Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spence1097

Interestingly enough my gate was C12 next to security, and my flight was delayed for a couple hours....after my dinner I sat watching security for almost 2 hours counting opt outs, roughly 4/10 would opt out during this time period at this checkpoint. Obviously I'm not a statistician, scientist or anything, this was just my personal estimate, but I just thought it was interesting to see how many people actually didn't want anything to do with the machine. So in passing I learned my lesson, if you opt out remember don't walk through the machine.
60% allowed themselves to be subject to the NoS - you have to figure that about 50% of them didn't have a clue as to what was happening. I wonder how many of them would opt out if they actually knew.

Obviously, the TSA is blowing smoke about the "acceptance" rate of WBI.

I don't think I'd walk through the machine either - I wouldn't trust it or the TSA.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by doober
I don't think I'd walk through the machine either - I wouldn't trust it or the TSA.
The way the TSA is setting them up, you may have no choice. There is no way to walk around them at the newer installations - WTMD or strip-search, you MUST walk through one or the other.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The way the TSA is setting them up, you may have no choice. There is no way to walk around them at the newer installations - WTMD or strip-search, you MUST walk through one or the other.
We're not talking about avoiding the WTMD. Opting out means not going through the body scanner, period. If the setup means that is impossible, just stand there and wait for them to figure something out. It may be a long wait though .
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: *Alliance
Went thru IAH on Monday. Nude-O-Scope in operation right next to the regular machine. One line led to both. I looked for the opt out sign and couldn't see one. Told the woman monitoring the line that I wanted to opt out. She had no idea what I was talking about. Repeated that I would not go through the scanner. She told me to put my things on the belt by the nude-o-scope and then ignore the guy directing people to the nude-o-scope and simply walk thru the the magnetic one. And that is what I did - thru and on the other side in seconds. Only problem was my things were coming out next to the nude-o-scope out of my sight. I simply walked past the people getting pat downs and retrieved my stuff. A traveling companion was keeping watch over them.

As I was leaving I stopped and told the supervisors that I had not seen the opt out sign and that I had been looking carefully for it. He assured me that it was there. Went to check and came back. Offered to show it to me but I had to catch a connection and demurred.

So - it was easy to opt out primarily because the agent didn't know what I meant and the agent doing the screening wasn't watching where I was going (around him rather than by him). Didn't get a secondary pat down. From a TSA stand point it was pretty loose. From my standpoint it was great to get thru so quickly.

BTW the line trying to get thru the nude-o-scope was incredibly long and -everyone- going thru it was being stopped for the secondary pat down. Lots of grousing as people were worried about connecting flights. On the plane the person next to me said it took 45 mins to get thru this "in transit" check point.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Critic
This might be a stupid question, but after reading thread after thread about the NoS, I haven't seen it mentioned...

Like many travelers, I wear prescription eyeglasses. By definition, these are a medical device - I'm near-blind without them - and therefore cannot be separated from them. I keep them on when I go through the WTMD, and they've never alarmed.

Given that the TSA is demanding shoes, belts and pocket contents go through on the x-ray belt if you're being herded through the NoS, what's the policy on eyeglasses? Since removing my eyeglasses, even for a short period of time, would interfere with my ability to comply with TSA 'procedure' & prohibit line-of-sight with my belongings, I would think this would be cause for an instant opt-out. Does anyone have any experience with this?
no worries as your glasses stay on whether you go thru the wtmd or opt out (and you should opt out but i digress )
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:09 am

re "it is for your safety."

I would have to laugh and tell him that that is not what my colleagues with top level clearances and intimate knowledge of the processes tell me ... even they are offended by the crap that we all have to go through and admit that it is largely a charade.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:39 am

This might be a stupid question, but after reading thread after thread about the NoS, I haven't seen it mentioned...

Like many travelers, I wear prescription eyeglasses. By definition, these are a medical device - I'm near-blind without them - and therefore cannot be separated from them. I keep them on when I go through the WTMD, and they've never alarmed.

Given that the TSA is demanding shoes, belts and pocket contents go through on the x-ray belt if you're being herded through the NoS, what's the policy on eyeglasses? Since removing my eyeglasses, even for a short period of time, would interfere with my ability to comply with TSA 'procedure' & prohibit line-of-sight with my belongings, I would think this would be cause for an instant opt-out. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I'm in the same situation. I'm just planning to opt-out if the situation arises. The only worry i have is in the UK, which I plan to go to next year some time, just need to make sure we don't fly out of somewhere with a mandatory NoS.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fendertweed
re "it is for your safety."

I would have to laugh and tell him that that is not what my colleagues with top level clearances and intimate knowledge of the processes tell me ... even they are offended by the crap that we all have to go through and admit that it is largely a charade.
Are you speaking to the TSA frontliners? They won't care.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:51 am

Inform everyone

My favorite thing to do is to strike up a conversation with those around me to inform them that they don't have to go through the nude-o-scope. I love looking at the Smurfs when they are suddenly faced with the fact that everyone is going to opt out. In TPA the other day, they actually stopped herding people toward the nude-o-scope when I was in line.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
Are you speaking to the TSA frontliners? They won't care.
do you mean who are my colleagues? No, they laugh at TSA/ hate them... they (my colleagues) are REAL federal LE officers. As for TSA, I'm sure they won't care... ignorance and arrogance seem to be part of the kool-aid mix at orientation.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by goalie
no worries as your glasses stay on whether you go thru the wtmd or opt out (and you should opt out but i digress )
I get that - and obviously I have no plans of taking my glasses off - but I'm just curious what the 'official' TSA position would be. Are metal eyeglasses (or any non-removable medical device) a 'get-out-of-NoS-free' card?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I get that - and obviously I have no plans of taking my glasses off - but I'm just curious what the 'official' TSA position would be. Are metal eyeglasses (or any non-removable medical device) a 'get-out-of-NoS-free' card?
Just remember, the 'official' TSA position is whatever the TSO standing in front of you says it is. Doesn't matter what's on the website or what other airports do or even what another TSO at the same checkpoint is currently doing with other pax.

And it certainly doesn't matter whether or not the 'position du jour' makes any sense.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:13 pm

Does anyone have any experiences with Non-US NoS? I know there's one at AMS.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:26 pm

I would suggest you post your Q on the tsa's blog itself and see what BB has to say.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neko
Don't email a complaint. Write a hard-copy letter saying that you were forced to use the WBI, even though you repeatedly stated that you were exercising your right to opt out. Keep it short, don't bother about the wallet and stuff; not allowing a passenger to opt out is a clear violation of TSA stated policy. It's good if you have names, otherwise date and time.

Send it (certified) to the manager and security director at the RIC, copy to TSA in DC and to your congresspersons.

It's more of a hassle than just emailing (duh, that's why we invented email ), but it only costs a couple of dollars and creates a formal paper trail for your complaint.
Thanks; advice taken. And thanks for pre-supplying the FSD info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.