Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Does your attorney think you have a better chance with a jury vis a judge?

Just hope you don't get a jury full of sheeple.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Superguy

Just hope you don't get a jury full of sheeple.
yup-and during jury selection, make sure that your attorney asks the prospective jurors questions like:

do you travel by air and if yes, how often
when was your last flight
how do you feel about airport security

first one that says, "i feel much safer with the tsa" get's "the defendant would like to thank and excuse juror #..." faster than you can say "glove save and a beauty" as ya gots ta weed out them sheeple
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:25 pm

trial date(s), jury, charges

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Arrested 11/16/2009
Jury Trial 06/14/2010

Nice speedy trial
We've requested two continuances. It was originally set for February, then May.

Originally Posted by Superguy
I don't know.

I've been charged of the following four misdemeanors:

Disorderly Conduct 5311, 30-20-1

30-20-1. Disorderly conduct.

Disorderly conduct consists of:

A. engaging in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct which tends to disturb the peace; or

B. maliciously disturbing, threatening or, in an insolent manner, intentionally touching any house occupied by any person.

Whoever commits disorderly conduct is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Concealing Identity 4802, 12-2-16

§ 12-2-16 CONCEALING IDENTITY.

It is unlawful for anyone to conceal one's true name or identity or disguise oneself with the intent to obstruct due execution of the law or with the intent to intimidate, hinder or interrupt any public officer, police officer, or any other person in the legal performance of his or her duties.

('74 Code, § 12-1-2-17) (Ord. 96-1973) Penalty, see § 12-1-99

Resisting/Obstructing/Refusing Ofc 4801, 12-2-19

§ 12-2-19 RESISTING, OBSTRUCTING OR REFUSING TO OBEY AN OFFICER.

Resisting, obstructing or refusing to obey an officer consists of either:

(A) Knowingly obstructing, resisting or opposing any officer of this state or any other duly authorized person serving or attempting to serve or execute any process or any rule or order of any of the courts of this state or any other judicial writ or process; or

(B) Resisting or abusing any judge, magistrate or peace officer in the lawful discharge of his duties; or

(C) Refusing to obey or comply with any lawful process or order given by any police officer acting in the lawful discharge of his duties; or

(D) Interfering with, obstructing or opposing any officer in the lawful discharge of his regular and affixed duties.

('74 Code, § 12-1-2-20) (Ord. 96-1973) Penalty, see § 12-1-99

Criminal Trespass 5707, 12-2-3

§ 12-2-3 CRIMINAL TRESPASS.

Criminal trespass consists of unlawfully entering or remaining upon the lands or property of another knowing that any consent to enter or remain has been denied or withdrawn by the person or persons lawfully in possession of the premises or after the request or demand to leave the premises by the authorized representative of the person or persons lawfully in possession of the premises.

('74 Code, § 12-1-2-3) (Ord. 96-1973; Am. Ord. 78-1978) Penalty, see § 12-1-99
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by goalie
yup-and during jury selection, make sure that your attorney asks the prospective jurors questions like:

do you travel by air and if yes, how often
when was your last flight
how do you feel about airport security

first one that says, "i feel much safer with the tsa" get's "the defendant would like to thank and excuse juror #..." faster than you can say "glove save and a beauty" as ya gots ta weed out them sheeple
One more:

Do you frequent FT TSS and if so what is your nom de guerre?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmocek
We've requested two continuances. It was originally set for February, then May.
Objection withdrawn...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Ah, at least our taxes are going to good use. Sheesh. What a bunch of schmucks.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
One more:

Do you frequent FT TSS and if so what is your nom de guerre?
Oh, you're Spiff? Welcome to the jury!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:55 pm

Wish I could be on that jury, P., but I no longer live in New Mexico.

I am new this board and I have to say this thread is a real eye-opener. I shouldn't be surprised, but still, I am. FOUR misdemeanors???? Trespassing???

Can someone repost the information about how I can contribute to the defense fund?

Never mind about the link - I see it in Phil's sig line.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 2, 2010 at 7:03 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:09 pm

Can I be on the Jury?

FB
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by LuvsParis
Can someone repost the information about how I can contribute to the defense fund?
Thanks for the offer to help. You can donate via Paypal or by sending a check directly to my attorney:

FREEDMAN BOYD HOLLANDER
20 FIRST PLAZA CTR NW STE 700
ALBUQUERQUE NM 87102-5802
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:05 pm

Wish I could help more, Phil. As someone who does read Albuquerque newspapers with fair regularity (used to live there), I'll try and chime in, a highly reasoned way, on comments on stories related to your case.

New Mexico is a land of individualists, persons who regard themselves as independent and unique (a lot like Wyoming), but Albuquerque has plenty of sheeple. Still, one strong individualist on the jury and it may help.

What I find deplorable is the number of charges brought against you (they're trying to get you to plead out on one of them). Juries frequently view this as, in itself, "evidence" that you must have done something wrong. Hopefully, your attorney can get a reasonably intelligent jury to see that this is the bullying tactic in play.

I will say that I think people in Albuquerque aren't as dumbed down as in some American cities...wish I could be on that jury, too! (Me and FB...that's all it would take).

Shamefully, I once sat on a jury, in my youth, where I and another juror who wanted to acquit were bullied by the foreman and the bailiff into capitulating on a compromise (where we convicted on what we thought was the least of the charges - only to find out later that the poor man in question would receive the same sentence, anyway). Since then, I've learned a lot. I look forward to jury duty - but haven't been called in years (is it because I answer truthfully on their forms? that I believe in jury nullification? )

Naw, it's just not my turn yet - but when I get another chance, I will gladly sit on a jury (my job will pay me to do my civic duty). Last time I went, a lawyer seated next to me in panel box was not only into jury nullification, but declared that, being a criminal defense attorney, he might be biased. Judge asked him, "Are you saying that you will fail to be fair in your approach to the law and facts in this case?" The lawyer said, "I'll be fair, according to my own ideas of fairness." He was placed on that jury.

We have a fast track trial system though, in which unless you have some kind of medical or financial reason not to serve, you're gonna serve on a jury (unless you actually act completely crazy in front of the court).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Arrested 11/16/2009
Jury Trial 06/14/2010

Nice speedy trial...
That is actually rather fast, leaving aside the continuances Phil's team asked for.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:20 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LuvsParis
What I find deplorable is the number of charges brought against you (they're trying to get you to plead out on one of them). Juries frequently view this as, in itself, "evidence" that you must have done something wrong. Hopefully, your attorney can get a reasonably intelligent jury to see that this is the bullying tactic in play.
Hopefully one or more charges will be dismissed before any of it gets before a jury.

Originally Posted by N1120A
That is actually rather fast, leaving aside the continuances Phil's team asked for.
Agree.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Firebug4
Can I be on the Jury?

FB
Maybe or maybe not. Depends if the judge will let you know if you go on trials.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Ari
Hopefully one or more charges will be dismissed before any of it gets before a jury.
If I were a defense attorney, I might want them to try to bring a charge of trespassing in an airport against a passenger who had purchased a ticket. (That's aside from all the technical stuff which throws out most of the charges, and the factual stuff that throws out the rest provided they don't "lose" the videotapes.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.