Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I totally agree. If the government believes that someone has committed a crime, then that person should be arrested and tried for it. Restricting people's travel based on what the government thinks they might be planning to do in the future is reminiscent of "thought crime" in Orwell's 1984.
Bruce
If they're planning a crime, and any action has been taken towards committing it (even an action that by itself is quite legal, like buying a crowbar) and there's more than one person involved, they've committed the crime of conspiracy.

If they're merely mentally contemplating a crime, they haven't done anything illegal.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by star_world
I'm sure that makes sense to you mate but... bit hard to work out what's going on in your mind there...
Suspecting is a state of mind. I have a reasonable amount of control over my own mind, and I can suspect TSORon of being a terrorist quite easily.

By definition, that makes TSORon a suspected terrorist.

TSORon has stated that he believes that it is quite acceptable for Constitutional Rights of people to be violated if they're suspected terrorists.

Since TSORon is now a suspected terrorist, I ask him how he feels about having his rights violated for that reason.

I'm fairly certain that (if he responds) he's going to state that "suspected terrorist" should only apply to the peasantry, not to the high-and-mighty employees of TSA or other government agencies (though he won't word it quite that way), and that only the suspicions of the high-and-mighty matter, not those of the peasantry.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by sethb
If they're planning a crime, and any action has been taken towards committing it (even an action that by itself is quite legal, like buying a crowbar) and there's more than one person involved, they've committed the crime of conspiracy.

If they're merely mentally contemplating a crime, they haven't done anything illegal.
Been studying for the bar exam, have you? BarBri's MBE review?

Unfortunately, in the "current Post 9/11 Environment", silly little things like the law don't seem to matter to our government.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I totally agree. If the government believes that someone has committed a crime, then that person should be arrested and tried for it. Restricting people's travel based on what the government thinks they might be planning to do in the future is reminiscent of "thought crime" in Orwell's 1984.

Seth, you seem to conflate suspicion of wrongdoing with conviction by a judge or jury of having done wrong. I don't want us to blacklist people and indefinitely restrict their movement based on accusations of conspiring to commit a crime any more than I want us to blacklist them based on accusations that they have committed crimes or on accusations that they are likely to later commit crimes all by themselves.

This Homeland Security blacklisting -- the primary reason for TSA's airport ID check -- is extra-judicial punishment. We're punishing people based on accusations. Before the blacklists were implemented, we already had processes to restrict the movement of people based on a judge's ruling. The blacklisting simply allows our executive branch of government to sidestep the judicial branch, handing out punishment -- for any reason they like or no reason at all -- without the involvement of a judge or jury. If you believe that America should be as this nation's founders intended, Homeland Security's blacklisting is wholly un-American.

Quoting the Identity Project's "What's Wrong With Showing ID?" page:
Honest people [...] go to Pro-Life rallies. Honest people go to Pro-Choice rallies, too. Honest people attend gun shows. Honest people protest the actions of the President of the United States. Honest people fly to political conventions. What if those with the power to put people on a 'no fly' list decided that they didn't like the reason for which you wanted to travel? The honest people wouldn't be going anywhere.

[...]

Another program which depends on showing ID is the Watch List and No-Fly List. Airlines are issued these secret lists by the federal government and are required to request ID from their passengers in order to check them against the secret lists. This has resulted in countless citizens with names similar to bad people being harassed, arrested, or prevented from traveling by aircraft including every person named 'David Nelson'.

Much has been done to make travel by air safer. Cockpit doors have been secured, pilots are armed, and Air Marshals patrol airplane cabins. Increased physical security at airports has dramatically increased the safety of our nation's skies. Above all, the mindset of the flying public has also changed: no longer will passengers remain passive in the event of a skyjacking.

The demand for ID does nothing for security while making honest Americans less free.

Every government that has imposed totalitarian rules told its populace that it was doing so to "uphold freedom" or "improve the security of the homeland" or "root out terrorists and subversives." These ends do not justify unconstitutional means. We uphold freedom by exercising it – not by restricting it.

Using this country's transportation system to conduct a dragnet, using government secret lists of wanted people, degrades our freedom and makes people less inclined to voice their opinion for fear of ending up on these secret lists. While the present administration may have benevolent intentions to justify their actions, our future is imperiled by this wholly un-American activity.

Last edited by pmocek; Dec 8, 2009 at 9:39 am Reason: note reasoning behind blacklisting, extra-judicial punishment, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
Seth, you seem to conflate suspicion of wrongdoing with conviction by a judge or jury of having done wrong.
Exactly the opposite. I'm pointing out that it makes no sense to do so, by "suspecting" anybody who believes it does. That puts them on the "loss of rights" side of their own argument, and sometimes (albeit rarely) convinces them to consider their position using logic (which leads to changing it).
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Given the current mood of the congress to engage in actions that further bring the populace under control of government I think we may be pushing rope when hoping for correction within DHS/TSA.
True, but fortunately the Republicans are in the minority so it's unlikely that any of their legislation will get passed.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pmocek
This Homeland Security blacklisting -- the primary reason for TSA's airport ID check -- is extra-judicial punishment. We're punishing people based on accusations. Before the blacklists were implemented, we already had processes to restrict the movement of people based on a judge's ruling. The blacklisting simply allows our executive branch of government to sidestep the judicial branch, handing out punishment -- for any reason they like or no reason at all -- without the involvement of a judge or jury. If you believe that America should be as this nation's founders intended, Homeland Security's blacklisting is wholly un-American.
So beautifully stated it needs to be repeated.

Bruce
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
True, but fortunately the Republicans are in the minority so it's unlikely that any of their legislation will get passed.
We certainly have a difference of opinion of this point.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When has either major party actually decreased the power of the government to rule the people?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Can we keep this about the OP issue? I'd like the issue to stay in TS/S, personally.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by doober
Good for Phil!!!!! Yes, TK, this could get very interesting. Phil hit all sorts of hot buttons at once. I admire him.

If you read Sherri's blog a little further you will see that apparently her doctor's office is requiring a photo ID each and every time a patient comes in for a visit - in compliance with some FTC rule, allegedly designed to stop identity theft. Seems to me the more often one is required to have one's ID available for review and scanning, the greater the chance of having one's identity stolen.

Photo ID to see doctor
This has more to do with insurance fraud. You would be surprised by the number of people who use their mother, father, sister, brothers, friends, etc... insurance card to obtain health care. It is a real problem at one of my family member's practice and he has had to reimburse the insurance company for the claim. So essentially the doctor is stuck footing the bill and taking a loss because there is no way the insurance fraud seeking patient is going to pay the doctor.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
There's also an issue with confidentiality of medical records under HIPAA. No doctor wants to discuss medical history with someone who may not be the patient. That can be a serious crime.

Bruce
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:43 pm

There's also an issue with confidentiality of medical records under HIPAA. No doctor wants to discuss medical history with someone who may not be the patient. That can be a serious crime.

Bruce
Right on the money, my wife works in a hospital and this is all about HIPPA confidentiality.
It is now a Federal Law and within it is given the right to request a picture ID. I used my library card once and then my work ID, both have pictures. The reception gal asked for a DL, and I handed her my library card and she never said a word (guess she didn't know the difference).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Library card

Originally Posted by rgfloor
Right on the money, my wife works in a hospital and this is all about HIPPA confidentiality.
It is now a Federal Law and within it is given the right to request a picture ID. I used my library card once and then my work ID, both have pictures. The reception gal asked for a DL, and I handed her my library card and she never said a word (guess she didn't know the difference).
Just curious. What state are you in that requires a photo library card?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
From the blog:

Any legal basis for ordering a traveling companion to leave an airport under threat of arrest or for "banning" that companion from the airport property for 24 hours? Did the iron fist BNA cop move to ABQ and take over their airport police force?
Mr. Phil's case has grabbed my attention and guess what I find reading through the first few pages of posts here on FT. None other than someone throwing an insult my way from a post over a year ago regarding policies at BNA. Seriously? let it goooo....If you think I'm an "iron fist," feel free to contact me by PM next time you're through BNA and we'll have a chat. There's quite a difference between talking to one in person versus sitting behind a monitor with ridiculous insults. I can't believe reading through here I still have people referring to my posts made over a year ago. I guess it's sort of flattering.

As far as your case Phil, I don't know the specific circumstances and I'm sure you can't elaborate, but many will be paying attention the court hearing coming up in Feb. I just hope the thousands of dollars being shelled out by you and others is worth it.

Actually I'm surprised I haven't seen the recent cases here on FT where searches and subsequent arrests have been thrown out due to TSA overstepping the administrative search, or maybe I didn't go through enough of the threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.