Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by n4zhg
I wonder if going through the Nude-O-Scope with a RADsticker would show anything? Certainly would be an eye-opener if it did.
Nice idea, but:
RADSticker will nt be affected by a normal exposure to diagnostic X-ray (e.g., chest or dental) or security X-ray machines.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Nice idea, but:
Obtaining a test badge ..... maybe?

Last edited by DrLeeCRogers; Dec 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm Reason: ......
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Nice idea, but:
That's kinda the point. If the badge registers radiation than it's not a standard security X-ray machine, now is it?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by n4zhg
That's kinda the point. If the badge registers radiation than it's not a standard security X-ray machine, now is it?
Well, nw ... I would expect that the machine presented by the TSA is a standard X-ray machine of some kind (I know that's a stretch). My main concern (discounting the nude aspect for the moment) is that I'd rather not have exposure to any more X-rays than I already am. If this device is not designed to register X-rays then it's not going to be much good -- again, assuming that the machine is designed to deliver what the TSA says it is.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I had a similar but somewhat worse experience at FLL Terminal 1 (C gates) yesterday around 3 pm.

What a fiasco. FLL is truly a hateful airport. Even when people are trying to be nice, they aren't.

Bruce
Totally agree. I will not visit Fort Lauderdale this year, for the first time in many years. Fort Lauderdale Dept. of Tourism: ARE YOU LISTENING? Is the State of Florida listening? Less tourists, less revenue.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:15 am
Suspended

Well, nw ... I would expect that the machine presented by the TSA is a standard X-ray machine of some kind (I know that's a stretch). My main concern (discounting the nude aspect for the moment) is that I'd rather not have exposure to any more X-rays than I already am. If this device is not designed to register X-rays then it's not going to be much good -- again, assuming that the machine is designed to deliver what the TSA says it is.
I go by the instructions that say if you run the RADsticker through luggage X-ray a certain number of times it will register.

Originally Posted by VonS
Totally agree. I will not visit Fort Lauderdale this year, for the first time in many years. Fort Lauderdale Dept. of Tourism: ARE YOU LISTENING? Is the State of Florida listening? Less tourists, less revenue.
No worries. They'll just implement a state income tax to make up the difference.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 6:31 am

Y’know.. I’m an engineer at a company that makes microwave equipment (level radars for oil/gas storage). I would loooove the opportunity to have a TSA officer talk back to me on radiation!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Undoubtedly, they would say that there are secret things that you don't know -- and aren't allowed to know -- about their equipment. (And these supposed "secrets" are shared among 50,000 of the most incompetent people in the United States? Yeah, OK.)

Bruce
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Y’know.. I’m an engineer at a company that makes microwave equipment (level radars for oil/gas storage). I would loooove the opportunity to have a TSA officer talk back to me on radiation!
Trust me, after several conversations with TSA employees, I just don't speak to them at all. The collective TSA knowledge of engineering, material science, chemistry, physics, etc is zero.

They're just carnies. "Check out our snake oil!"

Last edited by Spiff; Sep 22, 2010 at 9:34 am Reason: Thanks, DevilDog438
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
Trust me, after several conversations with TSA employees, I just speak to them at all. The collective TSA knowledge of engineering, material science, chemistry, physics, etc is zero.

They're just carnies. "Check out our snake oil!"
You speak to TSA now? I think you are missing a couple of words or a contraction in that sentence.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
You speak to TSA now? I think you are missing a couple of words or a contraction in that sentence.
Contraction added!

Missing words intentionally omitted due to profanity sensor.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: Former: UA Premier Exec, HH-Silver, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Opted out at CMH this morning. Post ID check they formed 2 lines, and alternated WTMD/backscatter as you came up. I was chosen for the nude-o-scope and declined. Agent had me stand next to the WTMD while he called for a male assist/opt out. I think I stood there for about 5-6 minutes until an agent let me through the wheelchair 'door'. No WTMD for me either i guess. I was told to identify my belongings on the belt, and was asked to wait while they collected them. Received pat-down, agent announced that he was going to use the back of his hand when he got to 'sensitive areas'. Free to go after that.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by AaronFM
Opted out at CMH this morning. Post ID check they formed 2 lines, and alternated WTMD/backscatter as you came up. I was chosen for the nude-o-scope and declined. Agent had me stand next to the WTMD while he called for a male assist/opt out. I think I stood there for about 5-6 minutes until an agent let me through the wheelchair 'door'. No WTMD for me either i guess. I was told to identify my belongings on the belt, and was asked to wait while they collected them. Received pat-down, agent announced that he was going to use the back of his hand when he got to 'sensitive areas'. Free to go after that.
do you feel safer now?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:02 pm

Bad news

Opting out of the scanner inflicts punitive measures on the traveler. I speak from experience.

September 11, 2010, I flew out of Atlanta's airport and ended up in the "random pick" line for the backscatter x-ray. I told the already-scowling TSA attendant that - due to personal and religious beliefs - I wanted to opt out of the backscatter scanner.

She rolled her eyes and told me to step around the machine. In a strident voice, she then screeched (and I mean SCREECHED), "I need a female attendant for a pat down!"

This was my first time dealing with this new technology, but I'd decided months ago that I was NOT going to be microwaved on "medium defrost" *and* have my 51-year-old body ogled by a TSA employee.

So the angry TSA attendant parked me next to the scanner, and I kept looking at the scanning device and wondering (and hoping) that the Plexiglas shroud blocked all the radiation generated by the machine. What a perfect punishment for someone who fears being exposed to whatever health risks: Park them NEXT to the machine so that they get mega-doses.

Meanwhile, my personal belongings hit the end of the conveyor belt, having survived their trip through the x-ray (or whatever it is). But parked in my spot beside the scanner, I could barely see the gray bins containing my brand-new Toshiba laptop, my small leather wallet, my cell phone and my keys.

I literally pleaded with the TSA attendant to allow me to retrieve my personal possessions and she refused. I was traveling alone (as I often do). I then pleaded with her to allow me to at least be in the line of sight of my wallet and cell phone and she again ordered me - again in a loud voice - to remain still. She was demanding, harsh and unyielding.

I kept thinking to myself, "this is what happens when you opt out. You lose your wallet and your laptop. Very, very effective."

I watched the hordes of travelers moving through the "traffic lanes" of the security line, retrieving their personal items and realizing, anyone one of them could easily lift and pocket my things and no one would be the wiser. I was about sick with fear. There were no TSA agents near my belongings. No one watching out for them. All my things just sat at the end of that conveyor belt, about 20-25 feet away from me.

The minutes ticked by. I kept edging over a little more and a little more until I could at least SEE my personal things. The angry TSA agnet would periodically screech, "I need a female attendant for a pat down."

Each time she screeched, I watched dozens of heads turn in the long line, eyeballing the crazy woman who'd been removed from the regular line and set aside. I served as an excellent example. No one else dared opt-out of the scanner.

Dozens of passengers went by as I stood there, moving so close that they literally brushed past me. They'd look sideways at me - some with pity and some with a "what-the-heck-did-you-do" glare. I was forced to remain immediately next to this TSA person. It was truly awful.

I was treated like a criminal and it was a very upsetting experience. Finally, after a 30-minute wait, a female appeared and moved me several feet away to another area. Now, I was closer to my things and could at least keep an eye on them.

Despite this, I was still in plain view, within five or six feet of the main traffic lanes. The attendant started patting me down. She used her palms and fingers, and stroked and touched every piece and part of my body.

Again - it was hugely humiliating - as she rubbed her hands over my groin, my inner thighs, my breasts, etc - right in full view of the traveling public.

Next, she ran a circular pad all over my clothes and then put it in the sniffer. This is where I nearly threw up with fear. You see, I'd worn these jeans last time that I went to the target range to practice shooting my Smith and Wesson .38. Had I washed these jeans since then? I couldn't remember. I knew the gunpowder residue from firing my .38 revolver would show up on that sniffer.

It was terrifying. I was nauseous and started to feel light-headed and faint.

Finally - 45 minutes later, it was over.

The entire affair was very punitive, and humiliating and time consuming and emotionally distressing. When I retrieved my things, I walked into the women's restroom and wept.

Make no mistake - this was intended to be misery. I opted out. I'm a rebel, and according to the TSA's behavior, I must be punished.

It worked. My flying days are over.

Rosemary in Norfolk
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
RosemaryT: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Please be sure to tell your story both to the ACLU (link in my signature) & to EPIC and also forward a copy to the airline(s) you normally fly.

Nobody in America should ever be subjected to such a humiliating experience.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Sep 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.