Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ThruVision Launches New Body Scanner at UK Air Show 22 July 2010

Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper

Maybe the TSA should take a look at this scanner. It seems to get rid of the two major problems that everybody has with the existing WBIs, namely:

- privacy issues

- radiation issues

ThruVision Systems has launched the TS4, a new compact security body scanner, at the Farnborough International Air Show in Hampshire, UK.

The system uses passive security imaging technology to detect explosives, liquids, narcotics, weapons, plastics and ceramics hidden under clothing without emitting harmful rays.

It can produce images of metallic and non-metallic threat objects concealed on still or moving subjects, without revealing body details, according to the company.

ThruVision says the system also features an increased frame rate, improved image definition, a larger field of view and greater usability.

The scanner is designed for use in checkpoint and stand-off screening applications and has been trialled in a major European airport.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:52 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA does not make or admit to mistakes, Comrade!

Either we make product we spent millions on without testing or we declare technology useless!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff

Either we make product we spent millions on without testing or we declare technology useless!
Is Chertoffs hands in ThruVision's pockets?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is Chertoffs hands in ThruVision's pockets?
Nyet, Comrade! State rewards its former actors. State has no Party officials on ThruVision payroll. They are imperialist dogs.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
TruVision have a nice web site. Be the first on your block to own a T5000. Oops, too late, the US Air Force bought some last week. Didn't they get a "Buy American" memo after that little Euro tanker mess?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:31 pm

Some of us would rather see these type of thermal scanners. As stated here, no radiation or privacy issues. They are smaller and more could actually be deployed than the bulky Backscatter and Millimeter Wave scanners.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WhyNotKnow
Some of us would rather see these type of thermal scanners. As stated here, no radiation or privacy issues. They are smaller and more could actually be deployed than the bulky Backscatter and Millimeter Wave scanners.
But the kickbacks, sorry bungs, oh sorry consultants fees would go to (gasp) foreigners.

Mikey's been duped by the manufacturers, and the DHS has been duped by Mikey. Clearly we have got the best possible machines for the job as a result.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
INteresting article on Thruvision.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20110...-body-scanners

I guess the US wont be getting it any time soon..as it seems safe for the people.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by snod08
INteresting article on Thruvision.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20110...-body-scanners

I guess the US wont be getting it any time soon..as it seems safe for the people.
The TSA has already experimented with passive MMW technology. It's no more effective than the useless machines they already have. Plus, there's no money in it, with no lobbyist having DHS connections to shill it.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
ThruVision Looks Good But.......

I really hope that it is tried at an airport in the U.S. It seems to have a lot going for it, no radiation, no graphic nude image, cheaper than those in use, and it can be used with people in motion.
Nah, it just too sensible for use in the U.S.! But I'm going to track it.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k
With the specs of the T8000 having a min/max scan time of 3 to 30 seconds, then having the TSA use it, doubt they could hack it.

But being a passive system relying on body heat, like the idea.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff

How about elimination all bodyscanners out of airports immediately? Get rid of it now!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by bajajoes
I really hope that it is tried at an airport in the U.S. It seems to have a lot going for it, no radiation, no graphic nude image, cheaper than those in use, and it can be used with people in motion.
Nah, it just too sensible for use in the U.S.! But I'm going to track it.
I don't get why they don't have stick figure rendering. they don't need to shown any body details for pete's sake, if they only care about what isn't your body.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
If this works in the way claimed, I think it would be a great solution for US airports. It essentially eliminates the biggest complaints about the scanners (other than time to go through them) and could have further applications.

For example, if the technology could be scaled down, this (unlike the NOS) seems like it could be a replacement for the HHMD, only instead of beeping when it senses metal, it would beep when it no longer senses body heat (I'm no engineer, but theoretically this sounds possible).

I imagine you could use these more passively as well (in airports and elsewhere) to see if people are carrying anything they shouldn't be without irradiating them or getting nude images.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD
If this works in the way claimed, I think it would be a great solution for US airports. It essentially eliminates the biggest complaints about the scanners (other than time to go through them) and could have further applications.

For example, if the technology could be scaled down, this (unlike the NOS) seems like it could be a replacement for the HHMD, only instead of beeping when it senses metal, it would beep when it no longer senses body heat (I'm no engineer, but theoretically this sounds possible).

I imagine you could use these more passively as well (in airports and elsewhere) to see if people are carrying anything they shouldn't be without irradiating them or getting nude images.
It would be nice, but the TSA has already spent the wad on the useless Nude-O-Scopes. They're testing a few similar devices outside checkpoints but they've already made up their minds that Nude-O-Scopes are the way to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.