Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Airline Crew members can bring liquids through security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Crew members can bring liquids through security?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by goalie
emphasis mine: in theory and according to policy, right? reality on the other hand......
Seriously, in reality, it's true. In fact, when traveling on business, I've had the SSSS treatment each time. When traveling on personal business, I've had to give up my water, I still take off my shoes, I still take off my jacket, etc. I'm no different than you when traveling. You're probably better off since you have frequent flyer status. Typically, I have it rougher because the staff will find it funny to be more thorough on me. I might as well be SSSS regardless.
Now if it's different at other airports, I'd like to see the regs on that.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSASuper
Seriously, in reality, it's true. In fact, when traveling on business, I've had the SSSS treatment each time. When traveling on personal business, I've had to give up my water, I still take off my shoes, I still take off my jacket, etc. I'm no different than you when traveling. You're probably better off since you have frequent flyer status. Typically, I have it rougher because the staff will find it funny to be more thorough on me. I might as well be SSSS regardless.
Now if it's different at other airports, I'd like to see the regs on that.
interesting and also glad to hear it but a couple of questions for you.....

when you show i/d do you show your d/l (or pp if applicable) or your tsa i/d to enter the "secure" area?

if you are traveling on business, then aren't you considered working and thus exempt?

now-why if you knew, would you bring a bottle of water thru? <ducking> )
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The biggest issue I have with the exemptions is the fact that an airline employee who is traveling simply on personal terms can arrive at the checkpoint in full uniform, get a liquids pass and then change clothes at the first restroom. There's no way to verify that they are on duty at the time they present themselves at the checkpoint. I thought the airline crews were more honest until I saw it first hand at my airport. I'm sure it's a common practice.
Not only is it very common practice, I even--cough, cough--heard of a flight attendant who was off duty, but in uniform, flying with her significant other. She put his otherwise impermissible toiletry kit (excessive liquids) in her bag, went through "security", changed into her civilian clothes in the bathroom once past security and handed the toiletry kit back to her S.O.

He was very happy he didn't have to check a bag...
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
interesting and also glad to hear it but a couple of questions for you.....

when you show i/d do you show your d/l (or pp if applicable) or your tsa i/d to enter the "secure" area?

if you are traveling on business, then aren't you considered working and thus exempt?

now-why if you knew, would you bring a bottle of water thru? <ducking> )
When I travel (business or personal) I show my DL. I know my TSA ID isn't worth anything when traveling.
When traveling on business, we are considered working, but since we are not actively working the checkpoint, we are not exempt from the 3-1-1.
And yes, I forgot an old partially filled water bottle from a previous trip. I felt like an idiot that day. I have a higher understanding of forgetfullness now. I still think my wife planted it as a prank since I put scissors in her purse about 5 years ago.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
When I travel (business or personal) I show my DL. I know my TSA ID isn't worth anything when traveling.
When traveling on business, we are considered working, but since we are not actively working the checkpoint, we are not exempt from the 3-1-1.
And yes, I forgot an old partially filled water bottle from a previous trip. I felt like an idiot that day. I have a higher understanding of forgetfullness now. I still think my wife planted it as a prank since I put scissors in her purse about 5 years ago.
but was it at your home airport? if yes, "then you deserve it" but you are forgiven if in someone else's house (and btw, i like your wife's sense of humor )
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Airline employees are subject to FBI background checks upon hiring and have security clearance. They can have their water.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Airline employees are subject to FBI background checks upon hiring and have security clearance. They can have their water.
Be careful with that. Quite a number of us here have security clearances (well above what airline employees get), SIDA clearances, and other background checks that go well beyond what are done for the airlines. Some are even pilots.

By your logic, we ought to have our water, too.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Be careful with that. Quite a number of us here have security clearances (well above what airline employees get), SIDA clearances, and other background checks that go well beyond what are done for the airlines. Some are even pilots.

By your logic, we ought to have our water, too.
Sounds to me like you might not be entirely "filled in" on what types of security clearance most airline employees have. SIDA clearance is precisely what airline employees have, which is a federal clearance. Also, you talk about pilots as if they have a greater clearance than others. Pilots are classified as flight crew, in other words no different than a flight attendant. As such, actually have lower airport clearance than people such as ramp agents (who are allowed to drive on the air field), and MX.

For what it's worth, I'm a private pilot. It's not a major achievement.

Last edited by num1bearsfan; Dec 31, 2008 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Sounds to me like you might not be entirely "filled in" on what types of security clearance most airline employees have. SIDA clearance is precisely what airline employees have, which is a federal clearance. Also, you talk about pilots as if they have a greater clearance than others. Pilots are classified as flight crew, in other words no different than a flight attendant. As such, actually have lower airport clearance than people such as ramp agents (who are allowed to drive on the air field), and MX.

For what it's worth, I'm a private pilot. It's not a major achievement.
Hmmm... I'll bite.

I do know what clearances folks have. Some of us here hold TS and above (SCI, etc) or the equivalent (Q). Some have the standard SIDA clearances in addition to TS or above. Some have been through a variety of other clearances.

While I, too, have a commercial pilot ticket (the FAA and security authorities run those names through databases periodically), I also hold a clearance to fly into the DC3 airports (inside the FRZ around Washington).

If you add in a variety of other background checks (for LE or military purposes), there are folks here that have been investigated far more than flight crews.

To suggest that the mere presence of a flight crew clearance is sufficient criteria to "earn" the right to carry water through a checkpoint would also suggest that a huge number folks having the same or greater background investigations should also have that ability.

Not that we should have the war on water at all, but suggesting that a clearance is the criteria that makes some animals more equal than others still leaves many out in the cold.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:04 pm

To suggest that the mere presence of a flight crew clearance is sufficient criteria to "earn" the right to carry water through a checkpoint would also suggest that a huge number folks having the same or greater background investigations should also have that ability.

Not that we should have the war on water at all, but suggesting that a clearance is the criteria that makes some animals more equal than others still leaves many out in the cold.
Let's not stray too far from the point. The venue is an airport, and we're talking about airport personnel. That's what differentiates them from people with other types of clearance. To me it's pretty straight forward. I wouldn't expect a movie ticket to grant me admission into a baseball game.

And I WOULD expect SIDA clearance to be sufficient criteria to "earn" the right to carry a drink through a check point. Think about what you're talking about. This is the place of employment for these people. They have to come into the airport every day to go to work. They should not allow employees to pack a can of pop with their lunch, or to have their coffee in the morning? Imagine having to jump through all of these "airport security type hoops" just to go to your office every day. And what's more, they've all been cleared by FBI background checks. So to ask why they get to have their water bottle and you don't (by "you" I mean average joe flyer with no clearance), I think that's a pretty dumb question.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:24 pm

Think about what you're talking about. This is the place of employment for these people. They have to come into the airport every day to go to work. They should not allow employees to pack a can of pop with their lunch, or to have their coffee in the morning? Imagine having to jump through all of these "airport security type hoops" just to go to your office every day.
Sorry, but that doesn't cut it. Most of the time that I fly, I fly because my employer requires me to do so. So, when I go to the airport, I am going to work. If I have to buy my food and beverages inside of security when I go to work, why shouldn't everyone else?

And what's more, they've all been cleared by FBI background checks. So to ask why they get to have their water bottle and you don't (by "you" I mean average joe flyer with no clearance), I think that's a pretty dumb question.
If this was really the case, then there wouldn't be any need to screen for dangerous articles at checkpoints at all. All you'd have to do is subject people to background checks. Or, create a separate line for people who have background checks already performed. But that's obviously preposterous, because background checks only look backward into what you've already done, not forward into what you're likely to do.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:22 am

Think about what you're talking about. This is the place of employment for these people. They have to come into the airport every day to go to work. They should not allow employees to pack a can of pop with their lunch, or to have their coffee in the morning? Imagine having to jump through all of these "airport security type hoops" just to go to your office every day.
People who work at airports in the rest of the world seem to deal with these restrictions just fine...
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:57 am

Let's not stray too far from the point. The venue is an airport, and we're talking about airport personnel. That's what differentiates them from people with other types of clearance. To me it's pretty straight forward. I wouldn't expect a movie ticket to grant me admission into a baseball game.

And I WOULD expect SIDA clearance to be sufficient criteria to "earn" the right to carry a drink through a check point. Think about what you're talking about. This is the place of employment for these people. They have to come into the airport every day to go to work. They should not allow employees to pack a can of pop with their lunch, or to have their coffee in the morning? Imagine having to jump through all of these "airport security type hoops" just to go to your office every day. And what's more, they've all been cleared by FBI background checks. So to ask why they get to have their water bottle and you don't (by "you" I mean average joe flyer with no clearance), I think that's a pretty dumb question.
And what of those of us that have not only FBI background checks but full clearances?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:57 pm

And what of those of us that have not only FBI background checks but full clearances?
If you have an airport badge, then yes, you should get to keep your water.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Hum, seems like a very leaky system...
It always has been. You just said that for the pun, didn't you?

So to ask why they get to have their water bottle and you don't (by "you" I mean average joe flyer with no clearance), I think that's a pretty dumb question.
I think it's pretty dumb to think it's reasoanble to take anyone's water bottle.

If you have an airport badge, then yes, you should get to keep your water.
Of course you say that. You're an airline employee and you don't want to deal with the hassle. That's understandable. What's not understandable is that you think it's OK that the rest of us have to deal with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.