Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Had no problems declaring a medical this morning at RDU. All of the WTMDs were closed, and the NoS was being used as primary . Told the clerk guarding the WTMD that I had a shoulder injury, and could not raise my arms. He asked what the problem was, I said shoulder sergury, and was allowed through.

At first, however, the clerk seemed unsure of what to do. He told me to stand next to the x-ray, reached for his radio, then told me to proceed...

Sheeple kept piling through the NoS.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:11 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Opted Out this afternoon in BOS, Terminal A. WTMD roped off. I had my Employee Badge on, and told the moat dragon I had a sore shoulder. Told me they could still scan. I told him no thanks, and then he told me that I was considered an Opt Out, and immediately called for a Male Assist. Nice enough guy, too bad he was giving misinformation. Didn't feel like pressing the issue, as I wasn't feeling great.

Got another very professional gentleman doing the patdown. He complained that if they just let employees use the WTMD, they'd have a lot less Opt Outs. Got one of the least noticeable patdowns ever. I seriously could barely feel the guy's hands, and he only came up just past my knee.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
He complained that if they just let employees use the WTMD, they'd have a lot less Opt Outs.
If they just let everyone use the WTMD, they'd have no opt outs
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:15 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Originally Posted by Himeno
If they just let everyone use the WTMD, they'd have no opt outs
Very good point, and one I mentioned to the guy. He laughed and said, "If only..."
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:25 am

Hi Everyone,
I'd really appreciate your help with this:

I’m flying out of JFK to Paris CDG in 2 weeks.
I’m going to Opt Out at JFK & get a Pat Down.
I’m flying alone.

My Questions:
1. How can I keep my eye on my purse, coat & carry on bag while I’m being patted down?
Can I be patted down with my possessions in front of me?

2. I hear that the TSOs steal things while the items go thru the x-ray/scanner machine. What can I do to prevent this?

I used to travel frequently, but haven’t done so since 2010, so this will be my first time dealing with this procedure/ordeal.

Thank You!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buzz5
Hi Everyone,

I’m flying alone.

My Questions:
1. How can I keep my eye on my purse, coat & carry on bag while I’m being patted down?

2. I hear that the TSOs steal things while the items go thru the x-ray/scanner machine. What can I do to prevent this?

I used to travel frequently, but haven’t done so since 2010, so this will be my first time dealing with this procedure/ordeal.

Thank You!
Sadly, your things will probably be more secure if you do not opt out. That is one of the coercive techniques they use to prevent opt out. It does not mean that you will have absolute control over your stuff if you do not opt out, it just decreases the opportunity for nefarious behavior.

That said, when you opt out, very firmly state that you opt out and that you need to keep your belongings where you can see them. Say "I will stand where I can watch my stuff as it is your SOP for me to keep sight of my stuff. When my assist arrives I will point out my things and they can be brought to the screening area." What this does is use their own words from the SOP when speaking with them. It shows you are aware of policy and can not be deceived into something different. They may still try.

I have not used JFK, but reports here are that it is one of the more difficult to watch your stuff, whether because of people or the set up of the checkpoint. Still, insist to watch and move yourself to where you can. They may get huffy, they may try to intimidate you, they may say it is safe because they will watch them. Ask for a supervisor and hold your ground saying each time that "It is your SOP that I am to watch my belongings. I can see from here."

Make sure you have plenty of time. Their biggest weapon is the threat of missing your flight. It never hurts to say in a matter of fact way "I have plenty of time to do this correctly." They are not used to people who are casual about their time.

It generally is not real bad, but you may have to be assertive. It will actually get you a quicker assist at times. Stay calm and nice. It drives them crazy when they can not fluster you.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Hi Everyone,

I’m flying alone.

My Questions:

Thank You!

This is the SOP. It will be placed on a table in front of you while you're patted down.

Your worry about the x-ray machine is more pertinent; once you're past the moat it's very easy to watch your stuff and insist that you stand next to it all, even you're not allowed to touch anything.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:56 am
Used to be PWMRamper

In my experience, I've found letting the clerk directing people to the MMW that you're going to need an assist BEFORE actually reaching them helps tremendously.

My conversation yesterday went something like this, after being told I couldn't use the WTMD. Still about 4 people between me and the MMW.

"I'm going to opt out, can you call a male assist for me so I don't get separated from my stuff?"
"Sure, 'Male Assist!' But have you noticed that we don't use the Backscatter anymore?"
"I have, and it's better, but I still prefer to Opt Out."
"I can understand that, no problem."

And that was it. The assist showed up as the conversation finished. I've never had more professional Clerks. It's probably a one off, but every time I've asked the Clerk early about a male assist, the whole process goes much more smoothly.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Hi Everyone,

I’m flying alone.

My Questions:

Thank You!
InkUnderNails and cottonmather have given you better advice than I cold have about opting out - understandable, since they both fly a lot more than me and know the territory - but I'll chime in with some general "personal security while flying" advice: Consolitate! Fewer items to carry means fewer items to watch means an easier time moving around the airport and less chance of theft or accidental loss.

Before you leave home to go to the airport, empty your pockets, including the pockets of your coat, and put the contents into your carry-on bag. I typically use a simple ziploc bag to keep my small, loose items together, but you could also use an inner pocket of your bag. If you wear jewelry that might set off the WTMD, put that into your bag, as well.

Before you get anywhere near the security line, put your purse into your bag. If you can do without the contents of your purse for the trip to the airport (just take a few bucks out for cab fare if you need it), you can put your purse into your bag before you leave home. You could even unpack your purse into the bag and pack the purse itself flat, then put your purse back together once you're through security. Being a guy, I don't carry a purse, but I pack all of my pocket items in my bag before I ever leave home, keeping nothing in my pockets by my ID, car keys, and phone; the keys and phone go into the bag as soon as I reach the airport.

And then lock your carry-on bag with a non-TSA Compliant combination lock. This will prevent anyone - either TSOs or other travelers - from grabbing stuff out of your bag and running off. The TSOs may need the bag opened to search it while you're getting groped, but that's okay; the lock is just there to keep your bag closed while it's out of your control, and if it goes out of your sight. Sure, the lock can be defeated, and the zipper of the bag can be opened, by some simple tools, but those tools are mostly prohibited, so nobody at the checkpoint will have any of them.

Be sure to keep your ID and boarding pass out of the bag before you lock it, however; you will need them to get into the security line.

You might have to re-thing what's in your carry-on bag in order to pull this off; if your purse is too big to fit in the bag, you'll need a larger bag or a smaller purse, or both. If your bag doesn't zip closed so you can put a lock on it, you'll need to use another bag. And, of course, if you don't have a non-TSA Compliant combination luggage lock (combination because, you don't want to risk losing a key), you'll need to buy one. Pre-planning is essential!

Once you're through security, you can put your purse and yourself back together for your flight.

Edited to add: You might also consider, once you arrive at JFK, packing your coat into your checked bag before you check it. You'll get it back when you land at CDG, but it will be one less big, bulky item to deal with at security, in the terminal, and on the plane itself. Again, this will require some pre-planning - you'll have to pack that checked bag in such a manner that you can easily open it, stuff your coat in, and re-close it, all without the contents spilling out on the floor. But it's doable and makes a difference through the rest of your flying experience.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
In my experience, I've found letting the clerk directing people to the MMW that you're going to need an assist BEFORE actually reaching them helps tremendously.

My conversation yesterday went something like this, after being told I couldn't use the WTMD. Still about 4 people between me and the MMW.

"I'm going to opt out, can you call a male assist for me so I don't get separated from my stuff?"
"Sure, 'Male Assist!' But have you noticed that we don't use the Backscatter anymore?"
"I have, and it's better, but I still prefer to Opt Out."
"I can understand that, no problem."

And that was it. The assist showed up as the conversation finished. I've never had more professional Clerks. It's probably a one off, but every time I've asked the Clerk early about a male assist, the whole process goes much more smoothly.
I agree with this. If they're sending everyone through the scanner, it's more efficient to just politely ask for the grope while your standing there than to wait until the last minute and slam the brakes. Right or wrong, they see that more as causing trouble and being adversarial.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
I agree with this. If they're sending everyone through the scanner, it's more efficient to just politely ask for the grope while your standing there than to wait until the last minute and slam the brakes. Right or wrong, they see that more as causing trouble and being adversarial.
I have not have had the time to travel since 2009. I will NO WAY go into a scanner.
I am not american born. So what will I look for when I am travelling out of lax in the spring?
Could be that I am in the wrong lane and I will not go through.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by tanja
I have not have had the time to travel since 2009. I will NO WAY go into a scanner.
I am not american born. So what will I look for when I am travelling out of lax in the spring?
Could be that I am in the wrong lane and I will not go through.
So don't go into the scanner. It has nothing to do with where you were born. But as others have noted, the attitude of the passenger (not the birthplace of the passenger) can contribute to the outcome.

Check FS's master thread for details on which checkpoints at LAX have scanners in use (and realise that they may be primary, but there are times when they are not in use and passengers are switched to the WTMD)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
So don't go into the scanner. It has nothing to do with where you were born. But as others have noted, the attitude of the passenger (not the birthplace of the passenger) can contribute to the outcome.

Check FS's master thread for details on which checkpoints at LAX have scanners in use (and realise that they may be primary, but there are times when they are not in use and passengers are switched to the WTMD)
Ok Thank You. I am just asking since even if I speak english there are sometimes words that I do not understand.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by tanja
Ok Thank You. I am just asking since even if I speak english there are sometimes words that I do not understand.
You probably speak better English better than many TSOs I've encountered (SFO comes to mind...)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
You probably speak better English better than many TSOs I've encountered (SFO comes to mind...)
Yes I agree on that. Still I just dont want to be in the wrong lane at LAX. Cause if I end up in a scanner by mistake . Guess what! I will turn around and walk out. I had enough x rays in my life. Plus there is no way I will do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.