search machine.

Finally another screener came over, and screener #1 said "he's refusing" - to which I said "I'm opting out, not refusing" and he noted that "TSA calls it refusing". Screener #2 gathered my things from the x-ray, telling me not to touch them, then indicated that he would pat me down. No open-palm grope today, but he insisted on patting down the bottom of my feet. Completely foolish. Asked me where I was going, and I noted that it was none of his business, to which he replied that he understood.

So, except for the use of the term "refusal" and the pat-down of the feet, it was professional. I did note that things were a lot slower through the lines, and that there were 15 or so folks lined up by the time I was done, where I was second in line coming through. Much, much slower.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Opted out at RDU this morning. RDU has installed and is operating strip-search machines on ALL the lines going to the concourse with AA/DL/UA.

Screener as standing in front of WTMD and tried to make me go through machine, I said that I opt out. He looked stunned and asked me to repeat, which I did. He brought me through WTMD and ordered me to stand where I was ("that's an order"). Called for a male assist. After no one showed for a bit, he called again. Meanwhile he was standing in the WTMD forcing folks to go through the strip-search machine.

Finally another screener came over, and screener #1 said "he's refusing" - to which I said "I'm opting out, not refusing" and he noted that "TSA calls it refusing". Screener #2 gathered my things from the x-ray, telling me not to touch them, then indicated that he would pat me down. No open-palm grope today, but he insisted on patting down the bottom of my feet. Completely foolish. Asked me where I was going, and I noted that it was none of his business, to which he replied that he understood.

So, except for the use of the term "refusal" and the pat-down of the feet, it was professional. I did note that things were a lot slower through the lines, and that there were 15 or so folks lined up by the time I was done, where I was second in line coming through. Much, much slower.
Thank god all my flights are out of Terminal 1, which doesn't have any NoS machines yet.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Howdy folks,
Had my first experience with the ATI machine today at SJC and, of course, chose to opt out. I will bullet point my experience for (hopefully!) ease of reading:

1. Barely anyone in the security line. Metal detector line was right next to ATI but since no one was in the ATI line, the agent asked me to come over.
2. I went over, placed all my things in the bin, he asked if my wallet was in my pocket, and then I was directed to go to the ATI.
3. I replied No thanks and he stated to the metal detector agent Opt out male assist please.
4. The metal detector agent (who looked like she just rolled out of bed in her double-wide trailer) said Sir YOU wait there which was next to the metal detector as a few others went through. Definite tone in her voice.
5. I waited approximately 4 minutes while she requested a male assist 3 times into her official spy issue walkie-talkie. (my items, including two laptops and my $2500 watch, were out of my view the entire time)
6. The male agent assigned to do my grope politely asked me to follow him as he gathered my things and brought them to the super special stainless steel table.
7. He explained what he was doing, asked me if I wanted a private screening area which I declined, explained that the backs of his hands would be used over the groin and buttocks.
8. He was professional about it but I found the procedure to be unnecessarily invasive, though not quite to the point of being obscene. However, I strongly object to any of this on principle.
9. He attempted friendly conversation but I made it very clear I was in no mood for idle banter.
10. He swabbed my computer and said have a nice day.

OVERALL: The experience was a waste of everyones time and was undoubtedly an infringement on my rights as a law-abiding American. Clearly there are agents out there who will be personally offended when people opt out and they will take advantage of their positions to make you wait and/ or be punished. (I think this attitude has the potential to change for the better if more and more people opt out, as it will become way too much time and effort to punish everyone). Several thousand dollars worth of personal belongings were out of my sight for a minimum of 5 minutes. The grope was BARELY acceptable as done, although the agent was trying his best to be nice. If the front of hands were used on the private areas it would definitely have crossed the line into criminal sexual assault. I adamantly oppose this entire process and if anyone in the DFW area would like to start a group to pass out flyers, educate the public, or do any kind of grassroots resistance please contact me.

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TXagogo
Howdy folks,
Had my first experience with the ATI machine today at SJC and, of course, chose to opt out. I will bullet point my experience for (hopefully!) ease of reading:

1. Barely anyone in the security line. Metal detector line was right next to ATI but since no one was in the ATI line, the agent asked me to come over.
2. I went over, placed all my things in the bin, he asked if my wallet was in my pocket, and then I was directed to go to the ATI.
3. I replied No thanks and he stated to the metal detector agent Opt out male assist please.
4. The metal detector agent (who looked like she just rolled out of bed in her double-wide trailer) said Sir YOU wait there which was next to the metal detector as a few others went through. Definite tone in her voice.
5. I waited approximately 4 minutes while she requested a male assist 3 times into her official spy issue walkie-talkie. (my items, including two laptops and my $2500 watch, were out of my view the entire time)
6. The male agent assigned to do my grope politely asked me to follow him as he gathered my things and brought them to the super special stainless steel table.
7. He explained what he was doing, asked me if I wanted a private screening area which I declined, explained that the backs of his hands would be used over the groin and buttocks.
8. He was professional about it but I found the procedure to be unnecessarily invasive, though not quite to the point of being obscene. However, I strongly object to any of this on principle.
9. He attempted friendly conversation but I made it very clear I was in no mood for idle banter.
10. He swabbed my computer and said have a nice day.

OVERALL: The experience was a waste of everyones time and was undoubtedly an infringement on my rights as a law-abiding American. Clearly there are agents out there who will be personally offended when people opt out and they will take advantage of their positions to make you wait and/ or be punished. (I think this attitude has the potential to change for the better if more and more people opt out, as it will become way too much time and effort to punish everyone). Several thousand dollars worth of personal belongings were out of my sight for a minimum of 5 minutes. The grope was BARELY acceptable as done, although the agent was trying his best to be nice. If the front of hands were used on the private areas it would definitely have crossed the line into criminal sexual assault. I adamantly oppose this entire process and if anyone in the DFW area would like to start a group to pass out flyers, educate the public, or do any kind of grassroots resistance please contact me.

Thanks
Just FYI, it's AIT.. The screening clerks would probably get mad if they heard you call it ATI, or the FT norm, Nude-O-Scope..

If you have to opt-out again, make sure your belongings are in your sight while waiting.. If they aren't tell the all mighty clerk that you want to see your belonging, and to pound sand if they refuse. At that point, I might also call for a supervisor, and possibly a LEO..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you FriendlySkies for the correction and the advice. I travel every week, sometimes multiple times a week, and will be sure to remember that it is within my rights to have my belongings in view at all times.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just FYI, it's AIT.. The screening clerks would probably get mad if they heard you call it ATI, or the FT norm, Nude-O-Scope..
Or tell 'em you don't want to be strip-searched, not even virtually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.