Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by studentff
Your America is not my America.

Our government has not had secret blacklists that deny people basic freedoms continuously since it's inception. When such things have happened (Red Scares, WWI, WWII Japanese-American interments), they have been heavily condemned by history and those agencies and individuals who have supported them have paid a price.
Not a big enough price -- the very existence of TSA proves that. We should have had our own Nuremberg Trials and hangings over the Japanese internments.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by n4zhg
Not a big enough price -- the very existence of TSA proves that. We should have had our own Nuremberg Trials and hangings over the Japanese internments.
Let's not Omni this thread. If the Germans had treated their "interments" like we did the Japanese interments there would not have been any hangings.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If we can get him to go would you promise to keep him?
Oh gawd, we have enough idiots other here as it is trying to screw down our freedoms!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
oldjonesy-

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldjonesy
Oh gawd, we have enough idiots other here as it is trying to screw down our freedoms!
He doesn't have to work at the airport, he can go to Australia Zoo as a croc feeder.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n4zhg
He doesn't have to work at the airport, he can go to Australia Zoo as a croc feed.

Fix it for ya!
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:02 am
Suspended

Fix it for ya!
I was trying to be nice, Dawg.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TSORon
If such a list existed then I might have problems with it, depending on the class of people on the list. Suspected terrorists? Not one problem at all.
Well, Ron, given your attitude towards Constitutional Rights, I suspect you of being a terrorist.

So you find it acceptable for you not to be allowed into the secure area of airports, right? Guess you'll have to find another job.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
Well, Ron, given your attitude towards Constitutional Rights, I suspect you of being a terrorist.

So you find it acceptable for you not to be allowed into the secure area of airports, right? Guess you'll have to find another job.
I'm sure that makes sense to you mate but... bit hard to work out what's going on in your mind there...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by star_world
I'm sure that makes sense to you mate but... bit hard to work out what's going on in your mind there...
Think about it. It's not that hard. Innocent until proven guilty mean anything to you? To traitors and other anti-Americans it might not make sense.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by star_world
It made sense to me as well. I'll explain.

Boggie Dog asked:
Ron, I take it that you have no problems with a secret list that keeps a person from using all available means of travel even while there is no way to confirm that a given person is on that list and no effective way to get off the list.
Ron responded by saying that he supports blacklisting some people, namely "suspected terrorists".
Originally Posted by TSORon
If such a list existed then I might have problems with it, depending on the class of people on the list. Suspected terrorists? Not one problem at all. I would prefer that they stay in their home towns and live their lives without ever harming or being given the chance of harming any innocent person.
Seth pointed out that Ron is a suspected terrorist, asked Ron to confirm that he believes its acceptable for us to prohibit "suspected terrorists" (e.g., Ron) from entering the secure areas of airports, and reminded Ron that this would prevent him from doing his job:
Originally Posted by sethb

In my opinion, the only special treatment we should give people who we have good reason to suspect of having committed acts of terrorism is a trial, and possibly brief imprisonment or strict supervision between the time of the accusation being made and the time of the trial. We should not indefinitely restrict people's freedom of movement based on suspicion of previous wrongdoing, much less on suspicion of intent to do wrong in the future. Restricting their movement based on the fact that someone anonymously blacklisted them is unconscionable.

In the United States, we're not supposed to punish people based on accusations, but that's just what Ron advocates. The rule of law, not the rule of men, is fundamental to our freedom. TSA should get past the idea of hassling people or completely barring them from air travel because someone secretly added them to a blacklist, and simply ensure that no one carries weapons, explosives, or incendiaries onto airplanes.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pmocek
...We should not indefinitely restrict people's freedom of movement based on suspicion of previous wrongdoing, much less on suspicion of intent to do wrong in the future. Restricting their movement based on the fact that someone anonymously blacklisted them is unconscionable....
I totally agree. If the government believes that someone has committed a crime, then that person should be arrested and tried for it. Restricting people's travel based on what the government thinks they might be planning to do in the future is reminiscent of "thought crime" in Orwell's 1984.

Bruce
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I totally agree. If the government believes that someone has committed a crime, then that person should be arrested and tried for it. Restricting people's travel based on what the government thinks they might be planning to do in the future is reminiscent of "thought crime" in Orwell's 1984.

Bruce
^^
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pmocek
In the United States, we're not supposed to punish people based on accusations, but that's just what Ron advocates. The rule of law, not the rule of men, is fundamental to our freedom. TSA should get past the idea of hassling people or completely barring them from air travel because someone secretly added them to a blacklist, and simply ensure that no one carries weapons, explosives, or incendiaries onto airplanes.
^^ TSA is increasingly becoming a government agency that has no respect for the Constitution and the rule of law. Their attitude is dangerous, and it's time for Congress - or the Courts - to do something about it.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
^^ TSA is increasingly becoming a government agency that has no respect for the Constitution and the rule of law. Their attitude is dangerous, and it's time for Congress - or the Courts - to do something about it.
Given the current mood of the congress to engage in actions that further bring the populace under control of government I think we may be pushing rope when hoping for correction within DHS/TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.