Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by SgtScott31
If you would call during normal business hours, you will get the receptionist at the number I've already provided or you could try 615-275-1675. . . . If they will not connect you directly to them, then I assume they are only available when we (MNAA and/or it's employees/representatives) are involved in civil/criminal litigation and you meet them in court.
I am at least glad to now know that there is a separate legal department, but that number is just another main number for the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, which is of no help.

You offered for us to "consult with [your] legal folks", but yet now you won't give us a name and direct number and even think that they may not be willing to talk to us. So at this point your offer is hollow.

So why don't you make contact on Monday with the appropriate attorney and then give out the name and number for us to contact him. I will even take a PM with the name and number.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:38 pm

What matters is the airport authority's definition of commercial filming / photography. Hence why they have a form you have to fill out to do it on their property. Like I said, I could care less, but part of my job is enforcing their policies. That's what they pay me to do.

We're getting off topic. This thread is regarding the arrest in ABQ and not strictly about taking pictures or filming in an airport. Although it may have contributed to the arrest, the initial starting point of this incident was the fact that Phil wanted to see what happened when he refused to show ID and felt that filming the incident was necessary. He wasn't approached and arrested for taking snapshots of the ticket counter.
What matters is the legal definition of "commercial" filming.

Easy rule of thumb is this, is the shoot for a movie or commercial? Yes, then it is a commercial shoot. Does the shoot involve a model? Yes, then it is a commercial shoot.

Is the subject "newsworthy" (very broad definition) then the shoot is non commercial even if the photographer makes money off of it.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My opinion really doesn't matter. The main question is, did he hinder the LEO in any way during the performance of his official duties. If he immediately provided a boarding pass with his name, then the statute may have been met. It depends on all of the involved circumstances surrounding the event and whether the LEO believed he (phil) satisfied the ID requirement. I hate to second-guess other LEOs without actually being in their shoes.
Sounds like a trumped up charge, just like the trespass. Those two charges will probably be dismissed.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Really? funny, the policy listed by the airport authority is pretty cut and dry regarding commercial photography without consent.
Airport policy isn't law, however. PTravel was talking about the law. Just because the airport has a specific policy doesn't mean that said policy would necessarily hold up when challenged in court.

You could walk into a Macys and they could kick you out for no reason at all if you are not buying their merchandise. Same concept with the airport.
If the airport is a public (read: government-owned) facility, then no, the same concept does not apply.

I would like to think it's the same reason you don't have permission to come on to my land or in my house to take photos
Your land and your house are private property; the airport is not.

Comparing persons that abide by security requirements to fly in the U.S. against the atrocities that occurred in Germany is, well, ridiculous in my opinion.
Very well, how about comparing it to something like Japanese internment camps during the McCarthy era? All of that was done in the name of security, as well, and millions of Americans were perfectly content with (even supportive of) that, as well. McCarthyism is, in fact, not all that different from what is happening now, both at the airport and elsewhere.

The comparison to the Holocaust is only "ridiculous" on the surface, because of the magnitude of the Holocaust and the extent to which it was carried; it is naďve, at best, to ignore the foundation upon which those atrocities were laid. The very beginning of the Holocaust was merely the institution of discriminatory policy, which was accepted by the people (including those against whom it discriminated!) as status quo and "not that big a deal." Some of those policies were billed as security measures, too. While one is hopeful that we would never let situations escalate to the same level as back then, it's imperative to remember that the road that led to Holocaust started out not all that dissimilar from today's situation.

(PTravel, I have to say that reading your Godwin paragraph was eerie, because it is almost verbatim to what I was thinking of posting earlier today.)
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:42 pm

I thought you and others might want to take a gander at this as well:

http://www.nashintl.com/newsroom/mediaBooklet.pdf
Well we know that this statement is not legally enforceable and, as such, has a chilling effect on the rights of photographers:

Please note: With the increased security, filming of the security checkpoints is off-limits.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
No, it isn't the same concept. Most large airports like BNA or PHX are municipally run or overseen by a board appointed by some government body. There are some restrictions but an airport can't just order you off the property on a whim or because they don't like something you are doing that isn't prohibited by statute or ordinance. An airport "policy" does not carry the force of law.

Besides, how would you ever decide what is or is not a legitimate reason for me to be at an airport? Outside of criminal activity as defined by the law, what could I be doing that is not a legitimate reason for being in an airport? Who would make that determination?

2.60.220 No person may loiter or loaf on any part of the airport property. If a loitering or loafing person is told by a safety and security officer to move on or leave the airport property, he shall do so.

Vagrants, baggage thieves, pickpockets, shoplifters, and sexual preds come to mind of those who come to the airport who have no legitimate reason to be here.

As far as determining a legitimate reason, yes it's difficult to do, but someone hanging around for a real long time tend to grab the attention of airline employees, skycaps, paranoid passengers and police officers. Obviously if you're not flying, you are not getting beyond security. If you hang out in the open forward-areas long enough, you get noticed, at least in an airport of this size.

There is a board of directors in which the Mayor of Nashville sits on and the airport president/CEO answers to the board of directors. It is a quasi-government body, but it is still private property open to the public for the purpose of air transit.

The real argument here between the majority is whether or not the airport is "private" enough to enforce its own rules and regulations as another private entity would be able to. Many here say "no." I've worked here just under 10 years and I have enforced state and local laws as well as airport rules/regulations. If you care to challenge the authority of those regulations and their legality, that's fine by me. Everything is open for interpretation and the civil/criminal courts will have the last say in the matter. As I mentioned in Phil's case, if you have the time, money, and stress-handling to attempt to challenge it by being arrested of filing your own civil suit, that's your perrogative.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:56 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
2.60.220 No person may loiter or loaf on any part of the airport property. If a loitering or loafing person is told by a safety and security officer to move on or leave the airport property, he shall do so.

Vagrants, baggage thieves, pickpockets, shoplifters, and sexual preds come to mind of those who come to the airport who have no legitimate reason to be here.
All of those could be pax, or want to patronize a pre-security business, or admire the beautiful architecture... the list is quite long.

Besides, most people in an airport are loitering or loaf[ing?], or at least appear to be engaged in such [non]activities. How would one distinguish illegal loitering from legal waiting around?

Last edited by ralfp; Dec 19, 2009 at 12:10 pm Reason: silly spelling error
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:00 pm

I would consider that ordinance on its face to be unconstitutionally vague based on Chicago v. Morales. So now that is two strikes.

There is a board of directors in which the Mayor of Nashville sits on and the airport president/CEO answers to the board of directors. It is a quasi-government body, but it is still private property open to the public for the purpose of air transit.

The real argument here between the majority is whether or not the airport is "private" enough to enforce its own rules and regulations as another private entity would be able to. Many here say "no." I've worked here just under 10 years and I have enforced state and local laws as well as airport rules/regulations. If you care to challenge the authority of those regulations and their legality, that's fine by me. Everything is open for interpretation and the civil/criminal courts will have the last say in the matter. As I mentioned in Phil's case, if you have the time, money, and stress-handling to attempt to challenge it by being arrested of filing your own civil suit, that's your perrogative.
That is the same discredited argument you have made before. BNA is public. It is a government-run operation. It is not private no matter how much you want to think so. It is much closer to a public street than a private business on what can be restricted.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I am at least glad to now know that there is a separate legal department, but that number is just another main number for the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, which is of no help.

You offered for us to "consult with [your] legal folks", but yet now you won't give us a name and direct number and even think that they may not be willing to talk to us. So at this point your offer is hollow.

So why don't you make contact on Monday with the appropriate attorney and then give out the name and number for us to contact him. I will even take a PM with the name and number.
I don't make it a point to throw out names of persons on public internet forums if they're not already available to you on the internet, especially those in the hirearchy of where I am employed. Stick with the numbers I gave you and you will get what you need during the appropriate hours. You should know that most attorneys don't work after hours. I am not avoiding the situation. I personally have never sued the airport or challenged the policies which are in place, so I don't know who is the direct contact person you will speak to regarding the issue. I would like to think it will be someone in the legal department, but it may be someone specific and I am not going to overstep my bounds and take a guess. I'm sure you can wait 12 hours and find out for yourself.

Airport policy isn't law, however. PTravel was talking about the law. Just because the airport has a specific policy doesn't mean that said policy would necessarily hold up when challenged in court.
Very true.

Very well, how about comparing it to something like Japanese internment camps during the McCarthy era
Japanese internment camps, Nazi Germany, whatever the case may be, the opinion of the majority is normally the common denominator in these instances. The majority opinion of Americans (in my opinion) is that, yes, TSA and some of their policies are a pain, but not enough to sway everyone from flying or definitely not a belief that they're stripping us of our Constitutional freedoms on a daily basis as so many here tend to imply.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
I'm invoking Godwin's Law... enough with the reductio ad Hitlerum.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think it bears repeating - a public airport (one owned and operated by a state, municipal or other government, funded and operating with taxpayer money) is public, not private property.

Outside of FAA (and unfortunately, TSA) regulations pertaining to what can occur on airport property, the terminal (non-sterile side), access roads and other public spaces which are not part of the AOA are public property.

This issue was tested in court eons ago - I believe it was LAX that tried to ban Hare Krishna and other groups from handing out pamphlets in the terminal. They went to court, and the ruling came down that the terminal area was a public space, owned by the public and those groups could hand out pamphlets and setup tables to do whatever.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
I'm invoking Godwin's Law... enough with the reductio ad Hitlerum.
second
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Really? funny, the policy listed by the airport authority is pretty cut and dry regarding commercial photography without consent.

---
Really? you couldn't type BNA in google and find it on your own?

The general info number for the Authority is 615-275-1600. They can direct you to the legal office.

If it's private property, I'm not sure what statute is needed for them to be able to make and enforce their own policies. You could walk into a Macys and they could kick you out for no reason at all if you are not buying their merchandise. Same concept with the airport. If you have no legitimate reason for being there, then we can ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, you can be cited/arrested for trespassing. This helps with loitering and vagrancy, although we do have policies on those as well.
Sarge,

I can do better for you. It is not, repeat not private property. It is not Macys or Sears. It is public property. From the FAA records:
(FAA Airport/Facility Directory 17 DEC 2009 -- My copy just arrived in the mail)

KBNA ownership information:

Ownership: Publicly-owned
Owner: METRO NASHVILLE ARPT AUTH
ONE TERMINAL DR. SUITE 501
NASHVILLE, TN 37214
Phone 615-275-1600
Manager: RAUL REGALADO
ONE TERMINAL DR. SUITE 501
NASHVILLE, TN 37214
Phone 615-275-1600

Airports have often attempted to enforce an unenforceable rule which has cost them literally millions of dollars. (See Administrator v. Daley, U.S.A v. City of Santa Monica, etc.)

I would like to think it's the same reason you don't have permission to come on to my land or in my house to take photos unless invited (or buying a plane ticket/rental car/picking up-dropping off in the airport's case).
Obviously, but I can take a picture of your house and the inside of your house as long as I am a.) on the public right of way, b.) not obstructing traffic and c.) your blinds are open. I may not set one foot on your property without your permission. Nor may you, especially you, as a cop, set even one foot on my property without my permission or a warrant from a court of competent jurisdiction. The difference is that your house and land and mine are indeed private property. Private airports do exist. The owners of these airports are frequently quite restrictive on whom they will allow to use those airports. Since they are private and public money is not available for them, they are free to do this. BNA is not one of them. Nor is ABQ.

Fortunately for the general public, what a person in authority would like to think is occasionally contrary to the laws that govern their behavior. Authorities are thus banned from acting on those thoughts.

Don't want me taking pictures? Then you have to put up a fence. But I'd check with Google Earth and the EOS satellites too, since they have also taken a quite detailed picture of your house. And that's on the internet.

Nope. I'm simply trying to give explanation from the LEO point of view. Since most of the advise/info on this thread is coming from a non-LEO standpoint. I thought my .02 should be added since I'm also in the airport arena.
Your advice in interesting and your perspective is appreciated, but airports are public property, paid for by the public through taxes. The airport authority is certainly free to promulgate any unlawful regulation it wishes, but does so at their peril.

I am not conversant in TN accommodations laws, but the public accommodations laws in my state are exquisitely clear. You may not deny a member of the public access to public or property held out to the public, unless that person is disturbing the peace or hindering the owner's use of his property for its lawful purposes. This includes Macy's and university libraries. (Something that dates back to the "separate but equal days" of the '60s).
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:14 pm

I don't make it a point to throw out names of persons on public internet forums if they're not already available to you on the internet, especially those in the hirearchy of where I am employed. Stick with the numbers I gave you and you will get what you need during the appropriate hours. You should know that most attorneys don't work after hours. I am not avoiding the situation. I personally have never sued the airport or challenged the policies which are in place, so I don't know who is the direct contact person you will speak to regarding the issue. I would like to think it will be someone in the legal department, but it may be someone specific and I am not going to overstep my bounds and take a guess. I'm sure you can wait 12 hours and find out for yourself.
Then don't make offers that you are unwilling to follow through with. You said to contact your legal folks and now you don't even know who it would be, much less that they will be willing to talk to me without calling directly. You are avoiding the situation and have been completely unhelpful.

I even offered for you to PM the name and number to me, but you think that it is better that I dial the number you gave me, which is just a computer with nine options, none of which get one directly to who I would need to speak to.

12 hours? They will be working on Saturday?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:20 pm

I would consider that ordinance on its face to be unconstitutionally vague based on Chicago v. Morales. So now that is two strikes.
Two strikes? I guess you sit on the US Supreme Court and have already decided that the Morales case is exactly like the policy in place at the airport, applies in the exact same standard, hence making it unconstitutional. Wow, I didn't know someone could do that over the internet. Tell you what, come down and get arrested for loitering and file for a dismissal using Morales as your case law and we'll see where it goes. Given the fact that this is occurring in an airport and not some public park or section 8 housing, I bet the odds would be against you, but that has yet to be determined. If you read in the Morales case the main issue of the law was that it was.."impermissibly vague on its face and an arbitrary restriction on personal liberties..." I don't see how removing you from the airport if you're not flying is a restriction on your personal liberties, buy hey, go for it. You should know better than attempt to put one SCOTUS decision on here and expect it to apply to any loitering law across the US, especially in a secure environment such as an airport.

That is the same discredited argument you have made before. BNA is public. It is a government-run operation. It is not private no matter how much you want to think so. It is much closer to a public street than a private business on what can be restricted.
110% your opinion, which doesn't mean squat if you don't have TN case law or precedent to back it up. It is not so-much public as you want to think it is and that's where have always disagreed. You don't work here, you don't live here, you have not tried cases under TN or Nashville/Davidson County law, yet you seem to be an expert on the subject. Until I have a TN, 6th Circuit Appellate or US Supreme Court that tells me otherwise, your opinion holds no weight and I will continue to take whatever actions are necessary under what is in the fine print. Laws are changed every day and case law determines my actions as a police officer. Telling me our airport policies are illegal or unconstitutional without anything to back it up but assumptions is not really ruffling my feathers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.