Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Old Dec 17, 10, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Agreed.

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 10, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
It is wrong. I'm just surprised that you would state something as legal fact without any basis in the law whatsoever.
I misrecalled. As I said, it's not the relevant point.
Old Dec 17, 10, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
I've had to do the same.
I've had to do neither.
Old Dec 17, 10, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Does your medical provider issue an ID card that needs to be presented when you request services?

Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
You can always patronize another pharmacy.
I could do that, too, if I wanted to pay 100% cash for my prescriptions. I'm willing to show my DL so they can match it against my medical ID card to avoid that. I only pay $5 for most of my prescriptions so I would be paying a higher price to go seek a pharmacy outside my medical plan, get zero reimbursement, and no guarantee they're not going to ask for ID when I arrive there anyway.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 18, 10 at 8:12 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 17, 10, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Are you asked to present ID when you use that card?
Never have. But I've been with the same doctor for years. Since we don't have pharmacare, it's not even an issue for prescriptions.
I can undertsand, though, if they're matching Rx's with photo ID's to control some of the narcotics available...particularly oxycontin.

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
That is interesting...I know Ontario cards have a photo. Maybe it's just certain provinces.

Mine was issued in 1998 - it may have even changed here, but I never got a memo
I don't really have a problem with it, as long as it's used to confirm identity. It's a problem if the start recording info.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 18, 10 at 8:13 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 17, 10, 9:59 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Does your medical provider issue an ID card that needs to be presented when you request services?
Mine does, but when I don't use the medical card for services, I am not asked for an ID.

For example, my HI only covers chiropractic care if I am in a vehicle or industrial accident. Otherwise, I am on my own. Since I have a minor back issue that flares up from time to time, I occasionally see my local chiro and pay him cash and have never been asked for an ID. I could be giving him a false name for all he knows.

Likewise, some of my prescriptions have generic costs that are lower than the copay (penicillin was $3.00 cheaper out of pocket than the copay when I had a script for that last year) and I am never asked for an ID when I pay cash for them. I am only asked for ID when I use my medical card.

Since I am paying out of pocket in full, there is no need to present a medical card and, therefore, no reason to ever present my ID.
Old Dec 18, 10, 6:49 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
We were supposed to have 50 choices, but the unchecked expansion of the powers of the federal government make your post a reality.
By that logic, imagine the sub-thread of intra-state air-travel security requirements. We'd have to show ID for DTW-TOL, yet not DTW-FNT.

Does anyone know the segment the OP was attempting to fly (presuming it was PHX-SEA)? If US PHX-TUS, this could get interesting...
Old Dec 18, 10, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
An alternative would be to require doctors' prescriptions to purchase medications containing pseudoephedrine. Tracking purchases is a much lesser burden.
Great idea, except if you are trying to fill said Rx in Louisiana & your MD wrote it more than 6 mos ago. Even if you have refills left on it & the script hasn't expired, they won't fill it.

Ask me how I know this...

You also have to show ID to buy lottery tickets here, though that one seems to be a bit hit & miss.

Just an aside about the doctors asking for ID-while I don't know the rules in Canada, American providers are supposed to do this now as a result of the Red Flag Law (or something like that) to ensure, as another poster stated, the ins card being presented is yours. I can't remember whether this is a CMS, FTC, FCC or heck Dept of Agriculture requirement (sorry, too early in the morning again), but it's out there somewhere & we have to abide by it.
Old Dec 18, 10, 7:23 am

Digging out of the rabbit hole, I'm hoping Phil's case brings up the brute tactics that TSA uses (backed up by LEOs) to force ID when their own policies clearly state that it is not required. The fishy smell needs some sunlight.

IMO, based on the little I've heard, the LEO was NOT conducting an investigation, but was unlawfully enforcing an misinterpretation of the TSA's policy by a rouge clerk*.

* - I'll waive my normal copyright fees if you want to use this in your case.

Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
We were supposed to have 50 choices, but the unchecked expansion of the powers of the federal government make your post a reality.
By that logic, imagine the sub-thread of intra-state air-travel security requirements. We'd have to show ID for DTW-TOL, yet not DTW-FNT.
Got anarchy?

I'm pretty sure sbagdon wasn't advocating for abolishing the entire federal government. His logic about the expansion of powers in the federal government for things the states could/should do (or things that the government doesn't need to control at all) is valid.
Old Dec 18, 10, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ScatterX View Post
Got anarchy?

I'm pretty sure sbagdon wasn't advocating for abolishing the entire federal government. His logic about the expansion of powers in the federal government for things the states could/should do (or things that the government doesn't need to control at all) is valid.
Yea, that pretty much sums it up, thanks. Didn't verbalize it well, and was using too much implying. I'm all for state-rights, with federal input on items relevant to federal issues. Living so close to a state and country border makes for many interesting conversations.
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:05 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
I am sure that you are aware that pseudoephedrine is used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine.

In 2006, Congress enacted legislation restricting purchases of pseudoephedrine by individuals to 3.6 grams a day and 9 grams in a 30 days period.

Most states maintain databases to track purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine and block sales in excess of those limits.
Indiana is particularly nasty because the police aggregate your purchases and show up to arrest you if you exceed the limit even though you have never been warned. There was some case a while back where a grandmother was prosecuted for buying sudafed for her sick multi-child household. Because she made the purchases over several days or weeks at multiple pharmacies, nobody warned her that she was over the limit. The idiot prosecutor justified his actions saying ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It is not people who cannot control themselves. It is the government restricting the availability of a key ingredient in the manufacture of an illegal drug.
And IMO it is as stupid as the TSA banning water. Lots of things that are perfectly safe by themselves are ingredients in nefarious activities.

As far as I'm concerned, they can lock up actual meth cookers/users for life or even sit them in the electric chair. But leave legitimate users of a legitimate medicine alone regardless of the amount they want. I shouldn't be subject to draconian liberty restrictions because of the criminals' inability to control themselves and the government's unwillingness to punish them severely enough to deter their actions.
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Yup. You can always patronize another pharmacy. You can't choose another government. We have only one.

Bruce
sure you can. you can move to Canada or Iran
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by meisterau View Post
sure you can. you can move to Canada or Iran
Not without US permission you can't. I had a really interesting job offer in Iran a few years ago. But the employer would have faced penalties under U.S. law and I could have been charged with violations of OFAC regulations, so I was unable to take the job, thanks to the U.S. government deciding it can tell me where I can work and the employer who they can hire. So the job went to a Canadian instead. I'm sure that really annoyed the Iranians, and taught them that they need to negotiate with the USA or else
Old Dec 18, 10, 10:37 am

Well... let's remember there's a difference between move, immigrate, and naturalize.
Old Dec 19, 10, 11:34 am

It is not people who cannot control themselves. It is the government restricting the availability of a key ingredient in the manufacture of an illegal drug.
It's government apparatichiks keeping me from being able to buy 4 bottles of Dayquil and Nyquil when all four of us in the house have the superflu, that's what it freakin' is.

Heck, I was really sick several years ago just after these new regs went into effect (though I didn't know it at the time), managed to drag my sorry butt into the store for chicken soup and cold meds, of which I had neither, and figured "Well, I'd better stock up, since I'm here." The cashier very apologetically told me she couldn't ring up my cold medicine, I had too much. I told her, "The last time I was this sick, I didn't leave the house for a week. This is a week's worth of cold meds, given the dosing instructions," as I coughed and wheezed and blew my nose (not towards her or any checkout surfaces - I *REALLY* didn't want this to spread, I just had to get what I needed!). She thought about it for a minute, rang up the soup and half of the meds, and then ran the rest of the meds in a separate transaction, saying, "Here you go - I can see that you need this as cold medicine Sorry about that." Didn't ask for ID for either transaction. I've NEVER been carded for cold stuff - so how are they keeping me from getting 3.6 grams of pseudoephedrine per day or 9 per month? Oh, if I use my frequent-shopper card, sure they know who I am and what I'm buying that way - do you really think that John Q. Methmaker scans his Giant card to save $0.49/bottle on 3 bottles at 4 different stores a day 6 times a week? I'll bet he doesn't...

I reiterate: It's government apparatichiks keeping me from being able to buy 4 bottles of Dayquil and Nyquil when all four of us in the house have the superflu, that's what it freakin' is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: