Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
You don't give people law enforcement status. The law enforcement types will see to that.

A little bit of Googling suggests that passing the police academy takes an average of nineteen weeks. In contrast, passing TSA's training for new TSOs takes five weeks.

From where I sit, quadrupling the amount of training required to be a TSO might just lead to a greater sense of professionalism that we complain about not seeing all the time.
I think you well know I was referring to classification of TSA screeners jobs to the LEO position.

But that does raise an interesting question or two, how are current employees transitioned and what happens to those federal employees who do not qualify for some reason? It is extremely difficult to fire career employees and they were fully qualified for the job when first hired.

Nothing good could come from designating TSA screener jobs as LEO.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It is extremely difficult to fire career employees and they were fully qualified for the job when first hired.
LOL. They just declare that your position no longer exists and tell you to reapply for the newly created position.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:03 pm

But that does raise an interesting question or two, how are current employees transitioned and what happens to those federal employees who do not qualify for some reason? It is extremely difficult to fire career employees and they were fully qualified for the job when first hired.
Originally Posted by Himeno
LOL. They just declare that your position no longer exists and tell you to reapply for the newly created position.
Himeno has the answer. If the position of TSO no longer exists, then those career employees are certainly free to apply for any open position in government which matches their qualifications. If that position happens to be a thousand miles away from their current job, and they choose not to take it ... well, that's their decision to give up their government career.

IBM did this for decades, claiming that they never laid off anyone. Technically, it was true. But lots of people "resigned" when their division was reorganized and they were suddenly transferred to a different state.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
It is extremely difficult to fire career employees and they were fully qualified for the job when first hired.

Nothing good could come from designating TSA screener jobs as LEO.
If managers followed the rules, policies and procedures for discipline and performance then it is not difficult at all to fire a guvmint worker (not withstanding union representation - that can add ridiculous amount of time to process a grievance - but see the first line). Depending upon the issue a good manager can have someone out in 4 weeks or less.

Agreed on TSOs becoming LEOs.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Himeno has the answer. If the position of TSO no longer exists, then those career employees are certainly free to apply for any open position in government which matches their qualifications. If that position happens to be a thousand miles away from their current job, and they choose not to take it ... well, that's their decision to give up their government career.

IBM did this for decades, claiming that they never laid off anyone. Technically, it was true. But lots of people "resigned" when their division was reorganized and they were suddenly transferred to a different state.
The TSO position would still exist with the added LEO credential. Not all current TSA screeners would qualify for various reasons. It is not an easy proposition to just fire career government employees.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
If managers followed the rules, policies and procedures for discipline and performance then it is not difficult at all to fire a guvmint worker (not withstanding union representation - that can add ridiculous amount of time to process a grievance - but see the first line). Depending upon the issue a good manager can have someone out in 4 weeks or less.

Agreed on TSOs becoming LEOs.
If there is no wrongdoing on the part of the employee but just a change in the scope of the job is the issue. The case being discussed here is reclassifying TSA screeners to LEO status.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The TSO position would still exist with the added LEO credential. Not all current TSA screeners would qualify for various reasons. It is not an easy proposition to just fire career government employees.
Wrong.

Firing a career government employee requires following established rules and paying attention to detail. The managers and HR employees all have adequate training - they are simply lazy, incompetent, or aren't personally involved.

There has never been a problem firing an employee who offended the wrong manager. The lower the employee and the higher the manager, the more smoothly the process seems to work.

And spare me the BS about the union. TSA demonstrated zero interest in purging the work force of trash elements before the union. The fault then and now are the same: lazy and/or corrupt managers and supervisors who themselves should be fired for inadequate performance.

In short, behind every problem employee, there is a chain of supervisors and managers who are equally responsible for the problems caused by that employee because they are not dealing with it.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Wrong.

Firing a career government employee requires following established rules and paying attention to detail. The managers and HR employees all have adequate training - they are simply lazy, incompetent, or aren't personally involved.

There has never been a problem firing an employee who offended the wrong manager. The lower the employee and the higher the manager, the more smoothly the process seems to work.

And spare me the BS about the union. TSA demonstrated zero interest in purging the work force of trash elements before the union. The fault then and now are the same: lazy and/or corrupt managers and supervisors who themselves should be fired for inadequate performance.

In short, behind every problem employee, there is a chain of supervisors and managers who are equally responsible for the problems caused by that employee because they are not dealing with it.
Again, we are not talking about problem employees but a situation where government changed the job requirements.

A TSA screener with a GED/High School or some college (no degree) education would most likely not qualify for any LEO position in federal government. That could be the case if there was a move to have TSA screeners classified as LEO's.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:21 am
Suspended

I think I set people off by not paying attention to language. They don't need to be LEOs, but whatever training you need to carry a gun and sit in front of the Rayburn EOB, that should be same standard for TSOs IMHO.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by greggarious
I think I set people off by not paying attention to language. They don't need to be LEOs, but whatever training you need to carry a gun and sit in front of the Rayburn EOB, that should be same standard for TSOs IMHO.
Given the demonstrated (lack of) competence of the Security Theater Authoritarians, the last thing anyone wants them to do is leave guns lying around inside the Security Theater Perimeter.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sethb
Given the demonstrated (lack of) competence of the Security Theater Authoritarians, the last thing anyone wants them to do is leave guns lying around inside the Security Theater Perimeter.
I'm sure they can find plenty of suitable people by advertising on pizza boxes. h-- wait...

...that's how we got where we are...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
So, I had a strange experience today at SEA.

I'm pre-check, and I (of course) got "randomly" selected for secondary screening. I opted for a pat-down, and before I could get my shoes, belt, and sweatshirt off, they had a male assist ready to go.

I walk over to the "Freedom HJ station," as I like to call it, spread 'em, and the guy puts my stuff up haphazardly on a table, with my laptop teetering on the edge of the table. I protest his arrangement, telling him my computer was going to fall, and he disregarded it and left it as-is.

Laptop started to tumble, and I lunged forward and narrowly caught it before it hit the ground. I apologized and told him I know I'm not supposed to touch the bags, but this was an extenuating circumstance.

He seemed fine about it (but didn't apologize), completed his process of caressing me all over my body, went over to the machine that tests gloves, swabbed his gloves once, then went off to the right, pulled a *different* swab out of a sealed plastic container, then swabbed his gloves again. he then inserted that second swab into the machine.

I hear him whispering around about calling Seattle PD, he comes up to me and says his glove tested positive for explosive residue.

A second TSA agent comes over and says he's going to conduct a second pat-down. As he does so, first TSA agent takes everything out of my carry-on and swabs it... Puts the swab in a DIFFERENT machine. Stuff comes up negative. Glove on second TSA agent comes out negative, I'm free to go.

I asked the supervisor if the explosive residue detection ever "randomly" comes up with a positive the way the metal detectors "randomly" come up with people to scan for secondary. She said no, but that "many household items can come back as positive" and told me to have a good flight.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
You said:

Originally Posted by josmul123
He seemed fine about it (but didn't apologize), completed his process of caressing me all over my body, went over to the machine that tests gloves, swabbed his gloves once, then went off to the right, pulled a *different* swab out of a sealed plastic container, then swabbed his gloves again. he then inserted that second swab into the machine.
You neglected to mention whether he actually tested the first swab, or if he just swabbed his gloves and immediately went to the other swab container.

If he tested the first swab and it came up positive, I understand why he'd go to a completely different container for a second swab, to eliminate the possibility that the first positive swab came from a contaminated container.

I also understand why he swabbed your stuff and tested it on a different machine - to eliminate the possibility that the first machine was broken and throwing false positives.

And I understand why a second TSO did a second swab test on a second pair of gloves after patting you down - to eliminate the possibility of the first TSO being the source of the contamination.

All in all, the redundancy of these tests seems far more scientific than I would have given the average TSO credit for. My only complaint is that the second TSO felt it necessary to give you a complete second pat-down; if all they need is a second sample from a different TSO for testing in a different machine, a full pat-down really wasn't necessary. All they had to do was swab YOU with the second swab and eliminate the need for a pair of gloves at all (another possible source of contamination).

So, I guess my thoughts are, nothing to see here, move along. Oh, and that they're still allowing opt-outs at SEA, at least in the PreCheck lanes.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
You said:

You neglected to mention whether he actually tested the first swab, or if he just swabbed his gloves and immediately went to the other swab container.

If he tested the first swab and it came up positive, I understand why he'd go to a completely different container for a second swab, to eliminate the possibility that the first positive swab came from a contaminated container.

I also understand why he swabbed your stuff and tested it on a different machine - to eliminate the possibility that the first machine was broken and throwing false positives.

And I understand why a second TSO did a second swab test on a second pair of gloves after patting you down - to eliminate the possibility of the first TSO being the source of the contamination.

All in all, the redundancy of these tests seems far more scientific than I would have given the average TSO credit for. My only complaint is that the second TSO felt it necessary to give you a complete second pat-down; if all they need is a second sample from a different TSO for testing in a different machine, a full pat-down really wasn't necessary. All they had to do was swab YOU with the second swab and eliminate the need for a pair of gloves at all (another possible source of contamination).

So, I guess my thoughts are, nothing to see here, move along. Oh, and that they're still allowing opt-outs at SEA, at least in the PreCheck lanes.
Didn't hear any beeps on the first swab. Looked as though he rubbed it on his glove, put it down, and got a second swab immediately. Maybe he accidentally grabbed a contaminated swab the first time around? To me it seemed nefarious, like he wanted it to test positive.

Yes, opt outs are alive and well at SEA in precheck, and as of a week ago, also at DTW regular lanes, as I went through when precheck was closed and refused the scanner.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by josmul123
A second TSA agent comes over and says he's going to conduct a second pat-down.
At least they didn't demand that you off to a private room with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.