Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Ari

Any federal suit would be verry difficult; state law claims can sometimes be easier to make. One would have to leave the U.S. Constitution out of it and rely only on only the state constitution and/or state law in order to keep it out of federal court.

Would you explain your view a bit more, please?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
From what I can see, the video starts after any discussion with the TSA about "their rules". So I don't see how you can make your conclusion above. Was there any evidence presented at the trial on that point?
If Phil had violated the rules prior to the video starting, wouldn't charges have been filed regarding that?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
If Phil had violated the rules prior to the video starting, wouldn't charges have been filed regarding that?
No, because "rules" can mean two things: "rules" that somebody is required to follow to avoid civil penalties and "rules" that are required to be followed to be able to access the sterile area.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
From what I can see, the video starts after any discussion with the TSA about "their rules". So I don't see how you can make your conclusion above. Was there any evidence presented at the trial on that point?
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking about my conclusion that the video shows shows Mr. Mocek doing nothing contrary to the rules as published or my conclusion that both TSA and the ABQ police were acting as bullies?

If the former, what I saw in the video was Mr. Mocek attempting to record his interaction with the TSA workers. "Blogger Bob" has repeatedly said that this is allowed and the FAQ at the TSA web site explicitly states, "While TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations, TSA may ask a photographer to stop if they are interfering with the screening process or taking photos of X-ray monitor screens in a checkpoint." Mr. Mocek was not attempting to capture images of the monitor screens and I think it would be an extreme stretch to say that he was interfering with the screening process. Despite that the TSA workers repeated told him that recording was prohibited - a clear misrepresentation of TSA's stated policy.

As to ID, while TSA may say that a passenger must present ID in order to fly, they also have a process in place to accomodate passengers who do not have ID. Furthermore, the Gilmore case established that one does not have to present ID to fly provided one is willing to undergo additional screening. Mr. Mocek did not refuse to undergo additional screening. In fact he can be heard on the recording stating that he intended to comply with the TSA regulations, which presumedly would include the additional screening. However; he was never afforded the opportunity.

Thus, from watching the video, I conclude that the video shows no act by Mr. Mocek that is contrary to TSA rules as published (with the possible nit that the ID rule may be in conflict with the law of the land as determined by the 9th Circuit court. In case of a conflict between an administrative agency's rule and the law I assume the law to prevail.) Also, from watching the video, I conclude that the TSA and ABQ police were acting as bullies because they were engaging in behavior that was bullying in nature, i.e. intentionally intimidating him by surrounding him with an large contingent of officials, threatening him with arrest with no probable cause, physically trying to push his camera away, physically grabbing him, etc.

What happened before and after the video is something I cannot speak to. It could well be that Mr. Mocek was behaving as a raving madman and the TSA and police were veritable choir boys before and after the period captured by the recording. If so, one much wonder why they suddenly changed their behavior when the video recorder was going. I think a more reasonable theory is that Mr. Mocek was calm and quiet-spoken before and after the recording, just as he was during it. Similarly, I presume that the TSA workers and ABQ police were officious, overbearing, threatening and bullying before, during and after.

This is probably more answer than you were looking for but I wanted to fully explain my reasoning.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If this wasn't so serious, it would be laughable. Taking photos in a threatening manner. How does that work ?
Making a REALLLLLLY mean-looking face as you press the shutter release button?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:20 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Well, i don't believe I am resident gestapo, as I am about as anti-TSA as they come, and unlike I am guessing every other member of this board I actually affected real change in TSA's inane policies.
As I stated much earlier in this thread my tit-for-tat with Mocek is personal and can't be elaborated on without breaking forum rules.

However, I will post the same questions I posted earlier.

What exactly do any of you think has changed here?
Any TSA polices?...NO
Could Phil head over to the ABQ sunport and fly out doing exactly what he did before?...most likely not, unless the exact same folks decided to let him pass on recog, which is doubtful.

This was a local city/county matter.

I am somewhat pleased the TSA testimony was more inane than I thought it would be, but other than that, this trial went about as most of us expected.

No TSA policy has changed, and I'd hazard a guess most TSOs outside New Mexico haven't been briefed on this case.

We are at status quo.

To affect real TSA change, it requires money, lots of money, and a power base to really use that money to hire the proper lobbyist and PR firm.
I say this as a former registered federal lobbyist and someone who knows a bit about the business.

The Giffords tragedy, NFL playoffs, and weather are all bigger stories than this. Phil Mocek made one TSO look foolish, which I actually commend, my personal issues with him notwithstanding, but other than that we are at status quo.

As for those that actually think the current TSA's inane feckless policies are proper I cannot speak too. They are in a different class of poster.

ciao,
FH
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:25 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
PR firm.
And I hate saying this, but Public Relations and Advertising are the industries that are likely most affected by the tides of politics. You won't find a single reputable PR firm willing to take this on.

Back to the regularly scheduled high fiving of Phil.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Ari
Did any of them [jurors] make any statements to you? Did you solicit any?
As they left the jury room, heading toward the elevator, I approached them, thanked them and told them how wonderful and courageous they were. They did not respond at all, but two or three of them smiled at me.
There was ample testimony on that point. LTSO Breedon made perfectly clear that Phil had not violated any TSA rule at any time (though their view of filming was more nuanced than I'm getting into here). The only issue really considered at the trial was whether Phil had caused a disturbance. There was a great deal of testimony about whether -- and, importantly, when -- Phil had yelled or shouted, and there was quite a debate about how onlooking passengers reacted to the scene before them -- and whether Phil or the TSA/police were the ones creating the disturbance, if any.
Originally Posted by T-the-B
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking about my conclusion that the video shows shows Mr. Mocek doing nothing contrary to the rules as published or my conclusion that both TSA and the ABQ police were acting as bullies?

If the former, what I saw in the video was Mr. Mocek attempting to record his interaction with the TSA workers. "Blogger Bob" has repeatedly said that this is allowed and the FAQ at the TSA web site explicitly states, "While TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations, TSA may ask a photographer to stop if they are interfering with the screening process or taking photos of X-ray monitor screens in a checkpoint." Mr. Mocek was not attempting to capture images of the monitor screens and I think it would be an extreme stretch to say that he was interfering with the screening process. Despite that the TSA workers repeated told him that recording was prohibited - a clear misrepresentation of TSA's stated policy.

As to ID, while TSA may say that a passenger must present ID in order to fly, they also have a process in place to accomodate passengers who do not have ID. Furthermore, the Gilmore case established that one does not have to present ID to fly provided one is willing to undergo additional screening. Mr. Mocek did not refuse to undergo additional screening. In fact he can be heard on the recording stating that he intended to comply with the TSA regulations, which presumedly would include the additional screening. However; he was never afforded the opportunity.

Thus, from watching the video, I conclude that the video shows no act by Mr. Mocek that is contrary to TSA rules as published (with the possible nit that the ID rule may be in conflict with the law of the land as determined by the 9th Circuit court. In case of a conflict between an administrative agency's rule and the law I assume the law to prevail.) Also, from watching the video, I conclude that the TSA and ABQ police were acting as bullies because they were engaging in behavior that was bullying in nature, i.e. intentionally intimidating him by surrounding him with an large contingent of officials, threatening him with arrest with no probable cause, physically trying to push his camera away, physically grabbing him, etc.

What happened before and after the video is something I cannot speak to. It could well be that Mr. Mocek was behaving as a raving madman and the TSA and police were veritable choir boys before and after the period captured by the recording. If so, one much wonder why they suddenly changed their behavior when the video recorder was going. I think a more reasonable theory is that Mr. Mocek was calm and quiet-spoken before and after the recording, just as he was during it. Similarly, I presume that the TSA workers and ABQ police were officious, overbearing, threatening and bullying before, during and after.

This is probably more answer than you were looking for but I wanted to fully explain my reasoning.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but I would reiterate that, in general, the TSA workers were less officious, overbearing, threatening and bullying than the police were.

Bruce

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
This was a local city/county matter.
Agreed.
I am somewhat pleased the TSA testimony was more inane than I thought it would be, but other than that, this trial went about as most of us expected.
Totally disagree. Most of us expected a conviction on at least one count. Acquittal on all four counts was more than I ever expected, and I suspect that many others are in the same boat.

Bruce

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 25, 2011 at 11:55 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Neither, exactly. To my way of looking at it, when talking about the behavior of TSA and police, there are three issues:

(1) How the police behaved when called.
(2) The photography issue.
(3) Whether TSA was appropriate in calling the police.

The former was basically the topic of the trial and was clear from the tape. The second has also been discussed at length.

My point is on #3. Clearly (and from the tape), the TSA called the police over a dispute over ID. But that dispute occurred before the start of the tape. So we don't know the details of that dispute and hence can't judge the appropriateness of that call from the tape alone. My question was whether there was an evidence presented in the trial that would let us make that assessment.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I recall early in the tape what I beleive to be TSA employees are talking to Phil and it appears that one pushes at Phil or his camera. Phil can be heard saying to the effect to not touch him.

I beleive this was a TSA employee at this point.

Was Phil assaulted if contact was in fact made?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Clearly (and from the tape), the TSA called the police over a dispute over ID. But that dispute occurred before the start of the tape. So we don't know the details of that dispute and hence can't judge the appropriateness of that call from the tape alone. My question was whether there was an evidence presented in the trial that would let us make that assessment.
There was lots of testimony on that point. The police were not called because Phil did not provide an ID. LTSO Breedon said, "That happens all the time, many times a day." They absolutely did not call the police for that reason. They called the police after Phil began filming.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
As I recall early in the tape what I believe to be TSA employees are talking to Phil and it appears that one pushes at Phil or his camera. Phil can be heard saying to the effect to not touch him. I believe this was a TSA employee at this point.

That was not just a TSA employee but the most senior one on the scene, a "screening manager," who is above a 3-striper (and generally wears civilian clothing, not a uniform). It is conceivable that the screening manager committed the crime of battery by touching Phil, but the touch was fleeting and did no damage, so prosecution would be extraordinary under the circumstances.

Bruce
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:10 pm

As I recall early in the tape what I beleive to be TSA employees are talking to Phil and it appears that one pushes at Phil or his camera. Phil can be heard saying to the effect to not touch him.

I beleive this was a TSA employee at this point.

They certainly attempted assault, but whether that's chargable...

If I tried to swat something out of a police officer's hands like that, I guarantee that I would end up in jail, charged, prosecuted, and convicted.

If I tried to swat something out of my neighbor's hands like that, I would also guarantee that if the police actually decided to do anything (big if), and if the da's office decided to prosecute the case (another big if), I would not be convicted.

While it showed that Phil was the calm one, and the TSA employee was the belligerent one at that point, that's all there is to it. The fact that he did so while fully knowing that LEO's were on route and close really only goes to point out that he was of the (accurate) opinion that he could get away with no repercussions. A pretty sad state of things, but the state of things nonetheless.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
There was lots of testimony on that point. The police were not called because Phil did not provide an ID. LTSO Breedon said, "That happens all the time, many times a day." They absolutely did not call the police for that reason. They called the police after Phil began filming.That was not just a TSA employee but the most senior one on the scene, a "screening manager," who is above a 3-striper (and generally wears civilian clothing, not a uniform). It is conceivable that the screening manager committed the crime of battery by touching Phil, but the touch was fleeting and did no damage, so prosecution would be extraordinary under the circumstances.

Bruce
Didn't know who the players were but I do understand what a TSM is.

Is damage a condition of battery?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Didn't know who the players were but I do understand what a TSM is.

Is damage a condition of battery?
Nope. If I force medical treatment on a person who refuses, I can be charged with battery. Among other things.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Is there more of the story after page 1 as clicking 'next' brings up a log-in page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.