FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1017373-flyer-processed-arrested-nm-after-declining-show-id.html)

n4zhg Nov 28, 2009 3:48 am

Originally Posted by studentff (Post 12867895)
Your America is not my America.

Our government has not had secret blacklists that deny people basic freedoms continuously since it's inception. When such things have happened (Red Scares, WWI, WWII Japanese-American interments), they have been heavily condemned by history and those agencies and individuals who have supported them have paid a price.

Not a big enough price -- the very existence of TSA proves that. We should have had our own Nuremberg Trials and hangings over the Japanese internments.

Trollkiller Nov 28, 2009 4:19 am

Originally Posted by n4zhg (Post 12890079)
Not a big enough price -- the very existence of TSA proves that. We should have had our own Nuremberg Trials and hangings over the Japanese internments.

Let's not Omni this thread. If the Germans had treated their "interments" like we did the Japanese interments there would not have been any hangings.

oldjonesy Nov 28, 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 12881722)
If we can get him to go would you promise to keep him?:D

Oh gawd, we have enough idiots other here as it is trying to screw down our freedoms!

tom911 Nov 28, 2009 11:39 pm

oldjonesy-

Welcome to FlyerTalk :)

n4zhg Nov 29, 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by oldjonesy (Post 12893366)
Oh gawd, we have enough idiots other here as it is trying to screw down our freedoms!

He doesn't have to work at the airport, he can go to Australia Zoo as a croc feeder. :)

Boggie Dog Nov 29, 2009 8:17 am

Originally Posted by n4zhg (Post 12894062)
He doesn't have to work at the airport, he can go to Australia Zoo as a croc feed. :)

Fix it for ya!:p

n4zhg Nov 29, 2009 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 12894275)
Fix it for ya!:p

I was trying to be nice, Dawg. :D

sethb Dec 7, 2009 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon (Post 12877478)
If such a list existed then I might have problems with it, depending on the class of people on the list. Suspected terrorists? Not one problem at all.

Well, Ron, given your attitude towards Constitutional Rights, I suspect you of being a terrorist.

So you find it acceptable for you not to be allowed into the secure area of airports, right? Guess you'll have to find another job.

star_world Dec 7, 2009 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 12945144)
Well, Ron, given your attitude towards Constitutional Rights, I suspect you of being a terrorist.

So you find it acceptable for you not to be allowed into the secure area of airports, right? Guess you'll have to find another job.

I'm sure that makes sense to you mate but... bit hard to work out what's going on in your mind there...

GUWonder Dec 7, 2009 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 12945915)
I'm sure that makes sense to you mate but... bit hard to work out what's going on in your mind there...

Think about it. It's not that hard. Innocent until proven guilty mean anything to you? To traitors and other anti-Americans it might not make sense.

pmocek Dec 8, 2009 12:38 am

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 12945915)

It made sense to me as well. I'll explain.

Boggie Dog asked:

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 12872588)
Ron, I take it that you have no problems with a secret list that keeps a person from using all available means of travel even while there is no way to confirm that a given person is on that list and no effective way to get off the list.

Ron responded by saying that he supports blacklisting some people, namely "suspected terrorists".

Originally Posted by TSORon (Post 12877478)
If such a list existed then I might have problems with it, depending on the class of people on the list. Suspected terrorists? Not one problem at all. I would prefer that they stay in their home towns and live their lives without ever harming or being given the chance of harming any innocent person.

Seth pointed out that Ron is a suspected terrorist, asked Ron to confirm that he believes its acceptable for us to prohibit "suspected terrorists" (e.g., Ron) from entering the secure areas of airports, and reminded Ron that this would prevent him from doing his job:

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 12945144)

In my opinion, the only special treatment we should give people who we have good reason to suspect of having committed acts of terrorism is a trial, and possibly brief imprisonment or strict supervision between the time of the accusation being made and the time of the trial. We should not indefinitely restrict people's freedom of movement based on suspicion of previous wrongdoing, much less on suspicion of intent to do wrong in the future. Restricting their movement based on the fact that someone anonymously blacklisted them is unconscionable.

In the United States, we're not supposed to punish people based on accusations, but that's just what Ron advocates. The rule of law, not the rule of men, is fundamental to our freedom. TSA should get past the idea of hassling people or completely barring them from air travel because someone secretly added them to a blacklist, and simply ensure that no one carries weapons, explosives, or incendiaries onto airplanes.

bdschobel Dec 8, 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by pmocek (Post 12946075)
...We should not indefinitely restrict people's freedom of movement based on suspicion of previous wrongdoing, much less on suspicion of intent to do wrong in the future. Restricting their movement based on the fact that someone anonymously blacklisted them is unconscionable....

I totally agree. If the government believes that someone has committed a crime, then that person should be arrested and tried for it. Restricting people's travel based on what the government thinks they might be planning to do in the future is reminiscent of "thought crime" in Orwell's 1984.

Bruce

IslandBased Dec 8, 2009 6:27 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 12946891)
I totally agree. If the government believes that someone has committed a crime, then that person should be arrested and tried for it. Restricting people's travel based on what the government thinks they might be planning to do in the future is reminiscent of "thought crime" in Orwell's 1984.

Bruce

^^

halls120 Dec 8, 2009 6:37 am

Originally Posted by pmocek (Post 12946075)
In the United States, we're not supposed to punish people based on accusations, but that's just what Ron advocates. The rule of law, not the rule of men, is fundamental to our freedom. TSA should get past the idea of hassling people or completely barring them from air travel because someone secretly added them to a blacklist, and simply ensure that no one carries weapons, explosives, or incendiaries onto airplanes.

^^ TSA is increasingly becoming a government agency that has no respect for the Constitution and the rule of law. Their attitude is dangerous, and it's time for Congress - or the Courts - to do something about it.

Boggie Dog Dec 8, 2009 7:19 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 12946944)
^^ TSA is increasingly becoming a government agency that has no respect for the Constitution and the rule of law. Their attitude is dangerous, and it's time for Congress - or the Courts - to do something about it.

Given the current mood of the congress to engage in actions that further bring the populace under control of government I think we may be pushing rope when hoping for correction within DHS/TSA.