Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Goggle searches for Robert F Dilley are now zeroing in on this thread. This is hit #5 today:

There's nothing wrong with Officer Robert F. Dilley's memory. He's just a liar, plain and simple. And he tried to use his lies maliciously ...
Keep mentioning full names & use "officer" occasionally.

Very interesting that there were 7 lawsuits against Officer Robert F Dilley. That's an incredibly high number. At that rate a 100-officer department would be fielding ~25 lawsuits a year & nobody would insure them.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Very interesting that there were 7 lawsuits against [the officer]
Until Ari cites his source, that's hearsay.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Slide101
Not sure if this contributes anything but I did find this on Dilley from the first quarter of 2005 in the New Mexico District Court - Litigation Department:

Robert F. Dilley and James F. Vautier v. City of Albuquerque and John Doe Insurance Company. Complaint was Breach of Contract and Statutory Duty and Declaratory Relief.
Yeah, but Dilley (we don't know if it's the same one) was the plaintiff in that case!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
But people are accused of things they didn't do all the time.

Fair enough. All the lawsuits were filed in the United States District Court for New Mexico; the case numbers and case titles are below-- Dilley is a named defendant in each case:

93-CV-01195 Blackhurst v. Albuquerque, City of, et al
94-CV-01016 Cadena v. Albuquerque, City of, et al
94-CV-01279 Taylor, et al v. Vincent, et al
95-CV-00297 Clark v. Montano, et al
95-CV-00984 Padilla, et al v. Dilley, et al
01-CV-00651 Mondragon, et al v. New Mexico, State of, et al

I can't find the 7th case for some reason . . .
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
How bout some charitable reciprocity here? Federal court documents don't quite rise (lower?) to the level of hearsay. A simple PACER or Lex-Nex search should clear up any doubt. (If you don't have a PACER account that's simple enough to fix; if no, Lex-Nex access at work then perhaps you can get remote access via your former university or municipal library.)

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Yeah, but Dilley (we don't know if it's the same one) was the plaintiff in that case!
I'll bet it is: LINK.

For those unable/unwilling to open an unknown doc file, here are the relevant bits:

LEGAL DEPARTMENT QUARTERLY LITIGATION REPORT
January 1, 2006 to March 31, 2006

Case Name: Robert F. Dilley, et al. v. COA, et al.

Type of Suit: Personal Injury

Division/Attorney: Litigation/Michael Garcia

Synopsis of Case: APD employees sued for injuries from car wreck caused by perp despite workers comp claims

Disposition: Dismissed on Motions

Amount Paid by City: --$0--

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:27 pm

Can I get an unemoticon? Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by essxjay
Until Ari cites his source [of claims that Officer Dilley has been the defendant in multiple federal civil rights lawsuits, each settled out-of-court], that's hearsay.
How bout some charitable reciprocity here?
Web forum text doesn't clearly convey the lack of emotion in my comment. I meant no offense, and made no claim about Ari's credibility. On the contrary, in recent meatspace conversation, I mentioned unsubstantiated rumors that "came from a source who is, in my limited experience with him, seemingly credible."

Thanks for doing that research, Ari, and for pointing any interested parties in the direction of the relevant lawsuits.

It's unfortunate that such legal information is siloed away, outside the public Web. I'll check into RECAP ("Turning PACER around" via Firefox plugin) soon.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:47 pm
Original Member

Web forum text doesn't clearly convey the lack of emotion in my comment. I meant no offense, and made no claim about Ari's credibility. On the contrary, in recent meatspace conversation, I mentioned unsubstantiated rumors that "came from a source who is, in my limited experience with him, seemingly credible."
Gotcha. Please accept my apology for failing to extend sufficient charitable intent to your comment.

Thanks for doing that research, Ari, and for pointing any interested parties in the direction of the relevant lawsuits.
I think the lion's share of active posters to this thread are behind you, Phil, even the semi skeptical. Trying to help you in whatever small way we can gives us constructive outlet for our outrage so in a sense is somewhat therapeutic. At least, that's how I view my contributions here. Other Flyertalkers May Feel Different™.

It's unfortunate that such legal information is siloed away, outside the public Web. I'll check into RECAP ("Turning PACER around" via Firefox plugin) soon.
Didn't know about that tool so thanks for the reference. ^ If I could lend you my Lex-Nex access, Phil, I most surely would. Let's see if we can't figure something out.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I guess it's no longer hearsay, (or perhaps only 14% hearsay ):

Originally Posted by Ari
Fair enough. All the lawsuits were filed in the United States District Court for New Mexico; the case numbers and case titles are below-- Dilley is a named defendant in each case:

93-CV-01195 Blackhurst v. Albuquerque, City of, et al
94-CV-01016 Cadena v. Albuquerque, City of, et al
94-CV-01279 Taylor, et al v. Vincent, et al
95-CV-00297 Clark v. Montano, et al
95-CV-00984 Padilla, et al v. Dilley, et al
01-CV-00651 Mondragon, et al v. New Mexico, State of, et al

I can't find the 7th case for some reason . . .
And this raises another question:

Originally Posted by essxjay
... I'll bet it is: LINK.

For those unable/unwilling to open an unknown doc file, here are the relevant bits:
LEGAL DEPARTMENT QUARTERLY LITIGATION REPORT
January 1, 2006 to March 31, 2006

Case Name: Robert F. Dilley, et al. v. COA, et al.

Type of Suit: Personal Injury

Division/Attorney: Litigation/Michael Garcia

Synopsis of Case: APD employees sued for injuries from car wreck caused by perp despite workers comp claims

Disposition: Dismissed on Motions

Amount Paid by City: --$0--
Normally you cannot sue your employer for injuries covered by workers comp. Was Robert F. Dilley trying to scam/shake additional money out of the city?

Last edited by MikeMpls; Feb 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:23 pm

RECAP is a bit of a nuisance, but it generally works. It's perfect for the sort of thing that's going on here: If one person with a PACER account pays to retrieves relevant documents while using the RECAP plugin, RECAP automagically (well, a bit clumsily, but about as well as can be hoped for) uploads them to the Internet Archive, where they can be linked to and retrieved by anyone.

Otherwise, Federal court documents are $0.08/page through PACER, even though they are public domain.

The San Francisco Public Library has one free PACER terminal in a somewhat obscure downtown branch law library, not the main library. Seattle *might* have a free PACER terminal for library card-holders somewhere.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:39 pm
Original Member

It's unfortunate that such legal information is siloed away, outside the public Web.
Reflecting on your comment further I think I glossed by what you were asking for. You're looking for free alternatives to Lex-Nex and PACER or something else? I remember stumbling on a number of web-based resources while working on a predictive analysis assignment during my last term in school. Here are a few of them:

SCOTUS wiki
Oyez
OpenJurist
Public Library of Law

Googling "alternatives to lexix-nexis" just now I found this page, which looks worth a looksee: Online Legal Research: Beyond LexisNexis & Westlaw.

ETA: I just checked my uni's library page and discovered that for $50/year any member of the public can use those resources, including remote access to online databases e.g. Lex-Nex Academic (plenty for our purposes). Maybe UW or SU offers something similar for less?

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looks like "Blgger Bb" got slapped around, after publishing a b.s. response about Phil's case...

http://washingtontechnology.com/Blog...-comments.aspx
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I do believe a few TS/S regulars have been requoted. To wit:

And a commenter named Bruce added: "The notion that he was trying to film 'sensitive security information' is absurd. The screener testified that Mocek 'might' have picked up a form containing his own information on the videotape. Is that supposed to be secret? Good grief, you should be ashamed of yourself."
As always, don't skip the comments:

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 Reluctant Flyer

Having lived in the law enforcement and security world, I'm sensitive to the necessity of the mission. However, TSA leadership has done nothing to dispel the rumors or facts related to TSA incompetency. Blog propagandists like Bob do nothing to address the massive integrity and perception gaps between TSA and the flying public. Customer service is abysmal and the attitudes are clearly visible on the faces of many TSA agents. You can do better but not with current leadership, philosophy or methodologies.
Let the flogging continue. ^
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
pmocek - Congratulations!! I'm using a snow day to catch up on the 50 pages of the thread I missed; sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm not sure what's more astounding - that someone attempted to delete the images, or that they didn't realize they could be recovered. A failure of our legal system on so many levels, and yet the correct outcome was achieved. ^

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I met Rosa Parks, and interviewed her for my first masters thesis. I am more than aware of what she did. Comparing Mocek to her is offensive
Not all of us are as well-informed as you. maradydd offered what appears to be a factual analysis, showing several parallels between Parks and Mocek. Is her comparison incorrect or just offensive? Will you explain why you are offended by the comparison? I'm not trying to be a troll, I just want to understand how something that seems factually true is offensive.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Uh-oh.

Just one Bruce Schobel!

Bruce
I wouldn't trust that. It says there is only one of me, but I know there are at least two of us, because I have run across her publications.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Normally you cannot sue your employer for injuries covered by workers comp. Was Robert F. Dilley trying to scam/shake additional money out of the city?
I hear stories about law suits like officer Dilley's all the time from other officers and town officials. Typically their injuries were caused by not wearing a seat belt so workers comp won't cover injuries from willfull neglect of the department/insurance rules or state law. Once denied they sue the town. Most towns around here use to cave in quickly not wanting the press or the expensive of the suit.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I hear stories about law suits like officer Dilley's all the time from other officers and town officials. Typically their injuries were caused by not wearing a seat belt so workers comp won't cover injuries from willfull neglect of the department/insurance rules or state law. Once denied they sue the town. Most towns around here use to cave in quickly not wanting the press or the expensive of the suit.
There are cases where WC refuses to pay because the action was not part of the job description. In one case a programmer helped a young lady move her office equipment and dropped a desktop on his foot breaking a few toes. Since moving equipment was not part of his job the company refused to allow the claim. Guess who sued and won?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.