Nude-O-Scope Opt Out Stories [merged]


Old Mar 8, 13, 8:06 am
  #3601
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IAH mostly.
Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Posts: 495
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome View Post
I thought my father'd be able to watch my stuff but evidently that wasn't the case, so I took all my stuff into the side room with me when they grabbed two female assists.
Did you choose a private screening at BOS? Why?

The only time "watching your stuff" is a big deal is when you're stuck on the opposite side of the checkpoint while waiting for the patdown. Otherwise, it stays with you the whole time your getting groped.

And I've never seen it in person, but I've heard stories that if a travel partner were to touch your luggage before your patdown is done, TSA will go batsh*t crazy on both of you. Be careful.
cottonmather0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 13, 9:26 pm
  #3602
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BOS/YYZ
Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by cottonmather0 View Post
Did you choose a private screening at BOS? Why?

The only time "watching your stuff" is a big deal is when you're stuck on the opposite side of the checkpoint while waiting for the patdown. Otherwise, it stays with you the whole time your getting groped.

And I've never seen it in person, but I've heard stories that if a travel partner were to touch your luggage before your patdown is done, TSA will go batsh*t crazy on both of you. Be careful.
Nope, I didn't choose a private screening, but they gave me one anyway. And I asked if my father could watch my things, and they didn't say anything either way, so he didn't.
longwaybackhome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 13, 3:55 am
  #3603
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,159
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome View Post
Nope, I didn't choose a private screening, but they gave me one anyway. And I asked if my father could watch my things, and they didn't say anything either way, so he didn't.


(I can't see any details in your post)

Did you protest the use of a private screening (apparently) against your will?
dinoscool3 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 11:00 am
  #3604
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Posts: 349
ORD T-2 just now. All lanes to MMW, tell the gate keeper I cant raise my arm above my head. Calls for male assist, who shows up in under 30 secs.

Patdown was cursory, no waistband or collar check, no groin rub. Was asked if I wanted a private screening but didn't get the rest of the speech.

2 lanes were funnelling into 1 MMW, and I was done with my patdown before the lady behind me got thru the scanner.
FearFree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 12:30 pm
  #3605
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 27,901
CLE-UA* yesterday (3/9):

Torn rotator cuff and thru the WTMD and putting my belongings back together in 3 minutes.


*Precheck is coming to CLE-UA** either the end of March or early April as all BP's were being scanned to give the TSO's "practice". I got 3 beeps and the TSO and laughed that it was only practice but he said they are so looking forward to having it.

**I'm not sure but i think some of the terminals are connected airside so even if not flying UA, it should be worth the walk over to UA
goalie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 2:10 pm
  #3606
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: missing YX more every day
Programs: Delta KM/PM, UA/CO, Hertz PC, TSA Pre
Posts: 955
and not far

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
CLE-UA* yesterday (3/9):.................................
*Precheck is coming to CLE-UA** either the end of March or early April as all BP's were being scanned to give the TSO's "practice". I got 3 beeps and the TSO and laughed that it was only practice but he said they are so looking forward to having it.

**I'm not sure but i think some of the terminals are connected airside so even if not flying UA, it should be worth the walk over to UA
Yes, they both are, and it's not a long walk, either. The A concourse, for AA/US, usually has a short line, but B, for DL and WN, can get lengthy. Thanks for the heads-up, goalie.
AKC6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 3:00 pm
  #3607
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 25,523
Originally Posted by FearFree View Post
ORD T-2 just now. All lanes to MMW, tell the gate keeper I cant raise my arm above my head. Calls for male assist, who shows up in under 30 secs.

Patdown was cursory, no waistband or collar check, no groin rub. Was asked if I wanted a private screening but didn't get the rest of the speech.

2 lanes were funnelling into 1 MMW, and I was done with my patdown before the lady behind me got thru the scanner.
Odd, since we have TSOs and others who keep posting about the mythical 'medical bypass' for those physically unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS. I've yet to experience it myself. that you got spared the hands in pants/hands between legs grope. Sounds like you also didn't have a problem keeping your eyes on your belongings.
chollie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 3:02 pm
  #3608
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 19,964
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
Odd, since we have TSOs and others who keep posting about the mythical 'medical bypass' for those physically unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS. I've yet to experience it myself. that you got spared the hands in pants/hands between legs grope. Sounds like you also didn't have a problem keeping your eyes on your belongings.
It's not a myth..
FriendlySkies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 3:26 pm
  #3609
Moderator: Marriott Rewards forum & Travel with Children
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunrise, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Platinum Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,526
Certainly not. I've gotten "medical exemptions" at least a dozen times.

Bruce
bdschobel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 4:01 pm
  #3610
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 25,523
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Certainly not. I've gotten "medical exemptions" at least a dozen times.

Bruce
I personally have never gotten it, I know other posters have said they have either never gotten it or get it selectively, and it clearly wasn't in effect at ORD T-2 a matter of hours ago.

Additionally, IIRC, someone posted on this forum a response from TSA that danced around the issue, basically saying that the WTMD was a possible bypass option, at the discretion of the FSD, STSO, and individual screener, of course.

And yes, for the sake of anyone who drops into this forum and is not familiar with prior discussions, as someone who is actually (not just at the airport checkpoint) physically incapable of assuming and holding the position necessary for an NoS scan, I never use the words 'opt out', even though TSO screeners (and supervisors) have frequently told me that any inability to assume and hold the position makes me an 'opt out'. When I am directed to the NoS, I explain my limitation. I have been forced to demonstrate my limitations, I have been advised of long waits/invasive 'patdowns'/'very' long waits, as though such cautions would make my physical limitations magically vanish (I wish!).

To anyone coming to this forum for information, it is disingenuous to post that a medical excuse, real or fabricated, allows one to automatically bypass the NoS and/or a grope to use the WTMD. It does not.
chollie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 4:07 pm
  #3611
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 19,964
Whether or not you choose to believe it, the medical exemption does in fact work. I have not been present when you go through, so I can't answer why you always get the grope. But I can guarantee you that it is not a lie, and I have never been groped when declaring a medical.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 4:32 pm
  #3612
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 25,523
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Whether or not you choose to believe it, the medical exemption does in fact work. I have not been present when you go through, so I can't answer why you always get the grope. But I can guarantee you that it is not a lie, and I have never been groped when declaring a medical.
I am saying I do not believe it is SOP and always or mostly works.

I personally have never experienced it or seen it work. Other posters have either not had it work or have had mixed results. Someone who contacted TSA got a response that indicated that it is not SOP, that it is one option that may or may not be offered.

For anyone who lurks here (and I did long before I joined), it would be misleading to suggest that it always works or works most of the time or is SOP at all or most airports.

It's not unlike Pre-check - the keywords to remember with anything TSA-related are 'YMMV'. Whether it's my innocuous appearance (I am not what some fools might consider a typical 'bad guy' profile, but I am very mild, non-threatening, meek in appearance and demeanor, especially at the checkpoint - guaranteed easy grope) or the airports/checkpoints I pass through, I have not been lucky enough to get the bypass - ever - and my physical limitations are there all the time, not just at the checkpoint.

FWIW, I never alarmed the WTMD prior to the implementation of NoS.
chollie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 4:58 pm
  #3613
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Certainly not. I've gotten "medical exemptions" at least a dozen times.

Bruce
I am 9 for 10 in successfully getting an opt-out for what I have seen called, "TSA Shoulder Syndrome". Another co-worker of mine is 15 for 15. The only time I wasn't successful was when I actually got in the Millimeter Wave scanner and then noted my shoulder issue. They said, "that's OK," and ran the scanner anyway while I only had one arm up. They then patted down my arm that was down.
beofotch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 5:02 pm
  #3614
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 27,901
Originally Posted by AKC6 View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
CLE-UA* yesterday (3/9):

Torn rotator cuff and thru the WTMD and putting my belongings back together in 3 minutes.


*Precheck is coming to CLE-UA** either the end of March or early April as all BP's were being scanned to give the TSO's "practice". I got 3 beeps and the TSO and laughed that it was only practice but he said they are so looking forward to having it.

**I'm not sure but i think some of the terminals are connected airside so even if not flying UA, it should be worth the walk over to UA
Yes, they both are, and it's not a long walk, either. The A concourse, for AA/US, usually has a short line, but B, for DL and WN, can get lengthy. Thanks for the heads-up, goalie.
And it must be "safe to assume" that where I walked from UA (C) to the Dunkin Donuts (aka "Dunks" for those from The Hub of The Universe ) and exited out for a smoke by B that everying this connected, right?
goalie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 13, 5:21 pm
  #3615
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 25,523
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Certainly not. I've gotten "medical exemptions" at least a dozen times.

Bruce
Every time you fly?
chollie is offline  
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:51 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.